• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Responding to low-ball offers on EBAY

88 posts in this topic

What is the consensus here to respond to "best" offers on EBAY when they are less than 50% of a reasonable BIN price? Is it rude to let it just die it's 3 day death? Or should one always respond?

Every offer made, whether I'm the buyer or seller, I always include a note as to how I came up with my number. Sometimes it's hard for the other person to argue logical numbers (sometimes they completely ignore your message and look like a *spoon* anyways). Try a counter offer but include some note as to why you are offering it at that price.

1. Set offers to auto-reject at a price you know you'll never take.

2. Especially when I get an offer via messaging versus a make an offer, I will simply say. "Thanks, but I will pass."

3. If it comes in via make an offer, I will typically counter if I am willing to move on price or I say "Thanks, but I will pass."

2. Especially when I get an offer via messaging versus a make an offer, I will simply say. "Thanks, but I will pass."

3. If it comes in via make an offer, I will typically counter if I am willing to move on price or I say "Thanks, but I will pass."

This.

+2

I think a response would be nice. It's part of doing business and takes a few seconds. As a seller, you got to be the better person (customers come first).

Personally, I think it's worse when a BIN price is ridiculously over the current value.

a reply is always good no matter what if you got the time.

I think the worst is the unsolicited offers. I have gotten this with comics and other items. One examplem is when I was selling a cell phone signal booster. Had it at BIN of $250 and opening bid at $100 ( was brand new but open and went for $350 new) . Someone emails me that they are willing to offer $85 and I should know that my BIN is way too much and I should take there offer as its the best I will get. I just reply back I will let the market figure that out. On that example it sold for almost $275. Have gotten the same ones for comics.

I think the worst is the unsolicited offers. I have gotten this with comics and other items. One examplem is when I was selling a cell phone signal booster. Had it at BIN of $250 and opening bid at $100 ( was brand new but open and went for $350 new) . Someone emails me that they are willing to offer $85 and I should know that my BIN is way too much and I should take there offer as its the best I will get. I just reply back I will let the market figure that out. On that example it sold for almost $275. Have gotten the same ones for comics.

Must be something with cell phones because I've sold a few and always get lowball offers. I had one guy tell me he'd give me $50 and then sent detailed instructions on how to accept his offer like it was the first time I'd ever used a computer. After I politely declined the offer he went on to tell me that I should accept it because people just bid up auctions and then never pay. After I told him I'd take my chances, sure enough I had a NPB; wonder who that was hm

Must be something with cell phones because I've sold a few and always get lowball offers. I had one guy tell me he'd give me $50 and then sent detailed instructions on how to accept his offer like it was the first time I'd ever used a computer. After I politely declined the offer he went on to tell me that I should accept it because people just bid up auctions and then never pay. After I told him I'd take my chances, sure enough I had a NPB; wonder who that was hm

Sold the same phone twice in an auction format. Both times the buyers did not pay. Finally put it with a BIN that required immediate payment. Sold quickly.

If you have make an offer, why would you not be willing to move on the price?

I don't mind people not responding to an offer but if you are not willing to move on the price don't accept offers. I have never made a offer below 20% off but also prefer to look for BIN I am willing to pay.

I don't mind people not responding to an offer but if you are not willing to move on the price don't accept offers. I have never made a offer below 20% off but also prefer to look for BIN I am willing to pay.

More than happy to consider moving on price. In that up to 20% range you mention... :baiting:

Can't you just set the auto decline when the offered price is too low? Then you won't need to be offended and won't need to think of a response?

I always respond as soon as I can. If the offer is relevant, I'll counter. If the offer is a low ball, I decline without making a counter.

With regards to making offers to sellers via messaging who aren't utilizing the "best offer" feature, I do it with some regularity, and have had pretty good success in doing so. Then again, I'm explaining how I got to my $ offer, which is always a fair number. Most sellers want to sell their stuff, after all.

What is the consensus here to respond to "best" offers on EBAY when they are less than 50% of a reasonable BIN price? Is it rude to let it just die it's 3 day death? Or should one always respond?

Depends. Is there a message along with it?

Sometimes, I just ignore it.

Other times, I decline, saying "I really wish I could sell for your asking price (which is true), but that price won't work for me. Thanks for your interest!"

Other times, I counter, and say "this is the best I'm willing to do."

If there are other, "cheaper" copies on eBay, I usually refer them to those.

eBay listings have changed since I have sold some time ago.

Now if you make it BIN there is an automatic 'Make Offer' option. I am ok with reasonable offers. If you are offering 75-90% of the asking price I think the request is normal. If the initial asking price is much greater, as in 150% of the going rate for the item, then asking 50-75% sounds reasonable. However, anyone asking for the moon is likely not interested in reasonable offers from my experience.

Unless you are a modern variant or golden age collector, I can't think of anything that rare that you just can't wait out a good price for the item.

The amount of times I have run into sellers who respond to my (fair) offer with a counter offer that is only $1-2 below the buy-it-now price. ugh. If you are not willing to take offers than don't have the button, and if it is only a buck or two just list it for that amount!

The amount of times I have run into sellers who respond to my (fair) offer with a counter offer that is only $1-2 below the buy-it-now price. ugh. If you are not willing to take offers than don't have the button, and if it is only a buck or two just list it for that amount!

Yes. This. Exactly.

I have seen people repeatedly list the same books (never selling them) for Buy It Now prices that are double what they are worth. If you offer them what the books are actually worth, they counter offer with a price 1% below their original price.

I though eBay was limiting the annual number of Collectible items a seller can list as Buy It Now because of all the unsold items. Did that not take effect yet?

Oh gosh yes, I just had this exact thing today, I made a decent offer on a fairly pricey item I wanted, worked out to about 80% of the BIN. Seller countered by knocking exactly 50p off the BIN which is less than a dollar.

Well done mate, I'm done you just lost a sale.

That's what he said..."If someone makes an offer, I will consider (it) if I am willing to move on (the) price (and if not) I say "Thanks, but I will pass."

Tranny Translation, at your service.