• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh no....I think I was sent a replaced book.

38 posts in this topic

It seems like a quarter of my slabs can easily be pried open a bit on the side. It always freaks me out.

Same here! Drives me nuts... Left side of the case when looking at it from the front. My newly graded IH181 has it... Bugs the hell out of me.

We've reached an era in certification where people care as much or more about the shape of the plastic holder than what is in the plastic holder.

Every CGC slab can be slightly opened on one side. At least every one I've ever seen.

Good to know the book most likely wasn't replaced at least. Think I was just a bit paranoid because there is no way I would personally grade this a 9.6. Maybe a 9.2 (with the tear even that seems generous) if it was sold to me as a raw copy and from what I have witnessed CGC usually seems fairly strict with grading. My other 9.6's look almost flawless with only tiny defects. I have 9.0's that look better than this one. (shrug) Really should have been more diligent with the seller's blurry pic and not showing the back cover.

I'd prefer you guys focus on a conspiracy theory angle, it's almost Friday.

Wednesday is the new Friday.

How long did it take that post to load?

Now I really don't know what to do. If this is indeed normal and not replaced it wouldn't be right to request a refund, but I honestly wouldn't be comfortable reselling this book down the line. Is there a definitive way to tell if a book has been replaced?

If the tear wasn't mentioned in the description or visible in any images, I don't see why asking for a refund would be unacceptable.

I suspect the seller knew about the BC problems as he didn't have a BC scan in the listing. Though one would think, being a 9.6, there would not be any significant problems. I would contact CGC about this, seriously. If that's really dirt on the BC, perhaps it was dropped during encapsulation or somewhere post grading. I just can't believe it was like this when they were grading the book.

It's a tiny bit of color rub/manufacturing dirt on the back, Bob - it would most certainly not knock a book below a 9.6.

What is concerning, however, is what looks like a tear:

WwbVRp7.jpg

It's either QC/encapsulation damage or caused by the seller manhandling the slab - it shouldn't be there.

+1 THIS is what drops it out of 9.6 range. I' with Mike that it was caused while in CGC custody (after the graders saw it) or by mishandling after encapsulation.

EDIT: And welcome to the boards!

It seems like a quarter of my slabs can easily be pried open a bit on the side. It always freaks me out.

Same here! Drives me nuts... Left side of the case when looking at it from the front. My newly graded IH181 has it... Bugs the hell out of me.

Try 100 %.

Good to know the book most likely wasn't replaced at least. Think I was just a bit paranoid because there is no way I would personally grade this a 9.6. Maybe a 9.2 (with the tear even that seems generous) if it was sold to me as a raw copy and from what I have witnessed CGC usually seems fairly strict with grading. My other 9.6's look almost flawless with only tiny defects. I have 9.0's that look better than this one. (shrug) Really should have been more diligent with the seller's blurry pic and not showing the back cover.

Your experience is probably a quality control problem, but CGC is anything but consistent as far as grading goes. I've cracked out 9.0s that are 9.4s, and 9.4s that are 9.0s - it almost seems random at times.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I'll be keeping it too since I purchased with a $100 coupon and they are not refundable. Would only get back $55 in a return. Even if it is overgraded it's worth that.

Less than a second. Everything must be fixed.

All hail Arch.

All hail Arch.

Just wait, it will happen again again. Always happens to me when I am most eager to get to a page or make a post in a hurry. Maybe the system is cognizant of that and is taunting me. hm

All hail Arch.

Just wait, it will happen again again. Always happens to me when I am most eager to get to a page or make a post in a hurry. Maybe the system is cognizant of that and is taunting me. hm

The obvious solution is for you to stop being so eager to get to a page. Slow your roll.

Change comes from within. :foryou:

If you really don't want it, see if the seller accepts returns and tell him that once you got the book in hand you changed your mind. And offer to pay the return shipping.

DO NOT mention your conspiracy theory, however. As an ethical seller...if a buyer says something like that to me and then returns the book, now I feel very uncomfortable ever selling that book again, even with no evidence that there's anything wrong. So you'd really be putting him in a tough spot with that.

If you really don't want it, see if the seller accepts returns and tell him that once you got the book in hand you changed your mind. And offer to pay the return shipping.

DO NOT mention your conspiracy theory, however. As an ethical seller...if a buyer says something like that to me and then returns the book, now I feel very uncomfortable ever selling that book again, even with no evidence that there's anything wrong. So you'd really be putting him in a tough spot with that.

Well, it wasn't really a conspiracy theory. More along the lines of I didn't believe CGC would let a book get a 9.6 looking like that (and the case opens literally half an inch on the sides, while others I have barely open at all). Judging by the response here I no longer believe the case was tampered with. The damage was probably done after the fact. Maybe a tiny tear that with movement became larger and started to crease. I dunno.

Either way, since I payed with a nonrefundable coupon I wouldn't get a "full" refund, so I'm keeping it. But if I ever do resell I will most likely have it regraded just to avoid any controversy and like you said, I would feel uncomfortable selling it like this. Just wish this seller would have felt the same way. Or at least provided a scan of the back to disclose the obvious flaws.

All hail Arch.

The obvious solution is for you to stop being so eager to get to a page. Slow your roll.

Change comes from within. :foryou:

But, but I need to do it before I get dis....Hey look! A squirrel!