• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accuracy of Gerber and Overstreet Scarcity Designations
8 8

319 posts in this topic

I don't consider Eerie #1 to be that scarce. I've seen a few of them over the past year.

Regarding Yellow Claw, which issues do you consider to be scarce? #1 is definitely not difficult to locate. #2-#4 are a little tougher, but I have seen them for sale over the past year also.

How about Horrific #3 which is a Gerber 4. Either these are entrenched in collections in big numbers, or this book is a lot scarcer than a 4. Compare to a book like Horrors of Mystery #13, a Gerber 5... I've seen far more copies of this book than I have Horrific #3. Horrific #2 is a Gerber 5 and I've seen maybe two beater copies for sale in the past year.

I don't consider Eerie #1 to be that scarce. I've seen a few of them over the past year.

Regarding Yellow Claw, which issues do you consider to be scarce? #1 is definitely not difficult to locate. #2-#4 are a little tougher, but I have seen them for sale over the past year also.

They're all Gerber 6's, but I've been told #4 is the most difficult. Maybe it's a Gerber 6.5 devil.gif. I picked up issues #1, # 3 (2 copies) and one copy of issue #4 at the SD Con.

How about Horrific #3 which is a Gerber 4. Either these are entrenched in collections in big numbers, or this book is a lot scarcer than a 4. Compare to a book like Horrors of Mystery #13, a Gerber 5... I've seen far more copies of this book than I have Horrific #3. Horrific #2 is a Gerber 5 and I've seen maybe two beater copies for sale in the past year.

That's a book I've not really had on my radar, so I'm not going to comment on it. Perhaps Pov would have more experience on this. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pov wanted to buy an Eerie #1 and spoke with me about this. I told him I was certain we could find one or two. He thought I was joking with him, but you usually can find 2-3 at a major convention. It is a great book, love the cover art! thumbsup2.gif

from my own personal experience i would give the top ten goldenage books these gerber ratings,not necesarily ber ratings,but my own scarcity ratings.

action 1..........................................7

detective 27....................................7

marvel 1.........................................7

superman1.....................................6

all american 16...............................8

batman 1.......................................6

captain america comics.1.................7

flash comics 1...............................7

more fun comics 52.......................8

whiz #2, #1...................................8

based on my obsevations over 25 years going to national conventions,dealer catologs,internet ect,

Pov wanted to buy an Eerie #1 and spoke with me about this. I told him I was certain we could find one or two. He thought I was joking with him, but you usually can find 2-3 at a major convention. It is a great book, love the cover art! thumbsup2.gif

You didn;t say one or two. You said two or three. Cause I had already seen one before even hitting the rest of the floor, you floor flushing floozie!

EERIE # 1 is more common than the 50's Phantom Strangers or Yellow Claws, which are Gerber 6's. I'd give it a Gerber 5 rating myself.

See now this is weird because I saw several precode Phantom Srangers at SD but only those two Eerie 1's. I am still kicking myself for not buying one Ted had on the Superworld site a year or so ago for $500 that had a touch of glue on the spine. But persevere I shall.

You didn;t say one or two. You said two or three. Cause I had already seen one before even hitting the rest of the floor, you floor flushing floozie!

1,..2,...3,...50,...100, whatever! makepoint.gif

I have one and YOU don't !!! devil.gifpoke2.gif

eerie1.jpg

grin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gif

1,..2,...3,...50,...100, whatever! makepoint.gif

I have one and YOU don't !!! devil.gifpoke2.gif

eerie1.jpg

grin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gifsmile.gifgrin.gif

Yah! Look at it! Writing on the cover. Spine creases. Large chunks out of the back. Trimmed. Amateur restora...... frown.gif

I hate you.

PS - is it nicer than your modesty allowed when describing it to me. I am genuinely envious! (happy now? huh?) crazy.gif

Yeah, you already saw one,...but you didn't see the "CT" notation on the price label till I pounted it out to you! makepoint.gif

acclaim.gif

Yeah, you already saw one,...but you didn't see the "CT" notation on the price label till I pounted it out to you!

Ture but when I opened it up and saw the black 1/8th inch bleedthrough on the back cover I kind of figured. tongue.gif

from my own personal experience i would give the top ten goldenage books these gerber ratings,not necesarily ber ratings,but my own scarcity ratings.

based on my obsevations over 25 years going to national conventions,dealer catologs,internet ect,

What would you say a Marvel #1 October print is. I think its higher than a 7 as I have only seen one copy (Metro's Cage copy) for sale in 2 years. Probably have seen 10 November prints in that same time period.

Yeah, you already saw one,...but you didn't see the "CT" notation on the price label till I pounted it out to you!

Ture but when I opened it up and saw the black 1/8th inch bleedthrough on the back cover I kind of figured. tongue.gif

OK, so 25 slabbed Eerie #1's as of now, plus Fuelie's makes 26, plus sounds like one at SD wasn't slabbed.... there's 27. Was the other one slabbed? We'd be up to 28 already accounted for in a matter of 1 day just on this board. Any on ebay right now? Think if we can identify 101 copies that Overstreet will drop their designation? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What I really want to know is why did Overstreet decide after all these years to finally designate this book as "scarce"? Why did it take so long ya think? confused-smiley-013.gif

OK, so 25 slabbed Eerie #1's as of now, plus Fuelie's makes 26, plus sounds like one at SD wasn't slabbed.... there's 27.

Make it 28 - there was a 2nd unslabbed at San Diego as well.

What I really want to know is why did Overstreet decide after all these years to finally designate this book as "scarce"? Why did it take so long ya think?

Who knows? The same thinking that makes them call the 1945 Classics Illustrated Frankenstein the "2nd Horror Comic?" (Overstreet's question mark in that quote) when Franklenstein is fully acknowledged as Science Fiction and also the origin of Science Fiction in literature? The same thinking that has the 1950 Crypt of Terror and Vault of Horror listed as being tied for the first Horror comic five years after the Classics' Frankenstein? The same thinking that makes them call Eeries #1 the first "supernatural" comic? The same thinking that makes them call Adventures Into The Unknown the first "Supernatural Series"? The same thinking that makes them call the 1949 (pre-Vault/Crypt) Marvel Tales just "Horror/Weird Stories Begin"?

Last year I wrote OS about this but apparantly it was never received. So I will write again to them, longer and with even more citations than I had before.

How Overstreet came upon their Weird, Supernatural and Horror definitions is way beyond me, but they really have this all wrong.

Harley Yee had two Marvel Comics # 1's, one was Oct. and one Nov.

I saw around 7 or 8 copies,....without even going by Metropolis' booth.

What was the cheapest copy going for? $10 bills?

Remember the one with the three-ring binder holes? It was a retored F/VF for $28,000.00 (owner sayed he could do better). Harley's were $35,000.00 & $38,000.00

I only looked/asked about those three.

I want one! Maybe one day,... cloud9.gif

Last year I wrote OS about this but apparantly it was never received. So I will write again to them, longer and with even more citations than I had before.

You should just send Arnold a PM,.....EVERYDAY,.. until he's willing to do your bidding!

gossip.gif Have him lower the prices on Timely's while you're at it. devil.gif

I would appreciate people's views on Gerber's ratings of the early Jungle comics. If we take #27 it is shown as an 8. I know that the census only shows 2 graded but it only shows others around the #27 with 2 graded copies as well but the #25, #26 etc have lesser gerber values. Should they all be the same or could he really know that the #27 was rarer?

I'm really no "grammar cop", but FYI it's "etc" not "ect" (etcetera)