• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are key comics good investments?

723 posts in this topic

I think keys are comparable to blue chip stock. Not a lot of movement, but safer to sit on. Working capital is my best friend and I'm all about the quick flip, short deal, rinse repeat. Sure I could have sat chill with some monster keys, but what a squeeze my life would be in. I think its just as nice that I can say I had this or that as much as saying I have this or that.

+1

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

The last 5 years has enjoyed a lot of popular heat that cant be replicated (the Marvel Boom was great, but it cant happen twice)

Take a look at the same books from 2000-2005, 2005-2010 and did the books do as well as in the most recent 5 years?

That would be an interesting exercise, but it's probably been done. I would venture to say that comics may have fared better than the market over the 10 year period from the start of the millennium. But that's anecdotal and not factual.

I do want to point out that the sampling size was rather limited, only about 15 books total. Either way, just as the indices are made up of multiple stocks of differing weighting, I've always wondered if a similar model could be applied to a comic tracking device - for example 1960-1965 keys CGC 7.5.

As for the Marvel Boom not happening twice, I would say that the Marvel Boom has happened multiple times already this century and in previous decades. Trends come and go, but long standing companies will have ways of reinventing itself and diversifying their offerings.

I think keys are comparable to blue chip stock. Not a lot of movement, but safer to sit on. Working capital is my best friend and I'm all about the quick flip, short deal, rinse repeat. Sure I could have sat chill with some monster keys, but what a squeeze my life would be in. I think its just as nice that I can say I had this or that as much as saying I have this or that.

+1

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

I never get tired of "having". :cloud9:

-J.

Two threads I never tire of are comic investment threads and Hulk 180/181 threads

My favs are " what kind of scanner should I use", and " comic investment" threads.

I'm kinda partial to the ebay bucks threads

In the end aren't they all Kav threads? lol

Enough about me, let's talk about me.

-Kav

This reminds me of something that happened to me actually-

My favs are " what kind of scanner should I use", and " comic investment" threads.

Personally I love B Day threads.

I wouldn't know. I haven't done one in quite awhile. :boo:

with certain keys earning between 15-20% per year consistently over the past decade, they have performed much better than blue chip stocks

with certain keys earning between 15-20% per year consistently over the past decade, they have performed much better than blue chip stocks

The logical inconsistency here is that certain keys have performed better than [many/some?] blue chip stocks.

However, the reverse is also true... Certain blue chip stocks have performed better than [many/some] key comics.