• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are key comics good investments?

723 posts in this topic

Someone tell me buying Cap #1 for $1000 20 years ago was a bad investment.

Go ahead-just tell me.

Comics are not a "good" investment long term from this point in time on.

Why?

some of the many reasons include

!. they are not liquid,

2. they are fragile, even graded.

3. they are currently at historic highs

4.there is no interest or dividend of initial investment

5. reasons 5 through 10 are even more obvious than 1-4

Except that some comics are in fact good investments,they are liquid. Maybe not 50's war comics,but I think I made a pretty good investment back in 1983 when I purchased my AF15 for 500.00.What does a 5.0\5.5 going for now? 25-28K? I am pretty sure I can sell that book in a heartbeat if I needed to. Let me see....at the least I made 24,500.00 on that initial 500.00,not bad I'd say! hm

Is it insured? do you have environmental controls? do you store it?

I think you grossly over-estimate your return, unless you intend to cheat the tax man as well.

It is insured,it is in an environmentally controlled room,and as far as the tax man...,. Are you serious? For one it probably won't be sold until after my demise,and as far as the IRS is concerned. If you're not cheating,you're not trying. lol

Never go into debt to buy a collectible.

Well said. :applause:

(worship)

Not necessarily true in all cases.

Let's just say that Anderson would not have anywhere near the collection he currently has if he had not maxed out on all those credit cards thrown his way when he first came out of dental school.

You would seriously pull money out of your 401K to buy comics? Don't be silly,and don't give bad advice to impressionable people.

IRS notified

Hey kav. This guy is a dullard,some questions he's asking me. Like I would cheat the tax man if I sell? I was making a point that there are good "investments" to be had,past,present and future. (shrug)

Of course that would never happen

In the real world there are no super deals like that and pulling money out of your K is a dullard move

Of course that would never happen

In the real world there are no super deals like that and pulling money out of your K is a dullard move

Yeah,dullard seems to work with this guy. lol

Never saw the claws come out before-don't mess with the exTERMINATOR

I would pull out 50K to buy Action #1 8.0

No, not for an Action #1 8.0.

More for the Church run of Action 1 through 23, along with some other nice books you may have heard of. :takeit:

And no, not by borrowing from his 401K, more like borrowing (i.e. going into debt) by simply taking full advantage of the money that was being thrown at the feet of graduating students from "hot" disciplines by the banks at the time.

When Oak yells bees fly out of his mouth

:roflmao:

His trained termites will chew your collection down to nothing.

His rats will gnaw your nads into oblivion

I know some people find you annoying,but I think I see the true guy behind your responses.I may be wrong,but there is a genuine guy there that really tells it like it is,even when you kid around.I like that. (thumbs u