• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 (5/5/17)
4 4

653 posts in this topic

Saw Guardians last night. And it was packed with action and character appearances!

Spoiler

The Watchers do belong to Marvel Studios again.

:whee:

More emotional than the first movie. And they were not kidding about all those post-credit scenes. But that third act is massive, yet comes together rather nicely versus getting lost in too much going on. I was definitely pleased.

I still like Guardians Vol. I more. But that doesn't imply Vol. II has any major problems. It just had to balance many characters in a short cinema window. So at times, it can take you out of the flow of the story for a moment.

Spoiler

Even little Howard the Duck gets an appearance again. But this was in the credits videos. Which in themselves added to the fun versus being a long scroll of names.

Overall: 8.5/10.0 for me.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Overall: 8.5/10.0 for me.

8.5?  Surprising.  With all the hype I thought it would get at least a 9.0 or 9.5 rating.

Obviously I'll see it myself.  But the message from most people seem to be the same...great movie but not as good as the first one.

23 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

8.5?  Surprising.  With all the hype I thought it would get at least a 9.0 or 9.5 rating.

Obviously I'll see it myself.  But the message from most people seem to be the same...great movie but not as good as the first one.

That third act is really fantastic. Gunn being able to pull all that activity off and make it entertaining was very impressive. It's just the spread of characters and the interaction between them early on that seemed a tiny bit slow.

Spoiler

But you do get two Stan Lee scenes with The Watchers, which I thought was really fun.

And not knowing Nebula's background from the comics, I didn't realize why she had such a deep hate for Gamora (other than wanting Thanos to appreciate her being tougher). You find out what else stoked that hate due to the actions of Thanos.

The real shocker was finding out with Peter's mom...

Spoiler

...his dad gave her the tumor purposely. Not due to any side-effects from being a super-being. And that was a really sad discovery.

Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree with Nick's (Bosco) comments above.

Some of the jokes fall flat - generally the Ahole and turd jokes which seem out of place - and having Stallone there is a distraction as he is such a terrible actor.

On a side note the WW trailer was met with complete silence by a full crowd and just appeared underwhelming to me.

And to see Watchers was great. One of their scenes implies an explanation for all of Stan Lee's cameos.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Is there a dance off to beat the villain again?

Yes - it's Martha versus Martha and in the background are sentient alien muffins crying.

4 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree with Nick's (Bosco) comments above.

Some of the jokes fall flat - generally the Ahole and turd jokes which seem out of place - and having Stallone there is a distraction as he is such a terrible actor.

On a side note the WW trailer was met with complete silence by a full crowd and just appeared underwhelming to me.

And to see Watchers was great. One of their scenes implies an explanation for all of Stan Lee's cameos.

Thanks Comicopolis!

18 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Wait... they had this movie way back in 1978? I've never seen it before. I'd image it was not available on DVD, no?

I have never seen it on DVD. I was considering having it transferred to DVD, so I can put it in my comic film library, but haven't got around to doing it yet. Universal was the producer/distributer of it in '78. Not sure if they can ever release it now, due to Marvel/Disney owning it now.

It's a better question, to ask someone who knows this stuff better than me.

It's a weirdly fun, low-budget movie. I've always thought it had a decent tone.

4 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I have never seen it on DVD. I was considering having it transferred to DVD, so I can put it in my comic film library, but haven't got around to doing it yet. Universal was the producer/distributer of it in '78. Not sure if they can ever release it now, due to Marvel/Disney owning it now.

It's a better question, to ask someone who knows this stuff better than me.

It's a weirdly fun, low-budget movie. I've always thought it had a decent tone.

Thanks for the info. Good question you have on whatever it is allowed to be transferred on a DVD. Sticky issue with copyrights. 

I see that some folks had already seen Vol.2 and give good reviews. I have my advance ticket in wallet for Sunday to see it with friends. 

15 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Yes - it's Martha versus Martha and in the background are sentient alien muffins crying.

That'd be interesting, but unlikely because I can't see DC and Marvel making a film together, or Zack Snyder and James Gunn co-directing the sequence.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:49 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:
On 4/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, The_Investor said:

Given the fact that one or more heroes from the original Guardians of the Galaxy will be introduced in the upcoming movie it will help give a boost to Marvel Super Heroes 18 (their first appearance)

I was always a big Vance Astro,Charlie-27,  and Martinex fan. To me those were the Guardians of the Galaxy.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:05 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. Always remember eagerly reading the Astonishing Tales reprint as a kid in the 70s and, of course, having the original Marvel Super-Heroes issue later on. I particularly like the Pluvian Martinex.

Well, for all you collectors who prefer the original Guardians, I guess you must be ecstatic then that Gunn and Feige are both talking about having the original Guardians become the new crew on the movies once Volume 3 is done and finished.  :gossip:

So, looks good for the collectors who either bought or decided to hold onto their much tougher to find MSH 18, instead of spending their dollars on the much more common Marvel Preview 4.  (thumbsu

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, for all you collectors who prefer the original Guardians, I guess you must be ecstatic then that Gunn and Feige are both talking about having the original Guardians become the new crew on the movies once Volume 3 is done and finished.  :gossip:

Is that for real or just negotiation posturing? Pratt as Starlord makes the franchise similar to RDJ as Tony Stark/Iron Man. I can understand that Marvel Studios/Disney does not want to be caught in a similar position with Pratt re: amount paid to a leading actor, but the current team is much better suited for the big screen than the original one. 

Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing the film this weekend with the kids.

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

Is that for real or just negotiation posturing? Pratt as Starlord makes the franchise similar to RDJ as Tony Stark/Iron Man. I can understand that Marvel Studios/Disney does not want to be caught in a similar position with Pratt re: amount paid to a leading actor, but the current team is much better suited for the big screen than the original one. 

Chris Pratt has stated he wants to play Star-Lord for a long time...Maybe he will stick around as the 'anchor'/leader of the team for some time? I mean, why not?  How many Marvel movies has RDJ/Evans been in now?

http://www.cbr.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-chris-pratt-star-lord-long-time/

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, looks good for the collectors who either bought or decided to hold onto their much tougher to find MSH 18, instead of spending their dollars on the much more common Marvel Preview 4.  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:
3 hours ago, kimik said:

Chris Pratt has stated he wants to play Star-Lord for a long time...Maybe he will stick around as the 'anchor'/leader of the team for some time? I mean, why not?  How many Marvel movies has RDJ/Evans been in now?

http://www.cbr.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-chris-pratt-star-lord-long-time/

Well, the decision might not be left up to Chris Pratt if there is any truth at all to the following interview with Gunn and Feige:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/25/sylvester-stallones-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-character-has-a-big-future-in-the-mcu

According to this interview, Gunn seems to clearly state that the first three movies tells one story and this story comes to an end with GOTG Volume 3.  If there is a fourth installment, it would be with a different group, and the clear implication is to the original Guardians who makes an appearance near the end of GOTG Volume 2.  (thumbsu

Of course, in the world of Hollywood, anything can change at a moment's notice.  hm