• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accuracy of Gerber and Overstreet Scarcity Designations
8 8

319 posts in this topic

The last few issues were scarce. Fawcett cut down circulation significantly issues 146-150. But it isn't as bad as Whiz Comics 150-155. Curretly the Crowley Copy of Whiz Comics 155 in 8.0 is for sale at near $1100. Which, though outrageous, is top copy. I have yet to locate the Church copy of that book or CMA 150.

I just won this beauty via e-bay (thought it hasn't arrived yet). Gerber doesn't list it as it is a promotional giveaway, but Overstreet has a listing on page 304 and simply notes 2 known sales. In fact, on page 1017, which is the color cover section, it has a full page reproduction of the book and states that there are only 5 known copies!!! Psych! yay.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif

f7_12.JPG

You really suck Mark. Yep, that's it you suck. You truly have a knack for finding rare comics. You never did answer about the Captain Marvel Ashcans. Did you finish out those?

All I did was look on e-bay! No real skill! acclaim.gif

I am very surprised it went for so little.

I must have missed the question on the ashcans. What was it?

Did you finish your set of Fawcett Captain Marvel Ashcans? I know, the one you posted earlier would make at least 2 that you have. By the way, all kudos on your purchases. Problem with finding rare comics is knowing that they exist. Yep, that's it pretty much. So searching on ebay is rather difficult for that sort of thing. I didn't even know MLK comic existed thus I didn't search for it. grin.gif

Did you finish your set of Fawcett Captain Marvel Ashcans? I know, the one you posted earlier would make at least 2 that you have. By the way, all kudos on your purchases. Problem with finding rare comics is knowing that they exist. Yep, that's it pretty much. So searching on ebay is rather difficult for that sort of thing. I didn't even know MLK comic existed thus I didn't search for it. grin.gif

I'm not sure. I need to check to see if there are any I am missing. I have the Flash and the Nickel ones now.

Uh, Oh. That one is a Gerber 10. The one without the illustration that is.

Most, and probably all, ashcans would be a Gerber 10. There are usually less than 4 copies in existence, and I don't believe I am aware of any that number more than about 7-9.

Take a look at this auction-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7005520513

This book is listed in Gerber but it sure doesn't appear to be a comic book! Major error in the Gerber guide with this one.

Steet and Smith would put photos and real life stories within their books on a regular basis. It's possible that there are cartoons or art within the book but unless you have it in hand, there's no telling. Does anyone have a copy that could confirm this?

Based on the description it does not appear to have comics in it. Looks like it has staged pictures of crimes (thus the title) that you have to slueth. Interesting and published by a company that also did comics so maybe that had something to do with the Gerber listing.

Here is another auction with this book- http://cgi.ebay.ca/Original-June-1937-Nu...3QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by metarog

Do you think PaperPeddler really needs 2 copies?

He is one of my chief competitors on e-bay. Basically, if he wants a book, he will get it. Money is not a factor.

I know he wins what he looks at but he's no TommyFoxWood either. I've been lucky to go against him only once on, of all things, an in-store Lev Gleason promo stand for their Name this Horse contest in Black Diamond Western which begat the Reliapon name for the Black Diamond horse. Needless to say, I didn't win ...

I think someone mentioned the guy's name on the board before as he is a well-known collector.

Almost bid on that Presidents promo you had a bid on today, Mark. Did you get it?

To keep the post on target, in the Bookery's Guide to the Pulp, there is mention that the April 1942 cover to The Whisperer pulp, published by Street & Smith has "Comic-book style cover art: whisperer vs. Hooded villains." Not surprising from S&S but I'll look around to see if I can find a scan.