• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

Suicide Squad had Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, which certainly helped its cause given how wildly popular that character is -- I agree a terrible film, but it had its draws.

But Aquaman certainly could do well financially IF it gets good word of mouth.  With some residual hesitation due to DC's films, it will have to have people saying positive things for it to become a success.  If it's a well-written, fun, exciting movie, it should get the word of mouth it needs to thrive.  If not, well...

On 3/24/2018 at 10:43 PM, kimik said:

I agree with CC on this one. Right now BP is still doing well at the BO and all of the buzz right now is for Avengers Infinity War. Look at DP 2 - it is getting lost even though it has a closer release day. Wait until things die down later in the year and then release it when you have less competition from other comic-flicks.

To me it's a no brainer. I honestly think no matter how good it is critically it is still going to be the lowest performing of all these current DC cinematic universe movies at the box office. I could see it doing lower domestic box office than Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern. No pun intended but Aquaman most likely is dead in the water box office wise before it even debuts sadly. 

With that said I think Shazam will be the movie that puts DC on the right track and start a new life. That Shazam movie is going to pleasantly surprise people. 

Think of Shazam like Christopher Reeve Superman 1 and 2 style.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

17 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I stand by my comment. ?

It’s not too late, they could go back for reshoots and add a scene whereby Aquaman milks a giant walrus. :baiting:

11 minutes ago, bane said:

It’s not too late, they could go back for reshoots and add a scene whereby Aquaman milks a giant walrus. :baiting:

Only if they milk it from two udders. He's a two-udder man.

:tink:

14 hours ago, paperheart said:

you might be surprised. one of the worst movies of the past decade, Suicide Squad, managed $740MM without China. I think James Wan gets it and although Jason Mamoa can't act it won't matter.  if they are able to distance themselves from the Snyder fiascos, this could do $700MM.

It's almost like we're swapping roles... lol

Aquaman already had his debut outing in JL and didn't receive the same attention as Wonder Woman did in BvS. I don't see the cinema goers rushing to see Aquaman like they did for WW.

Now, going back to SS, if they'd cast Margot Robbie as Mera, I'm sure it would break that lofty figure.

Margot Robbie as Iris West - HIT ... Margot Robbie as Jade - HIT ... Margot Robbie as Cyborg - HIT  (thumbsu

On 3/25/2018 at 2:12 AM, Batman said:

All joking aside, good marketing strategy will only help increase ticket sales... However, I'm fairly certain that Aquaman isn't going to be a huge success. Whilst there's a lot of potential with the character, he isn't Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman.

You’re right: He’s better

Edited by MusterMark

1 hour ago, MusterMark said:

You’re right: He’s better

It's not which character is better, it's which character is more popular. Aquaman isn't as popular as the big three and unless I'm mistaken, the new look didn't go down a storm at the flicks. Coupled with WB/DC alienating the orange tunic/sober Aquaman fan base, I'm sure that will affect the turnout.

Don't get me wrong... I love the DCEU movies. All of them. Even Suicide Squad (...sue me). And I'm sure I'll enjoy Aquaman when I go see it on the opening weekend. I just don't see this movie being a huge success at the box office.

And you're wrong: he isn't. Batman is  :wink:

1 hour ago, Batman said:

It's not which character is better, it's which character is more popular. Aquaman isn't as popular as the big three and unless I'm mistaken, the new look didn't go down a storm at the flicks. Coupled with WB/DC alienating the orange tunic/sober Aquaman fan base, I'm sure that will affect the turnout.

Don't get me wrong... I love the DCEU movies. All of them. Even Suicide Squad (...sue me). And I'm sure I'll enjoy Aquaman when I go see it on the opening weekend. I just don't see this movie being a huge success at the box office.

No, you’re wrong (obviously, duh).

Ok, ok, here’s the actual order:

1. Supes the Kryptonian

2. Aqua the man/amphibian

3. Green (as though there could be any other) Lantern

4. Flash, gone in a

5. Every one else (they’re all very cool, actually, but they all reside together at #5 Superhero Lane, Superhero City, Superstate, Supercountry).  Cohabitation at its best.

2 hours ago, Batman said:

Honestly, people I know who are into the modern hip-hop lifestyle who have told me that the new version of Aquaman looks very lame.

What shocked me was they saw the Justice League movie and told me Aquaman was the one that stood out as corniest character. That to me is a future bad sign box officewise.

These same people loved Black Panther,Avengers,Star Wars and Deadpool and were raving about them before they came out.

To be clear I am wishing Aquaman much critical and box office success as I am a DC fan, but these people are a pulse of modern culture and usually get things right when it comes to judging comic books with mainstream success at the box office. They have had a good track record.

Let's hope DC proves them wrong about Aquaman.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 3/24/2018 at 2:36 PM, Batman said:

Guys, we're talking Aquaman here... AQUAMAN. No amount of marketing savvy is going to save this one.

:wink:

Lots of shots of Mera in the trailers might bring in the drooling fanboys(including me).

WB is moving Aquaman up for a release date in the UK. Though there is talk of the domestic date being changed as well.

Aquaman is swimming into theaters one week earlier than initially expected. That is, if you happen to live in the United Kingdom.

The still trailer-less Aquaman, directed by James Wan and starring Jason Momoa, was originally set to hit theaters around the world on December 21. However, according to Digital Spy, the film is now debuting in the UK on December 14, one week earlier. The report goes on to suggest that, while Warner Bros. hasn't confirmed the date for any other country, the domestic and global releases could also be moved up to match the UK release date.

While there wasn't any reason given for the date swap, it does make a lot of sense for WB to move Aquaman out of that week, given the other movies debuting on December 21.

The week leading up to Christmas will see two big budget sci-fi films hitting theaters. The Robert Rodriguez-led Alita: Battle Angel and Transformers spinoff Bumblebee are both currently occupying the December 21 release date. If Aquaman stays there in the U.S., that puts three major blockbusters opening at the same time. Not to mention that just four days later, on December 25, Disney's Mary Poppins Returns is debuting, and it will likely crush the competition.

By moving to December 14, Aquaman faces a much tamer crowd. The only two movies currently occupying that date are Sony's animated Marvel movie Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, and the big screen adaptation of Mortal Engines. Aquaman would be much more dominant force against that duo, and would benefit from having an extra week of build up before Mary Poppins arrives.