• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh no....I think I was sent a replaced book.

38 posts in this topic

I bought a Ms Marvel 1:100 sketch variant off ebay recently and just received it today. Immediately something didn't seem right. The case has a bunch of weird scuffs and the left side can actually open with very little pressure about half an inch. I'm now very worried.

Then I start to examine the actual book, which should be a 9.6. Front cover looks good, nothing stands out. The back cover, however, is a mess. Some fairly major rubbing and color loss on the spine and a small tear at the top. I'll work on getting some pictures up in a bit, but looks like I got hosed.

some CGC cases have some play to them. You can actually pull it open at the sides significantly, then others have very little play.

It may be nothing but a loosely graded book.

A small tear can be considered there from manufacturing.

I bought a Ms Marvel 1:100 sketch variant off ebay recently and just received it today. Immediately something didn't seem right. The case has a bunch of weird scuffs and the left side can actually open with very little pressure about half an inch. I'm now very worried.

Then I start to examine the actual book, which should be a 9.6. Front cover looks good, nothing stands out. The back cover, however, is a mess. Some fairly major rubbing and color loss on the spine and a small tear at the top. I'll work on getting some pictures up in a bit, but looks like I got hosed.

Show the label. Also, 9.6s have multiple flaws. Otherwise they would be 9.8s or higher.

The case doesn't look unusual to me. I don't think it's a scam. But with the scrunch/tear and the rubbing I'm guessing it wouldn't hit 9.4 on resub. As others have said, just return it letting the seller know about the tear.

Now I really don't know what to do. If this is indeed normal and not replaced it wouldn't be right to request a refund, but I honestly wouldn't be comfortable reselling this book down the line. Is there a definitive way to tell if a book has been replaced?

I suspect the seller knew about the BC problems as he didn't have a BC scan in the listing. Though one would think, being a 9.6, there would not be any significant problems. I would contact CGC about this, seriously. If that's really dirt on the BC, perhaps it was dropped during encapsulation or somewhere post grading. I just can't believe it was like this when they were grading the book.

I suspect the seller knew about the BC problems as he didn't have a BC scan in the listing. Though one would think, being a 9.6, there would not be any significant problems. I would contact CGC about this, seriously. If that's really dirt on the BC, perhaps it was dropped during encapsulation or somewhere post grading. I just can't believe it was like this when they were grading the book.

It's a tiny bit of color rub/manufacturing dirt on the back, Bob - it would most certainly not knock a book below a 9.6.

What is concerning, however, is what looks like a tear:

WwbVRp7.jpg

It's either QC/encapsulation damage or caused by the seller manhandling the slab - it shouldn't be there.

I'd think that that tear by itself would take it out of 9.6 range alone. Though the rubbing could be considered a production defect, as Marvel does seem to have a problem with rubbing along the spine

It seems like a quarter of my slabs can easily be pried open a bit on the side. It always freaks me out.

Same here! Drives me nuts... Left side of the case when looking at it from the front. My newly graded IH181 has it... Bugs the hell out of me.

I'd prefer you guys focus on a conspiracy theory angle, it's almost Friday.

Wednesday is the new Friday.

We need an "Oh no" forum.