• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I return this JG Jones pieces?

26 posts in this topic

I'm not sure that is far enough away to fight over:

BUST: a sculptured representation of the upper part of the human figure including the head and neck and usually part of the shoulders and breast.

What is the difference in price between a head shot and a bust?

His prices go from $250 for bust and $500 for full figure.

I would probably just keep it then. If he charged less for a head shot maybe I would ask for the difference. It is pretty nice.

I'd personally consider it more of a head shot. However, I don't think it's worth your time to try and return something like this (I don't know how you would even go about it). It's a nice quality illustration. Unfortunately, it's one of the risks you run into when getting sketches/commissions from artists, you won't always be happy with the quality or what they produce.

Unfortunately, it's one of the risks you run into when getting sketches/commissions from artists, you won't always be happy with the quality or what they produce.

This X 1000

You are going to hit bumps along the road and it can be tremendously disheartening to receive something that is not up to what you would consider "par" for the talent and money. You have to remember that not every sketch is going to be an awesome one of a kind that gets passed around the board as an example of an artists work; it can be tough to accept but sometimes an artist just has an off day.

Also you need to be clear when commissioning a piece what you expect. Your terminology and their terminology may be completely different when conceptualizing what is being asked for.

In the end this is a gorgeous piece what an inch and half of extra line art and color really make that much of a difference?

Edit: fixed your picture; now it has a shoulder and is a bust!

fixed_zpsebuzbqxk.jpg

I'm not sure that is far enough away to fight over:

BUST: a sculptured representation of the upper part of the human figure including the head and neck and usually part of the shoulders and breast.

It's impossible to tell if he's shirtless if you can't see the breast! :preach:

It's supposed to be a "bust" but it looks more like a head shot. I paid $250. I think it looks incredible, except that it seems I paid more for what I got.

35jb2qa.jpg

From repping artists, handling convention commissions, and dealing with the management of these types of things I can tell you this is more than a headshot, but I will add this to help you feel better.

Most artists will put the detail in where the character's look demands. That means, if the character has an interesting face and a less interesting costume or look on the upper body, the time and attention will go to the head. If the character has a nondescript face but telltale costume elements on the upper body, most will zoom out and grab the detail there and include it.

In this case the look that you need and want from this character is in the face. He put the time and effort and detail there. Seeing a bit of shoulder, when there's not much to see there, at the expense of getting a fully detailed face is not a better outcome.

I think this is a nice piece and it is more than a headshot.