• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

'Aquaman's Patrick Wilson Praises Warner Bros.' Choice In Directors

aquaman-patrick-wilson--1065856-640x320.

Wilson, who plays Aquaman's villain Orm/Ocean Master, recently told Metro that despite the films of the DC Extended Universe being judged pretty harshly by critics and audiences alike, he thinks that the directors deserve more credit and a lot more respect for their stylistic choices.

"As they say, there are a lot of different ways to skin a cat," Wilson explained. "Or to make a movie and a franchise. I can only speak on behalf of being an actor and having a relationship with the directors. As a fan, I sit back and see the choices that they make for directors and they are very strong, focused, individual directors and that takes confidence. It's easy to hire someone that is just a yes man. And they're certainly not, which is very exciting."

And like Snyder, Aquaman director James Wan also has his own visionary style. Perhaps best known for his work on horror films, such as The Conjuring and Saw, Wan has the task of creating a film where much of the story takes place underwater. It's a challenge for any filmmaker, but in addition to Wilson's praise Willem Dafoe -- who plays Nudis Vulko in Aquaman -- had nothing but positive to say about the director when speaking with The Playlist back in September.

"James Wan's great," Dafoe said. "He's great. I mean, because of the underwater [aspect of the movie] it's very complicated technically. But you see it in his films, he's very detail-oriented. He figures the cut. He's very precise. He's a real gifted filmmaker."

AQUAMAN Director Debunks Recent Villain Rumor And Reveals Black Manta And Ocean Master Details

Black_Manta.jpg

Fans have theorized that we'll see a total of three villains in Aquaman in the form of Patrick Wilson as Orm/Ocean Master, Abdul-Mateen as Black Manta, and Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus. It turns out that's not actually the case! "This is what I’ll say: I don’t have three villains," director James Wayn says. "I think that’s ridiculous! I would never go into an origin movie with three villains. We don’t even know the main character let alone the world and its antagonist. I believe in taking baby steps."

That's probably for the best, especially as this movie is going to need to do an awful lot of work with Aquaman after his brief appearance in Justice League (where a lot of his scenes ended up being cut). 

How many villains are we getting? "I want to introduce Arthur Curry in a much more emotional and powerful way, and introduce Mera played by Amber Heard, and of course there’s Nicole Kidman and Temuera Morrison playing his parents. We know Black Manta is in there, but I will say this: Patrick Wilson is the main antagonist in this film. I wouldn’t necessarily say ‘villain,’ but he’s the antagonist." So, it sounds like Black Manta will be the lead villain but Orm could be pulling the strings somewhere.

I like that James Wan is ensuring the screen isn't overcrowded with villains. Just give us one to two very well developed characters.

AQUAMAN Star Talks Filming And Preparing For The Role Of Black Manta

During a recent interview with GQ, Yahya Abdul Mateen II felt excited to talk about his role as Black Manta, the villain in next year's Aquaman. He talks about getting into shape to battle Jason Momoa's Aquaman, and even though there is still a long wait until its release, the actor is confident that the end result will be worth the wait for audiences.

"It’s going great! The scale is epic, and this movie is going to be so good. I can’t say too much, but in the hands of James Wan and with Jason Momoa at the helm, I think people are going to be really happy with it. It’s been about five days a week in the gym and doing fight training, too. I have a love-hate relationship with working out. I do not enjoy the experience when I’m doing it, but I never regret it. I think I’m in the best shape of my life.

He also gives his opinion of the film's shooting location, Australia.

"It’s just so low stress. I love it and have been telling everyone that if they ever get the chance they should come visit. I kind of assumed all of Australia was like the Gold Coast – so I was telling people Australians just work out and go to the beach. Like, Australia has it figured out! But then I went to Sydney and it was nothing like the Gold Coast – but I still loved it.”

'Captain America' Star Gives 'Aquaman' Director Inspiration

Chris Evans on Twitter retweeted an article about a rare jellyfish. There are only a dozen recorded sightings of the creature.

"Only a dozen recorded sighting?!" Evans tweeted. "It's nice to think about how much beautiful mystery is still out there.

Director James Wan may explore some of that beautiful mystery in Aquaman. Wan saw Evan's tweet and retweeted it himself. "Ahh, yes, thanks for the inspiration," Wan tweeted.

So if Wan ends up adding a pretty jellyfish to Aquaman in post-production, fans will know Evans was responsible.

Teaser trailer coming soon??

