• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is THE hottest book right now?

150 posts in this topic

X-23 and Daken?

They are currently in the Wolverines comic, which is ending soon. I haven't heard about any additional plans for them as of yet.

I do like X-23 though. A good character when written well.

Daken I can easily do without.

I just do not understand the people who chime in and say, "this thread is redundant and not needed."

My simple solution was, "Then don't click and read it.: Much less post in it. I think the people responding to my post on that were way more defensive than I was originally..

To be fair and balanced, can't someone then say to you "the simpler solution is to not make it in the first place"...?

hm

If you're going to say something, you have to expect that other people will say something, too, and it might not be something you like to hear. That is the risk we take when we engage.

To be defensive, one has to be accused. You can't "be defensive" by mild annoyance.

And, you could probably respect the fact that there are literally hundreds of threads just like this, couldn't you...?

hm

This is just another "tell me what I should buy, so I don't have to do the work myself" thread. That may not have been your intention, but that's what it always ends up being.

There's not a lot of respect for the people who do the legwork to gather the knowledge in the first place, and share it....for free...with others.

That's a real shame.

I just do not understand the people who chime in and say, "this thread is redundant and not needed."

My simple solution was, "Then don't click and read it.: Much less post in it. I think the people responding to my post on that were way more defensive than I was originally..

To be fair and balanced, can't someone then say to you "the simpler solution is to not make it in the first place"...?

hm

If you're going to say something, you have to expect that other people will say something, too, and it might not be something you like to hear. That is the risk we take when we engage.

To be defensive, one has to be accused. You can't "be defensive" by mild annoyance.

And, you could probably respect the fact that there are literally hundreds of threads just like this, couldn't you...?

hm

This is just another "tell me what I should buy, so I don't have to do the work myself" thread. That may not have been your intention, but that's what it always ends up being.

There's not a lot of respect for the people who do the legwork to gather the knowledge in the first place, and share it....for free...with others.

That's a real shame.

I get it, but I already own all of these books myself, so it definitely was not my intention when creating this thread.

It was purely for an enjoyable conversation.

It's all good, and I'm not bothered by people who are hating on it.

I also do not agree with this statement, if I am understanding it correctly -

"To be fair and balanced, can't someone then say to you "the simpler solution is to not make it in the first place"...?"

There seems to be more people enjoying the thread then complaining about it.

I really have no idea, but I do like the discussion, and ones like these....

IMHO Spider-Gwen will be more memorable than Kamala Kahn at the very least.

Seriously? Be careful, as Kamala Khan, although not a "masterwork" is probably one of the nicest things published by Marvel in the last years.

The series does not alter the original conception and poetics of the Marvel age (as those all "reinventions" of late desperately seem to hint at) and if offers a refreshing approach to the teenager becoming a superhero. It worked with Nova in the 1970s, it worked partially with the New Mutants in the 1980s (until they ruined it by forcedly altering the characters with maximum disregard in that poor work that was X-Force) and Speedball did not take off. It generally did not work in the 1990s, but with Kamala Khan they avoided hacking the past, and implicitly she could be placed side-by-side with Spidey, the original Nova and the New Mutants as an accomplished work. Or work-in-progress.

To reply to krighton, while I understand his point, as Silk was meant as a mainstay character in Spider-Man, the new ASM #4 must really be one of the worst things I have read from Marvel lately. When the action is supposed to take place? At the beginning? Silk is a young (or at least pretty much younger) character compared to Peter Parker. How she was supposed to be there when Peter as a young teenager was bitten by the Spider? This does not make sense at all, as this Original Sin Watcher mess as a whole… :sick:

Spider-Gwen at least is detached, as a standalone character it could work, that’s what I meant… but I don’t know how lasting most of these things would be anyway. :shrug:

I really have no idea, but I do like the discussion, and ones like these....

IMHO Spider-Gwen will be more memorable than Kamala Kahn at the very least.

Seriously? Be careful, as Kamala Khan, although not a "masterwork" is probably one of the nicest things published by Marvel in the last years.

The series does not alter the original conception and poetics of the Marvel age (as those all "reinventions" of late desperately seem to hint at) and if offers a refreshing approach to the teenager becoming a superhero. It worked with Nova in the 1970s, it worked partially with the New Mutants in the 1980s (until they ruined it by forcedly altering the characters with maximum disregard in that poor work that was X-Force) and Speedball did not take off. It generally did not work in the 1990s, but with Kamala Khan they avoided hacking the past, and implicitly she could be placed side-by-side with Spidey, the original Nova and the New Mutants as an accomplished work. Or work-in-progress.

To reply to krighton, while I understand his point, as Silk was meant as a mainstay character in Spider-Man, the new ASM #4 must really be one of the worst things I have read from Marvel lately. When the action is supposed to take place? At the beginning? Silk is a young (or at least pretty much younger) character compared to Peter Parker. How she was supposed to be there when Peter as a young teenager was bitten by the Spider? This does not make sense at all, as this Original Sin Watcher mess as a whole… :sick:

Spider-Gwen at least is detached, as a standalone character it could work, that’s what I meant… but I don’t know how lasting most of these things would be anyway. :shrug:

I like your points. Very well stated.

