• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

No chance it is real

Agreed - the anonymity of CLink allows such an over-hyped scenario to develop.

I own the Church copy of that issue and there is no way that I would value it anywhere near this "bid". :eyeroll:

I should have known.

Old pic...

100_2742-1.jpg

here's a rarity under the centaur publisher I was fortunate enough to recently pick up!

image_zpsd7bl17yg.jpeg

Killer book! IIRC there is one more copy of that known. I was offered it some time in the 1990s and it was being called a VF at that time.

there isn't any real concensus on how or where...

we know of 2 copies that exist...maybe more out there somewhere, who knows

maybe J Berk or tsp99 knows (shrug)

There are 4 books like this that I'm aware of.

Khaki Wacky -- I know of 2 copies

AMF with AMan 23 cover -- I know of 2 copies

Popular American Heroes -- I know of 2 copies

Then another of which I know of only 1 copy. I had a picture somewhere, but don't recall what it was.

They're probably a giveaway from CMO (Chicago Mail Order), I've tried to find catalogs from that time to see if there was any notation of a giveaway, but no luck.

There are 4 books like this that I'm aware of.

Khaki Wacky -- I know of 2 copies

AMF with AMan 23 cover -- I know of 2 copies

Then another of which I know of only 1 copy. I had a picture somewhere, but don't recall what it was.

They're probably a giveaway from CMO (Chicago Mail Order), I've tried to find catalogs from that time to see if there was any notation of a giveaway, but no luck.

good info

There are 4 (5?) books like this that I'm aware of.

Khaki Komics Wacky -- I know of 2 copies. Khaki Wacky is a digest started in 1941.

AMF with AMan 23 cover -- I know of 2 3 copies

Liberty Guards -- this one's in OSPG with Man of War #1 reprint, so there may be more existing copies.

good info

Wow, I haven't seen one of these in over 20 yrs. Was offered one at SDCC, but stupidly passed. The two other copies I'm aware of were both higher grade, so I believe there's 3.

I've made a slight edit to Dan excellent info. I believe all these books were published in 1942 for Chicago Mail Order: no price or date and back cover ad is for CMO.

All above books reprint covers originally published by Comic Corporation of America in late 1941. I suspect these all contain Comic Corporation of America reprints and only CMO interior ads.

Are there others out there?!?

Whoops on the Khaki Komics. I think I have Khaki Wacky, which is a CCA title, but not CMO.

I've never paid enough attention to Liberty Guards, maybe because it is listed in OSPG. Is that a CMO book Jeff?

Whoops on the Khaki Komics. I think I have Khaki Wacky, which is a CCA title, but not CMO.

I've never paid enough attention to Liberty Guards, maybe because it is listed in OSPG. Is that a CMO book Jeff?

Khaki Komics is a CMO. Khaki Wacky is CCoA. I'm not totally convinced these are two separate entities.

This is where things get a little fuzzy. According to OSPG and GCD, C-M-O was published by CCoA. I can't locate my copy of C-M-O to check. AMF, Khaki, PAHM and LG appear to be "published" by Chicago Mail Order.

I find it hard to believe CMO started a publishing branch just to print a few free comics, and it seems odd that they all contain CCoA cover/contents. But it's certainly possible.

My feeling is CCoA created them for CMO. But these are very rare comics, so I'm not sure anyone has had them all in one place to confirm/deny.

I looked into that a while back and my recollection (although I'm not 100% sure) is that somewhere I found CCA as the publisher for at least one of the CMO books. But I could very easily be confusing that.