• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Met a Documented Fearless Front Facer - New! Image of Certificate.

75 posts in this topic

I never knew there was such a thing

Yes, that was back in the days when Marvel was run by actual human beings with real empathy and a connection to fans, not a faceless, greedy corporation administered by the Devil himself.

Like joe_collector, someday I'll think back to the days that Valiant was run by actual human beings with real empathy and a connection to fans. The CEO of a nine-figure company actually working the table in conventions to talk to people who have never even heard of Valiant. Way back in the days of 2015. :cloud9:

:signofftopic:

That is an awesome Stan-and-fan, Lee-and-me* story :applause:

* "Stan-and-fan, Lee-and-me" is valiantman trademark-pending

What an incredible story and what a great collectible that certificate would be

Like joe_collector, someday I'll think back to the days that Valiant was run by actual human beings with real empathy and a connection to fans. The CEO of a nine-figure company actually working the table in conventions to talk to people who have never even heard of Valiant. Way back in the days of 2015.

Hey, you call me the next time you see the CEO of Disney "working the convention table" and glad-handing with fans.

lol I was wondering where you were going with that. Well played sir.

I never knew there was such a thing

Yes, that was back in the days when Marvel was run by actual human beings with real empathy and a connection to fans, not a faceless, greedy corporation administered by the Devil himself.

Like joe_collector, someday I'll think back to the days that Valiant was run by actual human beings with real empathy and a connection to fans. The CEO of a nine-figure company actually working the table in conventions to talk to people who have never even heard of Valiant. Way back in the days of 2015. :cloud9:

:signofftopic:

That is an awesome Stan-and-fan, Lee-and-me* story :applause:

* "Stan-and-fan, Lee-and-me" is valiantman trademark-pending

We should know the name of this dude who came up with the name of Sharon Carter-I'll add it to Wikipedia

I got a call from a local Chicago collector who was looking to move some original owner SA books. Nothing spectacular - all were well-read low/mid-grade copies. While I'm inspecting them we're chatting about buying comics back in the 60s. I'm 64 and he's 63. Somehow the conversation moves to the MMMS and Stan's ranking of fans back them. There were 6 ranks - all with Stan's typical goofy descriptions we all loved. I remember that I attained 5 of the 6 ranks since I received a No-Prize and had a letter printed.

The 6th level was FFF - Fearless Front Facer. This was an honor that only Stan could bestow on you for doing something above and beyond being simply a fan.

Anyway, we're chatting away about this and he tells me that he was given the rank of FFF by Stan himself. I said no way - and asked what he did to receive such an honor.

Get this, it turns out that he wrote Stan a letter and asked him to give Agent 13 a name. He told me that his letter pointed out how Cap and Agent 13 had been going out for over two years and that she deserved a name. And to top it off he suggested Sharon Carter since it was an all-American sounding name that wouldn't irritate any particular ethnic group. Stan agreed and Sharon Carter's name was revealed in Cap 103 or 104.

This fellow goes into another room and returns with the FFF certificate signed by The Man himself. It was the coolest thing I ever saw! I actually met the guy who named a Marvel character!

No you're not. You're 28, and I'm 16.

It's been a long time, hasn't it. (thumbs u

Yes it has, little Danny... :cloud9:

I added the story to sharon carter wikipedia without the name so far

The collector who received the FFF certificate is Terry Levin. Terry gave me permission to release his name. He stated that he takes no credit for anything other than believing it was time to name the character and that Stan agreed to use Sharon Carter. That he would be listed in the Wikipedia listing is cool, but again, he's a low-key guy who loves comics, not a glory hound. He's as nice a guy as I've ever met in this hobby.

Here's the certificate.

FFF%20Cert_zpsrvd9o6nm.jpg

What I think is really cool about this "certificate" is that it's simply a hand-written note on Marvel stationary. It's clearly written by Stan (and not Flo or some other secretary), and it probably took him a minute or two. It's personal. It's real. And it's very, very rare.

I wonder how many of these things Stan actually presented...

Well that was a wash

The Wikipedia Nazis kept deleting my edit

Dont donate to Wikipedia

Well that was a wash

Dont donate to Wikipedia

Weird. I saw the first edit you did, but when Terry went to see it it was gone. Now there's nothing again. Oh well...

Well that was a wash

Dont donate to Wikipedia

Weird. I saw the first edit you did, but when Terry went to see it it was gone. Now there's nothing again. Oh well...

sigh...

The so-called "Wikipedia Nazis" try to make sure that everything is on the up and up with entries. I went through the page's history. If "Kav" is so interested in adding it, he should do the following:

1 - Add the information

2 - Take the image and host it himself

3 - Source this page in his entry with a link to this forum thread

4 - Source the image in his entry with a link to where he is hosting the image

5 - Perhaps even add the image to the page.

BUT... that would be the sensible thing to do. To see what I am talking about go to the page history of the page and check out the revision history.

Feel free to donate to Wikipedia