• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old are Golden Age Collectors?

If you collect Golden Age books, how old are you?  

993 members have voted

1. 1. If you collect Golden Age books, how old are you?

85 posts in this topic

I'm 54 and have been collecting comics on and off since I was twelve.

I just bought my first Golden Age comic (actually two of them) last weekend!!!

You know what they say, "Once you go GA, you never go back". cool.gif

You are soooo right about that.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

893whatthe.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

agree 100%

49 1/2.

Got my first Golden Age -- Batman 49 -- at the age of six. Bought books through the mid-silver and early bronze ages. No GA collecting -- No collecting at all really. I was buying books to read and just happened to save them. Lost my comics while I went away to college and them got them all back roughly 12 years later. The return let to collecting in fits and starts. Last two years avid collecting -- focus on GA and early SA.

And yes, money does make a big difference in the ablity to collect. thumbsup2.gif

Have collected gold off and one since I was 12 or so, it became my main focus only about a year ago. cloud9.gif

Its not really a money Issues I don't think, I am spending the same money per book as I did in SA or BA, just the condition changes really, and in some cases like the Funny Animal stuff, it s cheaper then silver and a lot of bronze!

That's so true. That even has some application to buyers of moderns. If you're spending $2.99 and up for a new comic it's really not that outrageous to buy say a pre-code crime book in good for $5-$10. I try to encourage my customers to try older books, not to try to change their collecting focus, but just to add some depth and variety to their collection.

I think I took part in this poll last year so I won't vote again but I'm 38 and first GA was Batman 21 and 30 via one of the first Comics Trader ads in CBG back in 83 or so. As I've said many times, I was exposed to these books "right away" in my childhood thanks to Batman from the 30s to the 70s, Famous First Editions, and DC 100-page Super Spectaculars.

Marc

Started reading comics around the time of ASM 17. Stopped reading comics around ASM 35 (is that comic years?).

Bought and sold SA comics at a few local shows in the late 90's (Greenberg, Carbonaro).

Sold all the comics I had in 2000. Bought a Silver age key collection (100 issues) 4 months later. Highlights- 4 ASM 1's. AF 15, FF 1, 3 X-Men 1's, JIM 83, TOS 39,

Hulk 1, etc.

Starting selling the books through E-Bay in raw condition. Discovered CGC. Starting slabbing books.

2002-Started buying slabbed GA books on E-Bay as well as slabbed SA books. Continued to sell slabbed Silver age books.

2006- Have very few SA books left. Stuck woth mainly GA books.

2010-???????????

hello all...

I just turned 39...I started collecting GA books in 1989...when I graduated from the Unv of FL (GO GATORS!) I lived in S. Florida, near a store called Tropic Comics (I am sure some older timers remember it)...I met the owner, John, and was instantly amazed at his "stock" of GA books (I remember sitting in the back office, where the safe was, holding action 1, tec 27, AA 16, MF 52, AS 3, etc...)....that got me hooked...I accumulated a complete run of action 1-100 and Batman 1-400 or so, along with a smattering of of GA keys, and when I started the toy part of our business (importing toys/action figures from HK) I sold off my GA collection in the mid 90's to pay for the venture, and just got back the "bug" this past year...

rick