• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers # 1 and GS Xmen 1 on Pawn Stars and Star Wars Movie Props.

52 posts in this topic

Cool episode, great copies too! I'm glad he stuck to his guns on the price! Too often Rick and company win because peeps are going in there with desperation dripping off them! I personally love it when great stuff walks right out of there! :applause:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the good words. To answer a lot of questions I've gotten. Pawn Stars reached out to us via a listing on our website. Having been a fan of the show for years, I was excited to get a chance to go on the show (especially in November, it's 80 there and 45 in Maryland). It took about 4 hours to complete the taping as they get numerous shots of your hands, how you are holding the book, your reaction to what is being said by others, etc. Obviously most of that ends up on the cutting room floor but that's how much tape they need to put a small segment together. Rick is actually quite personable off camera and has a true passion for history. Yes, the show has a basic outline to follow but it's not as scripted as a lot of folks believe. The producers just want to be sure to cover the bullet points so the show is entertaining. The price negotiation is real. You obviously have to start high so Rick, or whoever, can have some back and forth. I did not really care whether a book sold or not as I thought it was a fantastic chance to showcase the hobby and reinforce our brand (even though they didn't say who I was, our website had a tremendous increase in traffic anyway). It was a surreal day all the way around as one of our customers works at the Stratosphere and we went up for a couple of drinks and the incredible views at the top of the tower (tallest building west of the Mississippi) right after taping and then from there to the Kiss concert at Hard Rock. Pretty much had a Ferris Bueller day all around.

Best,

Greg

Did anyone else cringe when Rick put his big ham-hock fingers on the books? We're lucky he or Chumlee didn't take them into the can to read while waiting on the expert to arrive....

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the good words. To answer a lot of questions I've gotten. Pawn Stars reached out to us via a listing on our website. Having been a fan of the show for years, I was excited to get a chance to go on the show (especially in November, it's 80 there and 45 in Maryland). It took about 4 hours to complete the taping as they get numerous shots of your hands, how you are holding the book, your reaction to what is being said by others, etc. Obviously most of that ends up on the cutting room floor but that's how much tape they need to put a small segment together. Rick is actually quite personable off camera and has a true passion for history. Yes, the show has a basic outline to follow but it's not as scripted as a lot of folks believe. The producers just want to be sure to cover the bullet points so the show is entertaining. The price negotiation is real. You obviously have to start high so Rick, or whoever, can have some back and forth. I did not really care whether a book sold or not as I thought it was a fantastic chance to showcase the hobby and reinforce our brand (even though they didn't say who I was, our website had a tremendous increase in traffic anyway). It was a surreal day all the way around as one of our customers works at the Stratosphere and we went up for a couple of drinks and the incredible views at the top of the tower (tallest building west of the Mississippi) right after taping and then from there to the Kiss concert at Hard Rock. Pretty much had a Ferris Bueller day all around.

Best,

Greg

Great Job Greg (thumbs u

Hi Everyone,

Best,

Greg

Awesome job Greg. Great for the hobby.

Yeah I actually got to point at the TV and say to my wife, hey I've bought comics from him lol

Hi Everyone,

Best,

Greg

I used to work at the Stratosphere back in 03-08

Hi Everyone,

Best,

Greg

I used to work at the Stratosphere back in 03-08, now at the Hard Rock

I just watched this episode of Pawn Stars and it was a kick. Great to see Greg and Rick and Paul from CGC on there. I knew it was all done for the show since why would Greg sell to a pawn shop?

Since the sale of a CGC Avengers 1 in 6.5 last went for $5736 per GPA, Rick should have jumped at it.And it had CGC's unofficial grade.

Well done, Greg! What did you eventually do with it?