• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it serious doctor?

22 posts in this topic

to everyone

it's been a while i haven't droped by a comicstore to see what's coming out from the house of ideas.

A few days ago i tried (again) to look and see if there was something that could caught my interest and maybe buy a comic or two, but... i just can't. I look at the shelfs and c'ant relate with the majority of the stuff presented: the titles, the "teams", the characters,...

In the past 12 years i haven't bought anything on a regular basis (a few tpb's like iron fist, cap america winter soldier, a couple of DD's), but outside these "universes" more precise, the rest seems like, i don't know, empty?!

I'm not a nostalgic fan, even if i love all the classics, in the end of the 90's i truly liked the first marvel knights moves, the ultimate spidey first 30 or something issues were nice, etc... but today?! What's going on? Where's the magic? Everything seems more like an extension of some bad/ grit news channel you can't look more than a couple of seconds.

So, is this some kind of exotic disease? Or worst, there really isn't a lot of stuff Worth buying from the house of ideas?

regards

ps- and don't ask me about the cover prices... :tonofbricks:

to everyone

it's been a while i haven't droped by a comicstore to see what's coming out from the house of ideas.

A few days ago i tried (again) to look and see if there was something that could caught my interest and maybe buy a comic or two, but... i just can't. I look at the shelfs and c'ant relate with the majority of the stuff presented: the titles, the "teams", the characters,...

In the past 12 years i haven't bought anything on a regular basis (a few tpb's like iron fist, cap america winter soldier, a couple of DD's), but outside these "universes" more precise, the rest seems like, i don't know, empty?!

I'm not a nostalgic fan, even if i love all the classics, in the end of the 90's i truly liked the first marvel knights moves, the ultimate spidey first 30 or something issues were nice, etc... but today?! What's going on? Where's the magic? Everything seems more like an extension of some bad/ grit news channel you can't look more than a couple of seconds.

So, is this some kind of exotic disease? Or worst, there really isn't a lot of stuff Worth buying from the house of ideas?

regards

Old%20Man_zpsqowmzuk5.png

A few days ago i tried (again) to look and see if there was something that could caught my interest and maybe buy a comic or two, but... i just can't. I look at the shelves and can't relate with the majority of the stuff presented: the titles, the "teams", the characters,...

(channeling my father:) Go read a book.

Seriously. Go read a book. There's an unbelievable amount of quality available, with new stuff hitting the shelves all the time. There's bound to be something that grabs your interest. Maybe check out Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series.

If the House of Ideas' idea is to retconn all you know into a next-gen pc niche, time to move on. You're living in a golden age of quality content galore. Go enjoy yourself.

to everyone

regards

Have you tried getting away from MARVEL? There's tons of great 3rd party publishing out there.

There's still good stuff coming out of Marvel these days, just have to look a little harder.

Daredevil is typically very well written and has kind of a throw back art style.

I'm enjoying the heck out of Hickman's Avengers but it's not to everyone's taste - it's a pretty dense read with big overarching concepts.

I enjoyed the hell out of the recent Amazing Spider-Man "point 1 issues" written by Gerry Conway. Feels like an old school street level Spidey story. You don't even need to know any back story to follow along other than Kingpin is dethroned and there are other gangs vying to run NYC underworld.

Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron was fantastic. I'm still catching up on the newer issues but basically, Thor is deemed unworthy and unable to use Mjolnir. Some one else now wields the power of Thor and it's a woman for an interesting new twist.

Maybe your tastes are changing though...everyone goes through ups and downs with their interests.

There's still good stuff coming out of Marvel these days, just have to look a little harder.

Daredevil is typically very well written and has kind of a throw back art style.

I'm enjoying the heck out of Hickman's Avengers but it's not to everyone's taste - it's a pretty dense read with big overarching concepts.

I enjoyed the hell out of the recent Amazing Spider-Man "point 1 issues" written by Gerry Conway. Feels like an old school street level Spidey story. You don't even need to know any back story to follow along other than Kingpin is dethroned and there are other gangs vying to run NYC underworld.

Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron was fantastic. I'm still catching up on the newer issues but basically, Thor is deemed unworthy and unable to use Mjolnir. Some one else now wields the power of Thor and it's a woman for an interesting new twist.

Maybe your tastes are changing though...everyone goes through ups and downs with their interests.

thanks for the tips

indeed i bought some time ago while travelling a couple of thors, mostly beacause of Esad Rribic art and enjoyed them (it was 2 or 3 comics for a story arc).

sometimes i just can't past behind the art department, the majority of it seems of low quality. Even if a comic is well written, if it has "bad art" the majority of times i won't buy it.

is marvel still renumbering everything? I see only "low number series" on the titles...

regards

to everyone

regards

Have you tried getting away from MARVEL? There's tons of great 3rd party publishing out there.

I love hellboy, BPRD, streangers in paradise, concrete, fables, etc... it's just sometimes i miss some new good stuff from the house of ideas.

Of course there are some great stuff outside the "spandex department".

regards

Marvel and DC are mostly blah. They do have some good reads (Daredevil, Hawkeye, Batman is still pretty good) but for the most part, it's rehashed junk.

Image has quite a few great books. Southern Bastards, Alex & Ada, and Saga are my 3 favourites. Outstanding reads really.

A few days ago i tried (again) to look and see if there was something that could caught my interest and maybe buy a comic or two, but... i just can't. I look at the shelves and can't relate with the majority of the stuff presented: the titles, the "teams", the characters,...

(channeling my father:) Go read a book.

Seriously. Go read a book. There's an unbelievable amount of quality available, with new stuff hitting the shelves all the time. There's bound to be something that grabs your interest. Maybe check out Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series.

If the House of Ideas' idea is to retconn all you know into a next-gen pc niche, time to move on. You're living in a golden age of quality content galore. Go enjoy yourself.

...but, they don't have pictures in them. I'll wait for the graphic novels.

to everyone

regards

really-sj_zpse5010nhd.jpg