:thumbsup:

Obviously, it is going to be a "time will tell" situation...but as with most things in the comic industry as a whole...the character that will ultimately be around the longest, is the one that can sell the most books, t-shirts, movie tickets, antacids, whatever. (thus naturally generating more "heat" for first appearance books etc. to tie in with the OP's topic) From what I can see...Gwen looks to be the one with the best legs. Meaning longevity :wink: Despite an existence outside the "original conception and poetics of the Marvel age" I see her selling lots of t-shirts.

I think Silk has a lot more staying power than Spider-Gwen, then again I'm not heavily invested in the #teamslippers Kool-Aid

How is that kool-aid? If someone bought EOSV2 3-4 months ago when the book was still red hot and at least tripled their money, how is that a false market?

Thats the only book that appreciated so fast from cover right off the gate with the exception of maybe TMNT 44 in the past year without having any hype

Spider Gwen is the only book with a real following that appreciated in value. Look at the charts. Look at the conventions. Look at the prices.

The only question is whther it has staying power. No one knows how to answer that. But its a wise investment given all the above

Obviously, it is going to be a "time will tell" situation...but as with most things in the comic industry as a whole...the character that will ultimately be around the longest, is the one that can sell the most books, t-shirts, movie tickets, antacids, whatever. (thus naturally generating more "heat" for first appearance books etc. to tie in with the OP's topic) From what I can see...Gwen looks to be the one with the best legs. Meaning longevity :wink: Despite an existence outside the "original conception and poetics of the Marvel age" I see her selling lots of t-shirts.

Of course it is selling… but it has also been hyped as it was a lighthearted and "fresh" idea imagining a "Gwen Stacy that never died" and so I can see the appeal.

It can work as a standalone character even better precisely because she's not actually involved with Peter Parker. It reminds me of the Iron Man of 2020 if you see what I mean, or the early Marvel 2099 books… not Ultimate Spider-Man et al. which have been a different thing…

But Kamala's success was a slow thing… initially most people (including me) found it average or not enough "finished" but then little by little she gathered her public, and that’s why I compare it to Spidey: if you read the letters, teenage girls of varied heritage like her stories and the whole religious/cultural theme is minimal but taken pretty seriously (also Wilson is quite a unique writer, being an agnostic american – I believe – which converted to islamic faith).

Said this, it would be hard for me to pay more than $10 for a book like Edge of Spider-Verse #2, even if I liked Spider-Gwen… I can’t believe the print run was so small to determine a spike of this kind in prices.

Plus, regardless of how nicely she could read, Spider-Gwen remains a derivative idea like Ulimate Spider-Man. Not saying she could not prove a good seller, but to be "memorable" you need something more, IMO… :shrug:

BTW, Zigen I have read that thread from you: Iron Man #2 might have been overpriced but it is a great book, and also has a great cover… (thumbs u

Edge of the Spider-Verse # 2 had a print run of ~55,000.

That's solid for both initial orders (& fan base) and for long-term investment potential.

But seriously -- who believes Spider-Gwen will still be a thing three years from now?

I see the Spider-Man 2099 or Iron Man 2020 comparisons as apt.

Beyond the potential for the character, it will be doomed by short attention spans as speculators gravitate to the next / latest hot thing.

How much are What-If # 105s going for these days? More importantly, how's the demand (and thus, liquidity)?

I think Silk has a lot more staying power than Spider-Gwen, then again I'm not heavily invested in the #teamslippers Kool-Aid

How is that kool-aid? If someone bought EOSV2 3-4 months ago when the book was still red hot and at least tripled their money, how is that a false market?

Thats the only book that appreciated so fast from cover right off the gate with the exception of maybe TMNT 44 in the past year without having any hype

Spider Gwen is the only book with a real following that appreciated in value. Look at the charts. Look at the conventions. Look at the prices.

The only question is whther it has staying power. No one knows how to answer that. But its a wise investment given all the above

I don't think we could be further apart in our interpretation of the market. Oh well, fun times. :whee:

I don't think we could be further apart in our interpretation of the market. Oh well, fun times. :whee:

Id this was a male character everyone would be routing for him on these boards. You.. You... Sexists!!

:jokealert:

Edge of the Spider-Verse # 2 had a print run of ~55,000.

That's solid for both initial orders (& fan base) and for long-term investment potential.

But seriously -- who believes Spider-Gwen will still be a thing three years from now?

I see the Spider-Man 2099 or Iron Man 2020 comparisons as apt.

Beyond the potential for the character, it will be doomed by short attention spans as speculators gravitate to the next / latest hot thing.

How much are What-If # 105s going for these days? More importantly, how's the demand (and thus, liquidity)?

Its not because of the book its because of the latest trends.. IE demographics..

The little girl whos waiting to put on her SG costume in the next convention doesnt care that its an alternate universe book. Neither does she care about a book from 17 years ago