Composer shares photo from ‘Aquaman’ trailer scoring session

27576093_1815699158448800_17219709300637

Carlos Villalobos Jr. is a composer and last night on Instagram he revealed that he’s working on the music for the upcoming Aquaman trailer.

“Trailer scoring heaven today #composer #studio #aquaman #oldfriends,” Villalobos Jr. captioned his photo from inside his studio. You can see a new still of Jason Momoa as Aquaman from the trailer he has playing on the screen.

Expect the trailer to be finished soon. It’s most likely coming next month, just in time to be played with big Warner Bros. releases like Tomb Raider and Ready Player One.

'Aquaman' Early Test Screenings Are Reportedly Positive

DC Films is set to debut Aquaman’s solo film later this year, and it sounds like early test screenings for the movie are going well.

According to reports, Warner Bros. apparently held an early test screening for Aquaman at its studio lot. Those lucky enough to attend the showing cannot speak about what they saw, but one third-party site can on their behalf. Over on Twitter, Batman News shared reactions from some of the screening’s attendees, and the post sounds positive.

For now, fans will have to rely on word of mouth and third-party praise when it comes to Aquaman. DC Films has kept the movie’s debut trailer on the low so far, but many are hoping it will drop soon. So, here’s to hoping Wan’s team will cut that reel before the summer convention circuit begins.

Aquaman premieres in theaters on December 21st.

Spoiler-Free Aquaman Impressions

By now most people on the internet are aware that there was an Aquaman test screening yesterday as many other sites are posting how people found it to be pretty good and surprisingly emotional.

I did not attend this test screening, but a source I trust did and I’ve spent the last twelve hours or so picking their brain about the movie. While I could spoil the whole thing, I wouldn’t do that. It’s ten months away and James Wan deserves this movie to make Black Panther money, it’s that cool. So I wouldn’t spoil it like that to step on his toes.

But I will share with you some non-spoiler impressions I’ve heard and a very generic idea of what it’s about.

When DC Comics relaunched their line in 2011 with the New 52 one of the most memorable runs during that time was Geoff Johns’ Aquaman. It made Arthur a badass, and introduced cool villains such as The Trench and the Throne of Atlantis story line. December’s Aquaman movie is heavily inspired by Johns’ New 52 and contains elements from the Trench and Throne of Atlantis. So if you are familiar with the Throne of Atlantis story, you will have a good idea of what the plot is about.

So that’s basically what Aquaman is. Arthur and Mera must stop his half brother from doing something terrible and they go on a cool Indiana Jones style quest to get what they need (and it’s steeped in the ancient history of Atlantis). DC knows there are a lot of Mera fans, and she’s in the movie a lot almost always at Arthur’s side. Black Manta does appear and his costume and origin are comic-accurate, and some of the leaked stuff recently showing a familiar costume for Arthur was accurate as well. Orm was described to me as similar in motivation and methods to Loki in the MCU movies, which is a great sign as Loki is one of Marvel’s stronger villains in their films.

Behind it all is a very sweet and emotional love story between Arthur’s parents Atlanna and Thomas Curry. James Wan knows how to make fanboys cry, as seen in Furious 7 and the Paul Walker ending, and if they keep Aquaman structured the way it was in this screening people will be very happy with it and want to see more adventures of Arthur Curry. It seems like it’s much more similar in structure and tone to Wonder Woman than Justice League.

Here’s When We’ll Get To See The First AQUAMAN Trailer!

Jason-Momoa-as-Aquaman-by-MauLoa-840x420

I’ve reported elsewhere that Wan almost bailed on Aquaman in the months following the release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. He saw the way the studio had meddled with the theatrical cut of that film, how they were in the midst of meddling with Justice League, and how they had practically thrown David Ayer out of the editing room for Suicide Squad, and he was ready to fly the coop. Ultimately, the studio kept him on board by promising to leave him alone and let him make Aquaman his way.

That seems to be paying off, as I’ve heard from multiple sources that Aquaman is shaping up to be pretty special. So now the big question is: When will we get our first look at the movie?

A couple of weeks ago, we reported that it looked like a trailer would be arriving soon. Today, I can share with you exactly when Warner Bros. is planning on unveiling the first Aquaman trailer. And that’s during their panel at this year’s Wonder Con. The event is taking place between March 23 and 25, which is only a month away.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, Callaway29 said:

I'm rooting for this film. If only to give DC some momentum...

Pinning your hopes on Aquaman, huh? It's not often that happens...

:wink: