• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

What is the story on the Newsboy collection?

Also, just as an aside, those of us at my table at the forum dinner agreed that this is the best thread in the whole Silver Age forum. cloud9.gif

We also agreed that it hasn't seen nearly enough action lately. poke2.gif

Yes Sir - get right on it, Sir.......... sumo.gif

and methinks you may be REALLY liking those many frogmen covers......... grin.gif

a slight change from Modern Warfare to "in days of olde, when knights were bolde";

first up - B&B #3 (technically not silver but with a december/january 1955/56 date it's not too far off).

my copies are mostly well-loved, but the covers are still pretty cool. all of these issues are pretty scarce in HG. this one has only 5 copies graded with 8.5 being the best............

1122565668598_brave___bold.jpg

Here's the last of them. (Until I scan some more) grin.gif

Thanks Jeffro, you`ve certainly breathed some life back into this thread. Great books and great scans! What model scanner do you use?

a slight change from Modern Warfare to "in days of olde, when knights were bolde";

geez, Harry, there`s not many guys on the boards who can suddenly pull out a virtually complete run of Silent Knight B&Bs! hail.gif Thanks for putting those up, there`s a lot of hard to find books in there. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Also, just as an aside, those of us at my table at the forum dinner agreed that this is the best thread in the whole Silver Age forum. cloud9.gif

and methinks you may be REALLY liking those many frogmen covers......... grin.gif

Those scuba covers are killer!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Jeffro, you`ve certainly breathed some life back into this thread. Great books and great scans! What model scanner do you use?

Let you know when I get home later. I believe it's a Hewlett Packard. Have to get the exact model for ya.

Next up for scanning will be my run of Legends of Daniel Boone. thumbsup2.gif

Those scuba covers are killer!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think those cockpit covers are my personal favs. What a great perspective.

It's an HP Scanjet 3400C. I picked it up 2-3 years ago at Office Depot for $50 if I remember correctly. I don't think HP makes this model anymore.

Newsboy: a kid with a paper route bought comics every week for a few years from mid 55 to mid-60, hence the name Newsboys. Don't know where they were found (I've assumed Michigan but have no basis for that). Michael Goldman (Motor City) is the only person I've heard of as being associated with buying/selling them and I believe they were discovered in 1992 -- they were announced in CBM but I don't have time to look it up. The condition averages about 9.2 with even the lesser copies having exceptional qualities about them. Titles included the run of Showcases (1 -8, 10-17, 20 -- go to the CGC Gallery to see them), DC War Books from several titles including GI Combat 44 (1st DC issue), My Greatest Adv 3-50 (give a take a few), and a Dell adventure series (a friend told me the title at the SD con but I've already forgotten. I don't think that it's one of general interest). There are about 200 issues in the collection.

Here's a book I posted earlier that's also a Newsboy.

897548-OFF21.jpg

897548-OFF21.jpg.3c1107e587862d4684ae72b35aeb600e.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

You should be asking where he buys his books so you can get some comics about real men and not about those guys in spandex. poke2.gif

Thanks for sharing, Jeffro. Those are all wonderful covers. thumbsup2.gif

Gil Kane inking his own work. Something we wasn't usually allowed to do.

897556-AllStarWest87.jpg

897556-AllStarWest87.jpg.c872c3a95da235a7230dbd6e80c6b91d.jpg

Edited by adamstrange