• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When your wife disagrees with you selling your comics

74 posts in this topic

I mentioned I was considering selling 3-4 of my biggest books in order to build a custom road bicycle from the frame up.

Her response was something like, "I'd rather you keep the books, at least you could sell them in the future, whereas the moment you ride that bike it will depreciate."

So... Mint books that will retain their condition and some value, maybe even increase in value.... that sit in a box in the closet that I never take out because I have scans on my PC....

versus

A custom road bike that I will take out and enjoy (entertainment and fitness) a few times a week that will depreciate and be worth little to nothing in 2-3 years.

This is sort of in the vein of wanting to let one hobby fund another rather than using credit or savings, and being too impatient to buy one or two pieces per pay period forever.

What say you boardies?

Any idea how many high end parts you can get with a WD#1 ?!?! A LOT!

I say just get a cheap bike-people rode regular bikes for decades before there were $5,000 bikes etc.

Her response was something like, "I'd rather you keep the books, at least you could sell them in the future, whereas the moment you ride that bike it will depreciate."

First off, tell your wife that I said that she's very smart.

A custom road bike is overrated, just buy a pre-built Cannondale or Trek with Dura Ace and Mavic wheels, ask your local bike shop for a 2014 close-out to get real savings, and you have a bike you can race and you keep your comics. Avoid those over-rated European frames that are over-priced. Because your wife is right.

I believe this is the first thread in which a collector's wife DOESN'T want him to sell…and he's asking us for advice… :applause:

Only so he can sell them later to buy her something. :shy:

I should also mention I already have a mountain bike.... BUT THAT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

There's also a chance that picking out each part individually/specifically aka "collecting them all" is what is appealing to me and once it's built I will set it aside like a lego set.

You guys are cracking her up. :roflmao:

All good advice so far! My first instinct was to keep my books and be patient for 6-9 months in order to do it later with extra funds.

Instant gratification is nice, but I know I would miss them terrible!

My wife always jumps in when I talk about negotiating a discount on volume sales:

:sumo: no discounting! :sumo:

(we need some sumos with lipstick and bows)