• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How has your experience paid off?

18 posts in this topic

Over the years alot of new members (including myself) have joined this forum after being referred here to get help, find information or to learn.

So I have a question. For you seasoned, older, or more experienced guys who have been involved with comics in one way or another for over 20 years, what are the key things you have learned, along with explanations, that have made you a better collector, dealer, or comics professional over the years? What have you learned that helps you to avoid making mistakes now?

We all know about many of the often spoken bits of advice, such as "don't speculate on Moderns" and so on, but what are some of the real, not so obvious lessons that you have learned in all the various areas of this hobby and/or business of yours?

I think it would be interesting to have a little collection here of tidbits of wisdom from the many comic gurus that we have here on the boards. Thanks-----Sid

I got 30 years in the hobby and was gonna respond to your post....then you had to go and say gurus....so I guess that leaves me out. blush.gif

#1 lesson learned - you can be in your 40s and collect comics and still be cool. cool.gif

As far as collecting goes, I've found that buying books that appeal to more than one type of collector usually works well. For example, buying Golden Age appeals to one group, buying Golden Age war covers appeals to two groups, buying Golden Age superhero books with war covers that feature Hitler appeals to three groups, etc. etc.

I've found that what I like buying and what is a great investment usually aren't the same thing - but what I buy hasn't been a bad investment either - and I've avoided speculative blunders. I've also seen that if you do want to speculate, the clues are usually pretty obvious as to what has potential.

Also, never pay more than $10 for a standard ( non-limited edition) mainstream back issue less than 10 years old. No matter how hot the comic might be at the moment - at some point demand becomes saturated, and the price drops.

As far as collecting goes, I've found that buying books that appeal to more than one type of collector usually works well. For example, buying Golden Age appeals to one group, buying Golden Age war covers appeals to two groups, buying Golden Age superhero books with war covers that feature Hitler appeals to three groups, etc. etc.

I've learned that too. Good point, especially when buying for later resale. An example I have used is vampires in comics. There are alot of people (including many women) really into vampires, many of which could care less about comics but would buy comics that featured vampires. Same thing with "Good Girl" or erotic art. Crossover appeal is a good thing.

Patience is the #1 thing I've learned. Always remember, the comic in front of you that's threatening to burn a hole in your pocket isn't necessarily unique. You're almost guaranteed to come across another down the line and, in my experience, usually in equal grade or higher and at prices that are more palatable to the wallet.

Also, if you've been around this hobby for more than a decade, you'll clearly see the cyclic nature of comic collecting genres. What's passe today will be hot in a few years and vice versa. The experienced collector buys during the low times and, if they're so inclined, will sell when they're hot. It's not an exact science but there is a rhyme and reason you can exploit. CGC has temporarily changed this to a certain extent, they made all slabs hot for awhile regardless of genre, but we're finally seeing a settling of the market. I expect the "cycles" to continue. Unless of course, the market decides to "settle" into a nosedive which is always a possiblity...

Jim

Patience is the #1 thing I've learned. Always remember, the comic in front of you that's threatening to burn a hole in your pocket isn't necessarily unique. You're almost guaranteed to come across another down the line and, in my experience, usually in equal grade or higher and at prices that are more palatable to the wallet.

Also, if you've been around this hobby for more than a decade, you'll clearly see the cyclic nature of comic collecting genres. What's passe today will be hot in a few years and vice versa. The experienced collector buys during the low times and, if they're so inclined, will sell when they're hot. It's not an exact science but there is a rhyme and reason you can exploit. CGC has temporarily changed this to a certain extent, they made all slabs hot for awhile regardless of genre, but we're finally seeing a settling of the market. I expect the "cycles" to continue. Unless of course, the market decides to "settle" into a nosedive which is always a possiblity...

Jim

Great post... that's excellent advice.

Good thread. As mentioned earlier patience was the main thing I learned. When I first got back into buying books with these new CGC cases I had never even seen before I actually thought the prices on Comiclink were average for the market. tonofbricks.gif I scooped up a bunch of books right away. I never even bothered with stuff like page quality and although I may have over paid for some books I did luck out and buy a bunch of white pagers. yay.gif

Looking back now I should have passed on a few due to PQ or probably waited for a more suitable grade that I would be more satisfied with for the long term. Also, I'm much more focused as a buyer and try and prioritize certain books I want first rather that take a run at everything that catches my eye. And hey I'm a much better grader than I was a year ago and know what to look for.

