• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

I find the discussions about Centaurs always fascinating. I have thought that their general scarcity has kept them as a collecting goal down and (so too) the prices generally)

I have had the Centaur run (including the early Funny Pages, Detective Picture Stories and early Cheslers for 20-30 years with an occasional upgrade. (Sean's larson Funny Pages for example.)

The feed back on the boards calling some issues still scarce, rare or impossible remarkable considering the sophistication and expertise of the Board members on this post. While some may be "buried" I find it hard to believe with you eager beavers that some more have not turned up.

(Quick true story. When I was a young pup, anytime I was in a different town, I would check out from time to time comic stores selling old books.

Went sort of like this:

"Have any Centaurs? No!"

"Have any Centaurs? No!"

"Have any Centaurs? No!"

"Have any Centaurs? No!"

"Have any Centaurs? Which one do you want?

I drove home after Thanksgiving, recontacted the guy in the store. Swooped in on Monday and purchased 45 (yes 45 at about $25 dollars a book all at once!)

Do my Centaurs glow in the dark? No. Got some nice ones and some cruddy ones. However, this is how I got into "Larson" comics, since there were representative ones to get.

Great special books, that STILL are not appreciated for the pre-Timely that they are.

Enjoy the Ganzman recreation as I wrap this note up.

jb

137090.jpg.cae04ecc1ffc740c47d9beee2592b549.jpg

Would Boardies consider Centaurs to be the scarcest of the Golden Age publishers?

Jon's point about pre-Timelys rings true.

Wow!!! I haven't been on the Boards in a couple of weeks and BAM!!!! Centaur heaven here. :cloud9:

I have always considered Centaurs as the rarest comic publisher. Old DC comics as the next rarest and probably St. John or Dells next, and then Fox. For sure as a percentage of comics published, and the general scarcity of almost every issue, no one else is even close IMO.

Probably 90% of ALL Centaurs are Gerber 6 or higher, and probably 40% or more of ALL Centaurs are Gerber 7 or higher. I once had the exact numbers on these but I am only going from memory now and I am probably off a little and since I am currently in the Philippines do not have the numbers at my disposal.

Love your centaurs Circumstances, keep posting....and welcome to the Boards!!!! (thumbs u

edit: Oh, and Michael also love the FP #35 (I remember selling you my undercopy), my copy is around 7.0, so your new copy is nicer....Congrats!!!

and Bunky.... (worship)

Edited by Blind Owl

Beautiful recreation by Glanzman :cloud9:

edit: Oh, and Michael also love the FP #35 (I remember selling you my undercopy), my copy is around 7.0, so your new copy is nicer....Congrats!!!

To say mine is "top census" would I think have little impact here, even though it does glow in the dark. Going by what is posted in this thread, most Centaur collectors seem to prefer them raw.

I'm willing to bet that my copy is topped by a fair few others - some of them owned by fellow boardies. One has to approach Centaur collecting with a suitable degree of humility.

Hence we cant rely on GPA and all we have to go on is the experience of collectors who have sought them out over - say - the past quarter century.

Still struggling to picture JB as a pup...

Edited by alanna

Hey Michael it's nice just to own a FP35 a great Arrow classic cover and yes i would say Centaurs are the rarest of the goldenage books.Just try to find some in decent shape that aren't locked in collections.For one example V2 #10 seven on the cgc cenus but how many exist in the raw state not to many i would think,and for being not respected as far as other publishers i would say that is changing along with there values.My two cents!

Would Boardies consider Centaurs to be the scarcest of the Golden Age publishers?

But didn't The Gator complete just about the entire publisher in a matter of months?

Or did he just gather the main series?

Hey Michael it's nice just to own a FP35 a great Arrow classic cover and yes i would say Centaurs are the rarest of the goldenage books.Just try to find some in decent shape that aren't locked in collections.For one example V2 #10 seven on the cgc cenus but how many exist in the raw state not to many i would think,and for being not respected as far as other publishers i would say that is changing along with there values.My two cents!

:hi: (Larson)

137114.jpg.cdb9c7efdc33459084a8f10455005923.jpg

gotta love those Larsons.....

These questions always remind me of my fantastic visit to see this old-timer's collection. Copied here are the shots involving raw Funny Pages -

FunnyPagesShot1.jpg

AMFShot1.jpg

Sorry for reposting but the chance to see this Centaur collection has been one of the highlights of my collecting days :cloud9:

gotta love those Larsons.....

It should be a law!

These questions always remind me of my fantastic visit to see this old-timer's collection. Copied here are the shots involving raw Funny Pages -

FunnyPagesShot1.jpg

AMFShot1.jpg

Sorry for reposting but the chance to see this Centaur collection has been one of the highlights of my collecting days :cloud9:

Wow!

But didn't The Gator complete just about the entire publisher in a matter of months?

Hi Bill, I don't think Gator picked up ALL the entire publisher. I think about 90% (he would be better to answer this), and keep in mind it's under 300 total copies, and that it took Win a while after actively going after Centaurs with the help of many Boardies.

I only know of two complete sets, that would be Jon Berk and Win, and Win just recently accomplished this feat.... (worship)

Hi Bill, I don't think Gator picked up ALL the entire publisher. I think about 90% (he would be better to answer this), and keep in mind it's under 300 total copies, and that it took Win a while after actively going after Centaurs with the help of many Boardies.

I only know of two complete sets, that would be Jon Berk and Win, and Win just recently accomplished this feat.... (worship)

Win took more than a decade of very focused, aggressive pursuit before he completed the set. 80% can be found with a bit of effort but the last 10 - 20% are a real challenge.