• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accuracy of Gerber and Overstreet Scarcity Designations
8 8

319 posts in this topic

SH, Your first two scans suck but what I can see, those books are pretty impressive.

For one who has been following the market for the better part of two decades, I can tell you that those

anti-Communist books are hard to find in 8.5 or better.

I would go for a Gerber 9 for the America Menaced. I am impressed. thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I would never collect based on the rarity information listed in Gerber or Overstreet. Still go for what I like not what someone claims is scarce.

I generally agree with this point that you are making here although I do take other factors into account in making my final purchasing decsion.

The actual book is always the critical reason as to why I would even consider purchasing a book. Once I have placed it on my purchasing radar screen however, I do take a look at the OS to ensure that it is reasonably priced. I also take a look at the Gerber scarcity ratings since I am always more tempted to buy a book with a higher SI rating. I also take a look at the Church catalogue since a book that does not show up in the listing or has a low grade is another point in it's favor. These along with other relevant information are factors that I use to make an more infomed final purchasing decision.

I guess it's similar to how current buyers are using the CGC census and GPA numbers as factors in their current purchasing decisions. I just hope it's not the only indicators they use since the census is still quite young and they could be in for a rude awakening a few years down the line if they do.

The Gerber data and Overstreet is mildly helpful, but if you rely on it too much you'll probably pay more than you should. I just looked at the 26th Overstreet and it mentions 4 Actions 1 in NM/MT. That was ridiculous back then. For grins sake you can compare the early CBMs where a group of experts listed scarcity of comics within a variety runs to the CGC Census. Who knew Spidery 4 would be so tough? and 6 so common?

If the history of Coins and sports cards are any indication, we won't have good info on the golden age for quite a while. I believe it took 10 years on sports card before the census reports on the early cards could be relied on. And they had the advantage of a collectible that was more expensive and that could be enjoyed even when it was in a holder.

In my view, the only way to be assured of the scarcity a book is a price increase and time. Suspense 3 became expensive enough for everyone to look for it and for old time collectors to sell their copy because they could get a price for it that was a magnitude greater than what they originally paid. It's pretty safe to talk about it being a rare book -- although there are more than 8 or 9 copies people thought existed.

[Without knowing what the back of the book looks like, could that miswrap be "pressed" so the white border is more even down the spine? Love that cover.

As usual, I bought it slabbed so I don't know the history. I checked with the person I purchased it from and was told that it was bought from an original and he doubted it had been pressed. The book was miscut and has a shadow both of which clearly brought the grade down to the 9.0. Was it pressed? You be the judge. I don't know. I sure would like to though.

720067-GL-1---Back.jpg

I am departing ever so slightly from our Gerber 7 + discussion to post two Gerber 6 books. I recently obtained them (and, yes, believe it or not they are unslabbed!!). Given the known interest of many of the users posting on this thread for anti-communist and war propaganda books, I offer the following:

720084-Secret-Voice.jpg

Nice set of books "Shrunkenhead"

Here is a G8 (924-2):

AQNT.jpg

The Canadian version of "Is this Tomorrow"; Printed in U.S.A. Copyright 1947 Catechetical Guild but in French smile.gif

Wow Fred, that's a really unique book !

Have you ever seen other copies of this book? popcorn.gif

I am departing ever so slightly from our Gerber 7 + discussion to post two Gerber 6 books.

I recently obtained them (and, yes, believe it or not they are unslabbed!!). Given the known interest

of many of the users posting on this thread for anti-communist and war propaganda books, I offer the following:

Love your books. I have been searching for anti-communist books for my collection and I

have never run across "The Secret Voice" What year was it issued?

Love your books. I have been searching for anti-communist books for my collection and I

have never run across "The Secret Voice" What year was it issued?

It was published in 1945. Although it does not list the month, the closing scenes have the US dropping an atomic bomb on Japan so we know it is at least after the first week of August 1945.

I use Overstreet estimates as a guide. With that said, I do find it interesting how some items that

were listed, as rare or scarce several decades ago, still remain elusive. Below is a 1979 write-up

from the Rare Book Portfolio of reprinted material noting the estimates for the following books:

Blood is the Harvest (1950) - under ten known copies

If the Devil Would Talk (1950) - under ten known copies

If the Devil Would Talk (1958) - four known copies

The Red Iceberg (1960) - five known copies

How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America (1951) - ?

Twenty-six years later, we have the following numbers certified:

Blood is the Harvest (1950) - 13

If the Devil Would Talk (1950) - 6

If the Devil Would Talk (1958) - 10

The Red Iceberg (1960) - 6 (five different variants)

How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America (1951) – 4

Obviously other copies are out there. As I previously posted, I heard eighty or so copies of the 1958

revised “If the Devil Would Talk” did surface from 1979 to the early eighties. I also heard that there

are a handful of “How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America” that may be held by one collector.

I still believe that the five variants of the Red Iceberg are correctly listed as rare, if broken down by variant.

I also believe “Blood is the Harvest” falls under twenty copies in existence.

Time will tell whether the aforementioned books are truly rare to scarce.

RareBookPortfolio_002.jpg

RareBookPortfolio_001.jpg

Harvey Dude, didn't Sparkle City Comics put out that rare book portfolio? I remember them hawking it at a Creation Convention in Philly in the late seventies. It's also interesting to see Phil Levine mentioned so prominently. I suspect he's on eBay, but otherwise, he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. No more Price Guide ads from him.

The Canadian version of "Is this Tomorrow"; Printed in U.S.A. Copyright 1947 Catechetical Guild but in French smile.gif

Does the story line deviate from the U.S. Version?

Exact same book, Americans are replaced by Canadians on text, but they kept the US map !