• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,684 posts in this topic

Posted in Golden Age earlier this evening, but it's borderline Silver Age. I posted some DC Jackie Gleason books here a while back, and this might be interesting for comparison.

Jackie Gleason 2 from St. John, October 1955, in glorious BTH condition. Some but not all of the artwork appears to be by the same hand as the DC books. I really like the caricatures of Gleason's characters.

47732-JG.jpg

Jack

"And To Think That I Saw It On Ditko Street!"

Another interesting one from yesterday's box. Two attractive, early Ditko stories in this June 1957 Charlton book.

Jack

47772-OOTW.jpg

Nice Selegue; I've got only one issue from this run but it's a 68 pg. 15 center!!! I love the early Ditko work!!!

Another interesting one from yesterday's box. Two attractive, early Ditko stories in this June 1957 Charlton book.

Nice Selegue; I've got only one issue from this run but it's a 68 pg. 15 center!!! I love the early Ditko work!!!

Thanks for looking. I was out of town all day and am catching up a bit.

This is the only book in the run I have -- in fact, I've never seen the 15¢ issues.

My expectations for Charlton books are very low, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Jack

This is the only book in the run I have -- in fact, I've never seen the 15¢ issues.

My expectations for Charlton books are very low, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Jack

Hi Jack, here's Out of This World #8; a GIANT 15 cent issue from 1958. Not an easy issue to find!!!!!

outofthisworld8-1.jpg

Jack

Hi Jack, here's Out of This World #8; a GIANT 15 cent issue from 1958. Not an easy issue to find!!!!!

outofthisworld8-1.jpg

Good one!

Very minimalist cover -- it's not Ditko, is it? (Hard to tell.)

Is it signed at the bottom of the right hand?

Jack

Jack

outofthisworld8-1.jpg

Good one!

Very minimalist cover -- it's not Ditko, is it? (Hard to tell.)

Is it signed at the bottom of the right hand?

Jack

Don't know if it's Ditko or not. There are two Ditko stories inside though. That's not a signature on the cover. Oh yeah by the way, this is a square-bound book, like an early Marvel Annual.

From the same batch that I was posting a week or so ago, Adventure Comics 264, September 1959. I'm not posting to show off the condition (it's no better than vg-, although attractive DC books from this era are not that easy to find).

48207-Adv264.jpg

Mostly I wanted to show this letter and reply from the Smallville Mailsack.

48208-Adv264lett.jpg

Mort Weisinger comments on continuity: "The Atlantis AQUAMAN's mother came from has a different set-up than the Atlantis presented in the SUPERMAN story.... If writers didn't use their imagination to vary conditions, all comic book stories and science fiction movies would become so repetitious you'd soon lose interest."

Good ol' Unca Mort. Anyone losing interest yet?

Jack

From the same batch that I was posting a week or so ago, Adventure Comics 264, September 1959. I'm not posting to show off the condition (it's no better than vg-, although attractive DC books from this era are not that easy to find).

48207-Adv264.jpg

Mostly I wanted to show this letter and reply from the Smallville Mailsack.

48208-Adv264lett.jpg

Mort Weisinger comments on continuity: "The Atlantis AQUAMAN's mother came from has a different set-up than the Atlantis presented in the SUPERMAN story.... If writers didn't use their imagination to vary conditions, all comic book stories and science fiction movies would become so repetitious you'd soon lose interest."

Jack

I hate to say this, but this is just ONE of the reasons I liked Marvel better than DC!!! The fact that they were NOT more serious is why they sucked!!!!

I hate to say this, but this is just ONE of the reasons I liked Marvel better than DC!!! The fact that they were NOT more serious is why they sucked!!!!

Yeah, but DC "learned their lesson" and became obsessed with continuity (with the help of many fans-turned-writers) to the point that it became an albatross around their necks -- at least from the point of view of the editorial staff that decided to "fix" it with Crisis on Infinite Earths, then again with Zero Hour, then again with.....

Don't get me wrong -- I'm a continuity freak too. I liked Earth-1 and Earth-2 jes' fine. When the number of parallel universes gets over a dozen, or the backstory gets so convoluted that every character is someone else's grandparent AND cousin (as it can at Marvel), I lose interest.

Interesting to see such a strong "who cares about continuity" reply from Weisinger just before the Silver Age went into full bloom, isn't it?

Jack

Got this the other day and posted it in General, but not here. I've been looking for an attractive, reasonably priced copy for quite some time, and this one fits the bill. :cloud9:

action252.jpg

:applause: