• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the seller? - Alleged High Grade AF #15s on E-bay

21 posts in this topic

I quickly scanned the threads and did not see any reference to this topic, so forgive me if I simply missed the discussion.

There are two auctions ending soon on e-bay regarding AF #15

eBay item 6510331225 (Ends Feb-13-05 09:45:06 PST) - AMAZING FANTASY 15 NM+ 9.6 GORGEOUS

eBay item 6510335073 (Ends Feb-13-05 09:57:42 PST) - AMAZING FANTASY 15 NM- 9.2 BEAUTIFUL

The seller is "gio72", whose e-mail address is apparently eclipse1078@yahoo.com.

Obviously any reasonable person interested in comics (is that possible?!) would be interested in these books. However, there is no way I would spend such a significant amount of money on a raw book without personally inspecting it (unless I knew the seller of course). I wrote the seller and asked:

"Are the two AF #15s available to inspect prior to the auction ending? If they meet my satisfaction and I end up bidding, I can pay immediate cash. Please let me know. Send me your contact information so we can coordinate. Thanks! Mark S. Zaid, Esq."

The response was:

"hello sorry they are not,also there is only 20 hrs left.also i don't take only paypal.my feedback is over 140 and all positive,ive been a user for years now,i offer refunds and any picture you want.bid with no worrys."

Now, whenever I see errors of grammar and sentence structure (or responses that don't particularly make sense), an unwillingness to allow inspection of the item, an attempt to persuade a buyer to rely on prior feedback as if that should control without question, and an apparent disdain for cash, my eyebrows go up. I've dealt with e-bay frauds before and there are patterns that one can discern.

Some people have told me they suspect this seller is another infamous individual whose name has been discussed elsewhere. I wrote the seller back questioning them. They responded denying any impropriety. I remain suspicious, but it could be misplaced.

I should also note that the other auctions for which this person sold were primarily for small budget items (sometimes a dollar or two) such as single baseball cards or computer printer cartridges. Right now they have four of the top SA comic books on e-bay.

Anyone know who this person is?

I am cross-posting this thread in several areas on the boards to maximum response.

Mark,

I would walk away from this one for the following reasons;

The books are not graded.

The seller, although all positives, has under 150 unique positives.

You ask to inspect and are declined.

Possibility of a "High-Jacked" account always possible.

The dollar amount is very great.

Grades may not meet your expectations.

Just too much risk, IMHO !

I'd never buy a raw book for that much money from anyone I was not familiar with (eBay or otherwise) without being able to check the books before buying! 893naughty-thumb.gif

"Better Safe than Sorry !"

If you like to gamble,...go to Vegas ! makepoint.gif

hi.gifflowerred.gif

The advice is sound. But don't worry, I never intended to purchase the books without an inspection.

The transaction is smelling worse and worse. Does anyone recognize the usernanes of any of the high bidders?

I've already had one e-bay seller prosecuted for fraud. This gets my blood flowing and I intend to follow this through to make sure this is legit. If its not, rue the day for the seller!

The advice is sound. But don't worry, I never intended to purchase the books without an inspection.

The transaction is smelling worse and worse. Does anyone recognize the usernanes of any of the high bidders?

I've already had one e-bay seller prosecuted for fraud. This gets my blood flowing and I intend to follow this through to make sure this is legit. If its not, rue the day for the seller!

Note to myself:...... "NEVER PIZZ MARK OFF !!!" makepoint.gif

hail.gifdevil.gif

Ironic that gio72 states he has “been in the comic book business for 20 years and have never had a problem with my grades” yet I do not see where he has sold any comics. If he were in the business for twenty years, he would have the sense to get the books slabbed. Gio72 appears to sell low dollar cards and film so these comic auctions are suspect. I would lean toward this being a hijacked account. There is a lot of cash to be made, if the seller were to collect on the four outstanding auctions. gossip.gif

So what book is that? You devotees ought to recognize the scan of the coffee table it is on from the past, if it is a stolen (borrowed?) image.

Is it possible that this guy doesn't get it and is about to make someone's life by selling a real AF 15 at 9.6 for relative peanuts?

I have emailed him with the salient questions, and will post the results, if any.

I have a very simple explanation as to why this is guaranteed bogus, regardless of how sincere yeahok.gif the seller may be:

Anyone who claims to be as experienced in comics as this seller does, with the audacity to call their raw Amazing Fantasy # 15 a 9.6, yet STUPID ENOUGH to sell a 200k+ book on eBay using a photo taken on their COFFE TABLE would be mentally incapable of keeping the comic book in 9.6 condition.

