• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA starring Dwayne Johnson

27 posts in this topic

Dwayne Johnson To Produce & Star In A Remake Of BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA

Now we have word that a remake is in the works at 20th Century Fox, and it looks like Dwayne Johnson will take on the role of Jack Burton (Kurt Russell in the original), "an All-American trucker who gets dragged into a centuries-old mystical battle in San Francisco’s Chinatown."

The -script will be written by Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz (X-Men: First Class, Thor, the upcoming Power Rangers reboot) and Johnson will produce along with his partners Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia.

mNsE9sq.gif

I'm way more excited about this than I should be.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.

I'm realizing that I enjoy my memories of Attitude-Era WWF Dwayne Johnson and recent appearances from SNL host Johnson and public persona/general all-around good-guy interviewee Johnson more than most of Johnson's movies since Walking Tall and The Rundown. I'm talking movies in which he's the lead - obviously the ensemble casts in the past three Fast and Furious films have been a lot of fun, and he was interesting in Pain and Gain as a supporting character to Marky Mark.

I get that he wants to play to the masses, but these PG-13 vehicles (just like today's WWE product vs. that from before they became a public company) take a lot of the teeth and edge out of his performances. He's at his best when he's free to have some bite to what he does, which is why HBO's Ballers looks promising.

That said, the original BTILC was PG-13, so I guess the tone will probably be similar, though like other posters have said, it seems like a remake is kind of pointless if it's not going to reinvent/improve on the source material (which seems doubtful).

As I mentioned to someone online when I heard the news:

The original worked because of Kurt. He was vaguely heroic, comically flawed, and believably in need of rescuing almost constantly. He's Chris Pratt's forefather. The Rock would be better for the role of Thunder.

The Rock is the opposite of most of what made Jack Burton lovable and what made the movie work.

This film was a product of it's era. It contains attributes that cannot be recreated, and any attempt to do so will result in a "forced" production.

PS. I love the Rock! :banana:

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it." "Know your roll and shut your mouth!"

Fixed it for you! (thumbs u