• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

Remember that book that couldn't be given away, New Mutants #1, with a gizzillion eBay listings? It's been picked over on the 'Bay, just some scraps left over.

It has been selling the past year and a bit for $8 - $10 here locally. Here's hoping I will be selling the 8-10 remaining copies from an auction lot last year for $20 now....... lol

Well...

MGNs were, and are, a pain in the arse to store, and lug around. They are heavy as hell. Because of their magazine size, not a lot were saved in any great numbers in high grade. I suspect that, due to their obscene initial costs ($4.95 and $5.95, when comics were 60 cents!), that 95% or more were saved...but not very many would remain in 9.6-9.8 type condition.

Plus, they're magazines for sub purposes, and mags cost a fortune to grade relative to comics.

thanks for the info,

I wanted to add that not only is MGN #4 the 1st appearance of New Mutants. Its also the first appearance of Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, and Psyche (Mirage).

the issue has been unusually hard to find in high grade long before movie hype.

It took me a few years to secure what i felt was a 9.8 or better during the early 2000's. Saw a few 9.6's and 9.8's added in the census when Days of Future Past hit (Sunspot) but not that many.

a seller currently has a 9.6 for $300 and I think that is a great deal for 1st printing white pages, no pics yet though.

high grade copies of this book don't exist.. the only 9.8 on evilbay is a canadian variant

good luck rummaging through drek bins folks next few days!! Im sure some will come out of the woodwork now..

high grade copies of this book don't exist.. the only 9.8 on evilbay is a canadian variant

How do you know it's a Canadian version...?

It is priced differently, $5.95 or something like that...The US version is $4 something? $4.95? Too lazy to look it up exactly. I think that is the only indicator though.

How do you know it's a Canadian version...?

It is priced differently, $5.95 or something like that...The US version is $4 something? $4.95? Too lazy to look it up exactly. I think that is the only indicator though.

Yes, the first printing of the US edition is $4.95.

However...I'd like to know how you know it's a Canadian version, and not a later printing. This, and other MGNs, are notorious for later printings that have no indication that they are such, and as a result, have confused a lot of people.

The only for sure, we're positive first printing is the $4.95 cover price with no notation in the indicia.

Everything else...including double prices *$4.95, $5.95 Can") are later printings. Because of the font of the $5.95 in your example, I'm inclined to believe this is a later printing, sometime around 1984.

HOWEVER....all that said, we should keep open the possibility that there were, in fact, Canadian versions that are first printings. Not at all likely, but certainly possible.

Cross-post!

For example this copy has nothing on the interior saying a later printing. Yet it has a $5.95 cover price.

Maybe.

That listing has a picture which doesn't show the entire indicia page. There might be a Printer's key:

"10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"

...that isn't shown. These books are notorious for not clearly labeling later printings.

If the last number is a 2 or 3, then it is not a first printing, but rather a second, third, etc.

This other copy also has nothing on the interior to show printing but a $4.95 cover price.

That listing is almost certainly a first printing. Compare the font of the price with other printings.

Sorry; looked at that listing too fast and though they pictured the entire front page.

I thought the $5.95 covers (w/o any further indicators) were not necessarily first prints -- which is what you state 2 posts above.

Very confusing, especially if you don't know comics well and just expect the indicia page to actually give you, you know, information.

Sorry; looked at that listing too fast and though they pictured the entire front page.

I thought the $5.95 covers (w/o any further indicators) were not necessarily first prints -- which is what you state 2 posts above.

Very confusing, especially if you don't know comics well and just expect the indicia page to actually give you, you know, information.

As usual, the production people didn't think this through, and didn't imagine we'd be discussing it nearly 35 years later.

It is my long standing opinion that anything other than the single $4.95 price is a later printing, but I'm willing to consider that the single $5.95 price is a "Canadian version" 1st printing.

It's the font that gives it away. The price wouldn't be in a different font if they were both first printings.