• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What percentage of your GA Collection is Raw/Slabbed?

53 posts in this topic

I guess I'm straying off the topic of slabs, but....

The three or so year post-Byrne run on the FF was terrible. Started to pick up a bit when Simonson took over in the 330s (I know, a lot of people hate Simonson, I don't), Art Adams was ok and I found the series generally readable until the end (well, I think I stopped reading in like the 390s, I don't think I made it into the 400s)

I liked the Simonson run on Thor in the 80s (although it fizzled toward the end). The art got terrible for a couple of years after that. I believe Ron Frenz took over at some point and I actually found the stories fairly readable, although I'm not a huge fan of his art. I liked the whole story line where Thor goes insane.

Cap'n America I've had a tough time liking since like the 230s. That's a book I pretty much only fish out of quarter bins. I'm sure there's probably been some good stuff in there in the last 20 years, I just haven't bothered reading it. I guess I'm being patriotic when I buy it.

Marvel may get a sales bang out of series relaunches, but it usually ends my interest in picking up back issues unless it's something I get hooked into like Spidey. I like continuity. Luckily, the mid-90s reboots have made it easier for me to be a completionist! It's hard to quantify, but I wonder if a year or so after the re-boot it winds up showing up in sales figures? There are probably a lot of us out there who pick stuff up as overstock out of 25 cent - $1 bins and tend not to buy new comics. If dealers realize they can't unload overstock on these re-booted titles (because bottom feeders like me don't want it) do they order less and on and on it goes? (Sure, they lose money on us, but we help cushion some of their mistakes a little.)

Personally, I'd very much like it if they picked up on their old numbering.

Basically, I started getting interested in recent ASM back issues when they picked up the old numbering again. I went back and picked up the last 4 or 5 years I had missed (when my LCS near my home went out of business in late 1999 I pretty much stopped looking at new comics until early 2004 or whenever the new conan series came out).

There's something very cool about Action and Detective being in what, the 800s?

I presently have about 500 GA books and don't ever see slabbing them. I like to read..... smirk.gif

You the man, PreCode!

.......this thread only has two stars?!? I'm not looking for "Glory", but jesh!!! confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd guess that about half my GA books are slabbed, and most of the slabbed ones I bought that way. Books that are the highest certified copy I can't see myself unslabbing, as in many cases I can pick up a reprint or a beater reader without too much expenditure and a little bit of searching. Though I have a cracked open a few mid-graders.

I'll buy raw from big dealers like Metro, or from an ebay seller if it's someone who's reputation I know is sound. Same for shows. I will not buy raw GA from a no-name vender at a show anymore, for fear that there's undisclosed restoration. So far that reason I am "pro-slab," because it keeps shifty sellers from fibbing about resto. I'm less concerned about whether or not one person grades a book as a f/vf and another grades it as a VF-. But I don't want to buy raw books that run in the hundreds of dollars only to discover some color touch or replaced staples later on down the line.

None of my books are slabbed. If i buy a slabbed book, i crack it open.

I suppose when the day comes to sell that CGC appreciates the de-slabbing habits of us dinosaurs, since to maximize the buck it may be the way to go.....Jon

1)Are you taking advantage of CGC's new service whereby they "deslab" the book for you?

2)I own 60-100 GA books. All are slabbed. I have found that given my restoration cheking ability/grading ability, I save money buying books already CGC'd. I can understand that some large "old-time" collectors are holding onto raw books. However, based on my experience on E-Bay I seem to run into sellers that have very nice looking restored (undisclosed) copies or overgraded raw material. I would rather pay the price for a known quantity and smash the case myself (if I choose to read the book).

infitisemal percentage of mine are slabbed.

i do purchase slabbed books for reasons previously stated, but prefer to liberate upon receipt. the privilege of ownership is the privelege of lifting the veil. ("Now we see through a glass darkly, then we shall see face to face.")

pay for slabbing or buy more comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmm....

infitisemal percentage of mine are slabbed.

i do purchase slabbed books for reasons previously stated, but prefer to liberate upon receipt. the privilege of ownership is the privelege of lifting the veil. ("Now we see through a glass darkly, then we shall see face to face.")

pay for slabbing or buy more comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmm....

Welcome to the Boards !

yay.gif

Yes, But we all, with open face beholding the glory of the book, sometimes see it changed into the same image in all it's glory, by those with great skill.

Thus the need for restoration check (as we both have observed).

restoration check -- to avoid the "whitened sepulchre", perhaps?

thanks to all who have welcomed me aboard. this is a very pleasant forum based on the large number of posting that i've read through in the last day.

0% of my GA are slabbed and I crack open any that I buy which are slabbed. However, I only buy to read and aim for unreprinted titles. Also, my stuff is comparatively low grade and nothing over about $1k. If someone gave me a Superman 1 in 8.5, I might just resist the temptation to remove it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

100% of my collection is raw books. I have probably 250 golden age books, 1500 silver age, 250 undergrounds, and 1000 magazines and recent books.

In my inventory of stuff to sell at conventions I have about 10 slabbed books (file copies, mile highs, etc.) out of 3000 books.

I like to keep it raw! eeeeekkkkk! screwy.giftonofbricks.gif

None of my books are slabbed. If i buy a slabbed book, i crack it open.

I suppose when the day comes to sell that CGC appreciates the de-slabbing habits of us dinosaurs, since to maximize the buck it may be the way to go.....Jon

1)Are you taking advantage of CGC's new service whereby they "deslab" the book for you?

2)I own 60-100 GA books. All are slabbed. I have found that given my restoration cheking ability/grading ability, I save money buying books already CGC'd. I can understand that some large "old-time" collectors are holding onto raw books. However, based on my experience on E-Bay I seem to run into sellers that have very nice looking restored (undisclosed) copies or overgraded raw material. I would rather pay the price for a known quantity and smash the case myself (if I choose to read the book).

1. "Deslabbing service'-- imagine that. I suppose the next thing they will offer is a pressing service ....(ooops, sorry) -----They are really easy to get out of the case.

2. Please do not misunderstand. I agree that for selling or buying with confidence as a restoration detection service, CGC plays an important role. Yes i have many restored books, but i see no need to slab anything i have or keep it slabbed upon purchase. Certainly, depending on what you selling and where CGCing books is a good service (no make that a "4.5" service.) (Another confession . Other than what 9,0 and higher means, I have no mental link with the number grading. Remembered when it got started. Still silly to me. But that is only my opinion.)

Jon

one nice thing about having a slab is playing around with the census numbers

i didn't know it, but I own the highest graded copy of one of the early 40s Quality Comics super hero books. i take it with a grain of salt given that the book isn't super high grade (solid mid-grade) and there are only a few slabbed copes at all. i figure there are better unslabbeds out there, but it's sort of neat.