Why is this even a discussion? makepoint.gif

Ironic that gio72 states he has “been in the comic book business for 20 years and have never had a problem with my grades” yet I do not see where he has sold any comics. If he were in the business for twenty years, he would have the sense to get the books slabbed. Gio72 appears to sell low dollar cards and film so these comic auctions are suspect. I would lean toward this being a hijacked account. There is a lot of cash to be made, if the seller were to collect on the four outstanding auctions. gossip.gif

It's also possible that these books were purchased as HG CGC PLOD's, and are now being sold as unrestored raw copies. By the time most sellers have the book sent to CGC for grading and a resto check, the seller could be long gone. Someone did that to me once, but thankfully I was able to cancel the check in time.

Everyone, I very much APPRECIATE the excellent advice each of you are giving, but please understand that I NEVER was considering buying from this seller. The auction wreaks of fraud (and if the seller is reading this, please go right ahead and try to sue me for defamation. I relish the opportunity).

I've been around far, far too long that I cannot spot an immediate problem with an auction for a key book in fantastic condition going for a low price from a seller whom I don't know. The e-mail discussions I am having with the person are even better. He (1) won't accept cash or a bank check and (2) won't allow inspection of the book at a location of his choice with any number of witnesses present before I would shell out tens of thousands of dollars. I don't think so!

The intent of the post was to ascertain whether anyone knew of the seller on the slight ity bity chance it could be a legitimate naive person. Didn't pan out. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thanks again everyone.

Here is the question and reply:

Dear gio72,

1. Where did the AF 15s come from?

2. Why have you not had them CGC graded?

3. Please send me a) a high-resolution scan of the front and back covers, and b) a scan of the comic on a newspaper with the date clearly shown.

4. Would it be possible to have my agent in New York come and personally examine the comic(s)?

Thank you for your time.

Mark Wolfe

hello

heres those pictures you wanted.

heres the history,when i was a young buck,i saw a ad in the paper for comics and what they were worth,the top of the list was amazing spiderman 1 valued at 1000.00.hooked from there,when into comics,i wanted every first appearence there was,in the infamous mint grade,i could find the comics until my boss talked about the conventions,that seal the deal he ask around and got the book.this was over time,i wasn't a kid buying 10000.00 comics.i also missed out on a amazing spiderman 1 mint for 350.00.ouch.

if you want to purchase anyone of these comics,it will have to be by paypal,which is good because this allows the buyer to get the comic and not lose his money,not like escrow which only wirks for the buyer.

comic is unrestored and nearmint.the amazing fantasy 15 is nearmint this comic is just as priceless as the other,the only way to get these books is in a buried collection,which is what i have.

if you need more pictures of any books,email.

thank you

alex

He DID include a scan of the comic in mylar on top of the Feb 17 edition of a newspaper. Also front and back scans on the same coffee table that are detailed enough for me to see that if this is a scam, it's a damn clever one. They look like the real deal to me.

Although he obviously read my e-mail, he failed to address questions 1, 2 and 4 and was cryptic on No. 1.

Yet the current bid is over 12K....??

Here is the question and reply:

Dear gio72,

1. Where did the AF 15s come from?

2. Why have you not had them CGC graded?

3. Please send me a) a high-resolution scan of the front and back covers, and b) a scan of the comic on a newspaper with the date clearly shown.

4. Would it be possible to have my agent in New York come and personally examine the comic(s)?

Thank you for your time.

Mark Wolfe

hello

heres those pictures you wanted.

heres the history,when i was a young buck,i saw a ad in the paper for comics and what they were worth,the top of the list was amazing spiderman 1 valued at 1000.00.hooked from there,when into comics,i wanted every first appearence there was,in the infamous mint grade,i could find the comics until my boss talked about the conventions,that seal the deal he ask around and got the book.this was over time,i wasn't a kid buying 10000.00 comics.i also missed out on a amazing spiderman 1 mint for 350.00.ouch.

if you want to purchase anyone of these comics,it will have to be by paypal,which is good because this allows the buyer to get the comic and not lose his money,not like escrow which only wirks for the buyer.

comic is unrestored and nearmint.the amazing fantasy 15 is nearmint this comic is just as priceless as the other,the only way to get these books is in a buried collection,which is what i have.

if you need more pictures of any books,email.

thank you

alex

He DID include a scan of the comic in mylar on top of the Feb 17 edition of a newspaper. Also front and back scans on the same coffee table that are detailed enough for me to see that if this is a scam, it's a damn clever one. They look like the real deal to me.

Although he obviously read my e-mail, he failed to address questions 1, 2 and 4 and was cryptic on No. 1.

Yet the current bid is over 12K....??

The AF#15 9.2 and the Spidey #2 are both restored books.

Flushing NY as his location...ComicKeys under a different alias? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

No, but he bought some of those books from Comic-Keys. Like the AF#15 and Spidey #2 that I just mentioned. The seller is the same guy who tried to screw me on the Spidey #6 back in 2003. He's just using a fake name and a different Ebay ID.