• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List of characters from STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES

20 posts in this topic

I been going through my SSWS issues and noticed there were a bunch of characters. Some repeated in many issues and others that only made it into two issues. Kind of semi-regulars worth repeating. Below are a few that I thought were worth mentioning. You just don't hear about to often.

(Who would like to put them in order of important)

Enemy Ace

Unknown Soldier

Madam Mlle. Marie

Dinosaur Island (not a character, but a main subject)

G.I. Robot

Frogman

Bird Man

Balloon Buster

The Flying Boots

Giant White Gorilla (name?)

Any others?

Bird Man...did he actually have that name?

top three in order of importance (and frequency, I think)

1. unknown soldier

2. enemy ace

3. GI Robot (even though this was SOOOOOO unrealistic...it was cool though)

(Dinosaurs do make up the longest run, don't they...I don't have OS with me now

so I can't even look it up to be sure. Also, although many issues refer to Dino island, many were just introduced as the "land that time forgot" or something like that, right?)

On a personal note, SSWS 129 rules! MY BROTHERS WITH WINGS!

Did you get my PM?

Did you get my PM?

Yes! Got it. Did you get mine I sent?

Still looking through SSWS and came across other characters that should be added to the list.

Suicide Squad

Hangman

And yes...I think he's called BIRD MAN in one of the panels. I think someone refers to him as that.

Bird Man...did he actually have that name?

top three in order of importance (and frequency, I think)

1. unknown soldier

2. enemy ace

3. GI Robot (even though this was SOOOOOO unrealistic...it was cool though)

(Dinosaurs do make up the longest run, don't they...I don't have OS with me now

so I can't even look it up to be sure. Also, although many issues refer to Dino island, many were just introduced as the "land that time forgot" or something like that, right?)

On a personal note, SSWS 129 rules! MY BROTHERS WITH WINGS!

Did you get my PM?

I would rank Enemy Ace above Unknown Soldier. He was probably the most Marvel-like character in the DC universe, constantly full of angst. I liked the Balloon Buster stories a lot too.

au contraire!

M. Marie, drawn by Mort Drucker, is tops!

Actually, I have to agree with tth2. Enemy Ace is fabulous. and the original art is to die for.

tth2: i can't believe balloon buster is mentioned on this board! i almost feel ashamed to post a 12center, but i have a couple outstanding copies if can remember where they are.

i can't believe balloon buster is mentioned on this board!

Why not! confused-smiley-013.gif He did appear in several issues. And if memory serves me right he is even in the DC WHO'S WHO series. He's a significent character I would think. Not one of my favorites though.

Heck! A giant white gorilla and a baby dinosaur made it into several issues. If they could get several stories of them, I don't see why not Balloon Buster. Of course you never hear about them now-a-days.

I think Balloon Buster fought Enemy Ace kind of on a regular basis. Kind a like that Hangman dude. Didn't one of them have a daughter that fought Enemy Ace?

i can't believe balloon buster is mentioned on this board!

Why not! confused-smiley-013.gif He did appear in several issues. And if memory serves me right he is even in the DC WHO'S WHO series. He's a significent character I would think. Not one of my favorites though.

Heck! A giant white gorilla and a baby dinosaur made it into several issues. If they could get several stories of them, I don't see why not Balloon Buster. Of course you never hear about them now-a-days.

I think Balloon Buster fought Enemy Ace kind of on a regular basis. Kind a like that Hangman dude. Didn't one of them have a daughter that fought Enemy Ace?

heck, i'm pretty sure Balloon Buster made it into Crisis, along with Enemy Ace and some others, I believe

Hi there

A fellow original artwork collector, named Bill Howard, has the original cover art to SSW # 112 available for viewing on the Comic Art Fan's site (look under 'Galleries', which lists contributors alphabetically).

Additionally, I have Russ Heath's original cover artwork to SSW # 137, the last of the 'Dinosaur' issues.

Here's a link to my CAF Galleries (look under COMIC-BOOK COVERS Gallery # 1):

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Hope this is of interest.

Best

TERRY DOYLE

I just wanted to add that in the backup story found in StSp War Stories #183 (1974), Enemy Ace shoots down the Balloon Buster.

As far as ranking the features in terms of importance, I too would definitely go with Unknown Soldier and Enemy Ace in the top two spots. After all, the title did end up being renamed Unknown Soldier following years of his starring in the book. And Enemy Ace's early stories have already appeared in DC's Archives.

The others seem much more debatable, although the Dinosaur issues have really become popular among collectors. And who doesn't like Mlle. Marie?

I forgot to add that I know of G.I. Robot as a Weird War Tales feature. Was it in any issues of Star Spangled War Stories? confused.gif

since this is a robot in GI clothes, i'll assume it's him on the cover of #'s 101 & 102;

1108136598463_SSWS_009.jpg

1110451404671_SSWS_010.jpg

Thank you MC. This helps out quite a bit. It seems that most of the other features mentioned by board members post-date the Mlle Marie issues I mention. The Marie issues are 10 centers while the others appear to be 12 centers. Right?

Does anyone out there know anything about WIERD WAR STORIES?

I never read them (only seen a few issues) and was wondering if any of the SSWS characters were a part of the Wierd War Stories. I think the Dinosaur Island was a part of those and the G.I. Robot. But did any of the other characters show up in those stories. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif