• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

This is a reddit forum that focuses on DECU leaks, and tags all leaks as "unverified" or "verified". Not sure how they verified the content of this poster, but from what I've seen they don't give that tag lightly. If true, low-level aquaman spoilers, read at your own risk:

Edited by Callaway29

I don't mind movie and TV news. Although trailers have become too excessive and revealing to the point they can detract from the final experience.

But I do feel like too much makes it out to the market from these test screenings (real or not is hard to tell nowadays). Also, insiders wanting to share what they know assuming they are doing the production a favor by getting fans excited in advance of release.

No wonder why WB's new DC Universe lead is coming down hard on any employee leaking details in advance.

No Aquaman trailer this weekend at WonderCon.

Here’s When We’ll Get To See The First AQUAMAN Trailer!

Jason-Momoa-as-Aquaman-by-MauLoa-840x420

I heard from someone I trust over at the WB’s marketing department that they’ve decided, at the last second, to hold off on releasing the trailer and the reason may surprise you. It has nothing to do with the nothing burger of a “story” about the film testing poorly- which all stemmed from click bait headlines generated around a very diplomatic and normal observation Mark Hughes shared on his most recent podcast.

No, it has to do with Justice League.

They want to create more distance between Justice League and Aquaman. The higher-ups had thought that some of the negativity surrounding that film would have died down by now, setting the stage to turn the page with a hot Aquaman trailer this weekend. But they’ve since deduced that there’s still a fair amount of negative energy around the DCU because of the Justice League fallout, and they simply cannot risk that negativity impacting the way people think about Aquaman. They need this movie to be a win.

So they’re going to hold off for now, and they hope that positive stories- like the fact that the film is doing well at the home market– help change the narrative, and that people get ready to get excited about the franchise’s future again.

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Honestly, a very smart business decision on their part. Personally I would wait until San Diego Comic Con to debut the trailer.

maybe they can get Zatanna to mindwipe the unfortunate viewers and start from scratch

I agree with CC on this one. Right now BP is still doing well at the BO and all of the buzz right now is for Avengers Infinity War. Look at DP 2 - it is getting lost even though it has a closer release day. Wait until things die down later in the year and then release it when you have less competition from other comic-flicks.

5 hours ago, kimik said:

I agree with CC on this one. Right now BP is still doing well at the BO and all of the buzz right now is for Avengers Infinity War. Look at DP 2 - it is getting lost even though it has a closer release day. Wait until things die down later in the year and then release it when you have less competition from other comic-flicks.

All joking aside, good marketing strategy will only help increase ticket sales... However, I'm fairly certain that Aquaman isn't going to be a huge success. Whilst there's a lot of potential with the character, he isn't Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman.

On 3/23/2018 at 5:28 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Pu ss ies.

Actually, now that it turns out there never was a trailer setup for WonderCon based on James Wan sharing what drives his decisions (quality viewing before he will release any scenes), this has turned into reporting site fights.

Batman-news.com was the one that spun people up he definitely had confirmation there was a trailer ready to go. Now after the Wan tweets, he backed off and said it was a rumor he heard. Now all the other sites that took his reporting as fact are pissed off and calling Batman-news for bad information.

Not the first time these sites have gotten it wrong. lol

Still the best!

18 hours ago, Batman said:

All joking aside, good marketing strategy will only help increase ticket sales... However, I'm fairly certain that Aquaman isn't going to be a huge success. Whilst there's a lot of potential with the character, he isn't Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman.

A huge success for me will be if the movie hits the $500M mark globally. That would be on par with lesser Marvel character first movies and a success for the DCU.

19 hours ago, Batman said:

you might be surprised. one of the worst movies of the past decade, Suicide Squad, managed $740MM without China. I think James Wan gets it and although Jason Mamoa can't act it won't matter.  if they are able to distance themselves from the Snyder fiascos, this could do $700MM.