• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,645 posts in this topic

No more contributions? Anybody? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, while I'm waiting to scan a few more books, I'll cheat by posting a few scans of some 10 centers that used to be mine, but no longer (all sold on Heritage, as you can see). frown.gif

810069001o.jpg

You know I realy would love to add a nice high grade early JLA to my collection but so many of those DC books either had goofy covers or lame story lines on them that it turns me off. Any cool cover recommendations?

You know I realy would love to add a nice high grade early JLA to my collection but so many of those DC books either had goofy covers or lame story lines on them that it turns me off. Any cool cover recommendations?

I know what you mean. JLA in particular seemed to have relatively mundane covers. But I think #2 is a pretty cool cover.

This copy was owned by me, sold in a private deal to the collector who is now selling it on Heritage.

816012001o.jpg

785976-RobinHood.jpg

785976-RobinHood.jpg.6252a4b914ac9ea3f4b8840508e7249d.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

as I am amazed by AdamStrange's raw collection od sweet DC s.

And I have suspicion that if a certain someone would get out his camera and post some more, we'd be equally impressed with his comics. poke2.gif

as I am amazed by AdamStrange's raw collection od sweet DC s.

And I have suspicion that if a certain someone would get out his camera and post some more, we'd be equally impressed with his comics. poke2.gif

shy.gif

Last "cheating" post, of a 10-center that belonged to me but has been sold. It was a CGC 9.2 when I sold it, and after being cracked and resubbed by the buyer it received a 9.4 grade.

810069002o.jpg

Last "cheating" post, of a 10-center that belonged to me but has been sold. It was a CGC 9.2 when I sold it, and after being cracked and resubbed by the buyer it received a 9.4 grade.

810069002o.jpg

other than what appears to be a small impact crease on the spine right over aquaman's head, i can't see anything wrong with this beauty........... thumbsup2.gif

but, again, what a lame cover.

i'm with you on cover # 2 and i also always liked #4...........

Tim,

White pages from that 1961 are not that common. Did it come from a special collection that doesn't have pedigree status?

Oh, and all those JLAs were very, very pretty.

Edited by adamstrange

810069002o.jpg

other than what appears to be a small impact crease on the spine right over aquaman's head, i can't see anything wrong with this beauty........... thumbsup2.gif

but, again, what a lame cover.

i'm with you on cover # 2 and i also always liked #4...........

lots of HG JLAs in the next Heritage...... too many!

Harry, I agree, and just to be clear I don't think this was necessarily a case of pressing to get the higher grade on resub. I thought long and hard about resubbing, but the stress above Aquaman's head and also a slight tear at the bottom end of the top staple (not easy to see in the scan, but pretty apparent in person) kept me from doing it. Then the B&B 28 came up, and I needed to sell some books to defray the costs so I decided to let this go. Got about 4X OS, so I was a happy camper (until I saw that it came back as a 9.4 frustrated.gif).

Tim,

White pages from that 1961 are not that common. Did it come from a special collection that doesn't have pedigree status?

Adam, the pages are absolutely blazing. I was not surprised at all when it came back with a white pages designation from CGC. I bought the book from VIA back in 98 or 99, and they did not note it as a pedigree or note anything unusual about its background (and those guys definitely would have if it had some kind of history and they could extract one more dollar for it).

I've actually had good experience with page quality on early DCs. My B&B 36 is also designated as having white pages, although oddly the 35 (both are from the Western Penn collection) is C-OW frown.gif. The Western Penn Flash 123 (not owned by me, unfortunately) also has white pages. Even other Western Penns designated as having C-OW pages (some of my Flashes) usually have pretty white covers and back covers. And many Western Penn and PC DCs from 1962 or 1963 seem to have significantly whiter covers, back covers and interior pages than their Marvel counterparts from the same era. I don't know if it was different paper stock or what, but you rarely see the kind of "soaked in oil yellow" white cover that you often see in Marvels.

tim,

this obviously isn't the book that's in the heritage may auction. your old copy looks nicer.

That's correct. The 9.4 JLA 7 in the upcoming May auction is a different copy. My 9.2 copy that was resubbed into a 9.4 was sold as a 9.4 in a Heritage auction last year (I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but I actually started a thread on it).