• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any rules while buying at Cons? Is it ok to create a bidding war?

127 posts in this topic

Also he may think you are trying to trick him and set the book down...

So you stand there disparaging the dealers book, chase off a potential sale and then expect the dealer to bargain with you?

Nice plan.

When someone is holding a book it is off limits to everyone else. Once he puts that book down then it's up for grabs Most people would be beyond pissed off if someone made an offer on a book while they were holding it and contemplating buying.

So you stand there disparaging the dealers book, chase off a potential sale and then expect the dealer to bargain with you?

Nice plan.

I also have a plan 'B'

Nice plan.

How is saying a book is a great deal disparaging?

Nice plan.

I also have a plan 'B'

Does it include roundhouse kicks?

Offering a price for a book while another potential customer is holding it and deciding whether to purchase or not is pretty lame imo. Wait it out or check around with other sellers and you might even find a better copy at a better price!

What you can also do is make deals with several vendors to go around making offers on books someone is considering to increase sales for them.

SHILLING!

I don't do cons anymore, but the thing that bugged me back in the day were box hogs, the guys ( and it was always guys) who body blocked or put their backpack on top of the next box or two they wanted to go through. Sorry, just because you got to the table before me, doesn't mean you get to look at every book in boxes before me.

I once had a guy tell me he was going to look at "that box next" when I started checking out the one to his right. My response was along the lines of "'Sure, when I'm done." I got a grumpy frown, but that was it.

Recently at an estate sale I asked someone if I could see a box inbetween him and another person looking through the boxes, he was so bothered that he threatened to punch me in the face

I get extremely agitated when someone picks on a friend of mine. It goes way back.

Even someone I was afraid of myself if they picked on a friend I became like a rabid badger

I'd get you your box

I don't do cons anymore, but the thing that bugged me back in the day were box hogs, the guys ( and it was always guys) who body blocked or put their backpack on top of the next box or two they wanted to go through. Sorry, just because you got to the table before me, doesn't mean you get to look at every book in boxes before me.

I once had a guy tell me he was going to look at "that box next" when I started checking out the one to his right. My response was along the lines of "'Sure, when I'm done." I got a grumpy frown, but that was it.

Recently at an estate sale I asked someone if I could see a box inbetween him and another person looking through the boxes, he was so bothered that he threatened to punch me in the face

I have respect for the person in front of me. I do not have respect for his bag. That is a bit much and quite presumptuous of the individual in thinking that the actual seller wants a knapsack or a bag on top of his books.

As far as fights... does that surprise you? I have seen arguments and pushing and shoving in toy aisles over the "hot" toys.

As far as retaliating. Maybe I am getting older but that's not my fight. Other things are... but not that. I would have asked, "Are you really going to punch me because I want to look in a box that no one else actually is? Because then we get thrown out or go to jail and then no one wins." or something like that.

Yep Buzz that would exactly be my opening salvo

I never strike first or at all if possible

Public humiliation much better then if he wants to swing oh well

I have been in that situation at Wondercon. I just waited for the potential buyer to give the book back to the dealer. I looked it over real quick,and bought it. I think it would be rude to bother someone who is a potential buyer,surely I wouldn't want someone doing that to me.

+1

I would not even think about doing that. I wouldn't think it would matter to slip into some boxes.

Yep Buzz that would exactly be my opening salvo

I never strike first or at all if possible

Public humiliation much better then if he wants to swing oh well

You would have a great story though. "So I was at this estate sale the other day when I had to Flamingo Kick this dude......"