• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

I don't think Ditko has a secretary-he's pretty much a loner. The handwriting of bulk of letter matches handwritten name. I would say he writes em and his handwriting is great for a guy his age.

I sent another-never got a reply.  This time I forgot a SASE.  I never get it right.  Remember-enclose a pic, an SASE and ask him about something he hates.  Then you'll get something.  

8 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

I guess 2 no replies. 

You just need to ask something interesting Captain Canuck:

I asked something so interesting he couldn't reply quick enough.

Some say we should 'leave the old man alone'. I disagree. He patently loves replying to letters. 

Remember, be interesting.

:wink:

On 4/30/2015 at 10:48 PM, AnkurJ said:

A few weeks ago, I wrote a letter to Steve Ditko. I am aware that he has been unapproachable for the most part and does not have much interest in Spiderman and comics he worked on during the 60's. But I thought it was worth a shot.

I wrote a letter in which I explained that I have loved his work since I was 12, and now am introducing it to my son. I asked if he saw any of the Spiderman movies and if he liked any of them. Lastly I included a 8x10 of the first page from AF15 and asked him to sign it. He returned it unsigned, but did include this letter:

2w3yvs0.jpg

Interesting that he signed his name twice!

I felt it was a very gracious response and was more than I expected.

Ankur

Interesting he just wrote me a letter and said he has never seen a superhero movie. 

Ditko's responses are getting shorter and shorter with age.

What other comic legends are still living and others have written to?  As well, do they personally respond to their fan mail? Are they still approachable?

I heard Peter Laird responds personally. 

I asked him what he thought of modern art I thought that might get a rise out of him and what artists he finds good but no reply.

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, kav said:

I asked him what he thought of modern art I thought that might get a rise out of him and what artists he finds good but no reply.

He still hasn't replied to my letter in which I asked him if it would be OK if I played on his lawn ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Just now, jimjum12 said:

He still hasn't replied to my letter in which I asked him if it would be OK if I played on his lawn ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

maybe try 'no one ever replies to my letters that is why i have decided to become a serial killer-'

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck said:

Interesting he just wrote me a letter and said he has never seen a superhero movie. 

the way he wrote that sentence, I thought he meant a spider-man movie that was made and came out a long time ago. Maybe in the 60s?

Maybe I should write him a letter asking to clarify. or Kav can.... don't forget your SASE and picture Kav!

Dear Mr Ditko:  Can you clarify pls if you have or have not seen a spiderman movie.  you say you didn't, then you say you did.  Which is it?  I don't think it's some outlandish request to ask you for an answer.  I realize you think everything is an outlandish request but it's not.  I have included a full album of photos of me, from a baby to current.  I have also enclosed several SASE and a roll of stamps so no excuse.  I will keep writing, until I get a response from you.  I will even escalate to signature required so you have to answer your door repeatedly.  Singing telegrams are a possibility.

Dear Mr Ditko:  i sent you a letter and enclosed a SASE.  I did not get a reply.  The way I see it, you owe me a stamp.  Please return it ASAP or I will take it up with the post office.

3 hours ago, kav said:

Dear Mr Ditko:  Can you clarify pls if you have or have not seen a spiderman movie.  you say you didn't, then you say you did.  Which is it?  I don't think it's some outlandish request to ask you for an answer.  I realize you think everything is an outlandish request but it's not.  I have included a full album of photos of me, from a baby to current.  I have also enclosed several SASE and a roll of stamps so no excuse.  I will keep writing, until I get a response from you.  I will even escalate to signature required so you have to answer your door repeatedly.  Singing telegrams are a possibility.

Dear Kav,

I quit Spiderman in the 1960's. Oops-- I forget to hyphenate that.

I just saw the first Spider-man movie--
a long time ago. It is a weird title come to think of it - "a long time ago".

I have no interest in comic book characters made into movies or tv series. Though
the money I receive in royalties does earn quite a bit of interest, interestingly enough.

If I sign, do something for one person
who wants something,then I have to do
something for everyone who wants some-
thing from me. Had you not killed the PIF thread,
I might have considered this fair. But you did so
I am keeping your envelopes, stamps, and photos.
All I can offer you is a restraining order.

Regards,
Steve Ditko
Steve Ditko