What have you learned that helps you to avoid making mistakes now?

Great idea for a thread, and I agree 100% with the sage advice offered so far.

I would emphasize the importance of "Buy what you like," cause if you like it, someone else will. The only times I've been burned was when I bought what others were buying and jumped on the speculative bandwagon even though I was luke warm about this "hot new stuff."

In addition, when buying high dollar books, have a system for examining the book in person. I start with the staples, check out the corners, all the edges, and the front cover. I ALWAYS take a comic out of the bag to check the interior and back cover. If a dealer huffs and puffs about this, they have lost me as a customer. As a fledgling collector, I can't tell you how many books I got stuck with that had a pulled staple, moisture stain, back cover flaw, or clipped value stamp. Never again!

On ebay, I check for scans, feedback, accurate descriptions, return policy, etc. If I email someone with a question or request for a scan, I can accurately predict the level of customer service I will receive if I make a purchase.

Any wisdom - if any! - I've gained in this hobby is at the expense of the mistakes I have made!

Joe

When setting up at comicons, have clearly labelled title dividers, price stickers, or a big sign with your discount structure. Nothing cheeses me off more than asking the con dealer how much an unpriced paper collectible is just to be told, "U can't afford it, or don't touch that, it's valuable." 893censored-thumb.gif

Also, having a closet full of long boxes won't make u look attractive to the opposite sex. makepoint.gif

Moondog's 10 Rules for Comic Book Collectors:

1. When buying - count every page. Especially centerfolds and books with pin-ups and paper dolls.

2. When buying - check for clipped coupons.

3. When buying - check the back cover as closely as the front cover.

4. When buying - inspect with a very critical eye.

5. When buying - always be conservative in estimating value.

6. When selling - always disclose anything that you know about the book that the seller may not notice such as color touch or slight trimming. Believe me, buyers truly appreciate this and will continue to do business with you.

7. There are no (all right very few...) unique items in this hobby. If you wait you will find another one and probably at a lower price.

8. Be passionate about your hobby - passion rubs off on others and they will like you for it.

9. Memorize the following adage: "Those who collect for profit often lose. Those who collect what they love always profit."

10. Have fun!

My motto has always been "Go where the money isn't." I really believe that the worst thing you can do (unless of course, you're buying pedigree GA and early SA) is follow what's hot or considered "investment quality". In so many instances, these books are already recognized and their value will likely hit a ceiling (or at least stall for a while). I've had a blast always going after what was not fashionable, buying quality books that others passed on for more fleeting trends. And it keeps the hobby just that: a hobby.

An example, in the early 90's in the DC area, the "smart" money was being spent in two areas: the big money people were buying F/VF GA, restoring them to approach apparent NM's, and flipping them. The bottom feeders were speculating on Valiant. It was the best time to find HG SA and solid VG GA books at bargain prices. In fact, 90% of my GA books were bought then, most well under guide. Currently, although my first love is SA and BA Marvels and DC's, I refuse to pay the insane premiums for HG books that are being asked. So, I started picking up all the Harvey's and Archies from my childhood in HG. In the former case, the boat is starting to sail, but it's been incredible fun rediscovering books I love without breaking the bank. Buy what you love and try not to pay inflated prices (unless it's something you just gotta have wink.gif

How true...I remember spending stupid money for silver books just 2-3 years ago in 9.4 when the cgc census was showing 1 or 2 total having been submitted and thinking "God, I better buy THIS because there probably aren't that many." Many of you today who've been posting for years predicted that there were many high grade books out there that haven't yet or won't ever be submitted. YOU WERE RIGHT! I can't believe how many high grade silver books keep surfacing.

The boards have also expanded my interests to include some pre-silver stuff (Captain Midnight is my current project) that I'd NEVER have looked into without the unique, informative banter on these boards. thumbsup2.gif

Even more important, I've come to appreciate even the low grade stuff and just enjoy them the way I did when I was in grade school...read them and appreciate the art!