• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

I wonder how many "Robin Corner Shock" covers there are? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe he's just shocked by the folded up lower right hand corner?!?

Interesting question!

On Detective, if this is "shocked" enough, here's the first, Jan 1942

87_4_0059.jpg

This is the first that really looks shocked, March 1942

87_4_0061.jpg

On Batman, this one isn't quite shocked either, June-July 1942

141_4_0000011.jpg

Looks like it's an old ploy that didn't become a cliché until the 1950s.

Here's a gem from Dec 1950- Jan 1951

141_4_0000062.jpg

It looks like maybe Mortimer started it, Moldoff picked it up and used it as a standard cover element. Classic Moldoff example from March 1957

141_4_0000106.jpg

Jack

Dammit, now I'm going to have to dig up all my 10 centers to show. frustrated.gif

Here's a few:

907690-ASW102.JPG

Of course you do!

makepoint.gif Why have you been holding out on us!

gossip.gif Nice greytones!

*Ahem* I have no idea who turned me onto this book. *ahem*

I think I know -- but it wasn't me. I'm still looking for a copy!

Every time I come back to this thread to read a new post or two, the screen always starts way back to comic scans Ive seen before. Anybody else have that problem? It seems to happen only in threads like this with tons of cover scans...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I just clicked this thread and it went straight to your post, but sometimes it goes to posts I've already read,....so confused-smiley-013.gif

yeah... comes and goes...

First Herbie (I heard adamstrange has herbies gossip.gif)

Yeah, he's had 'em for years. acclaim.gif

The Russ Heath masterpiece...

909423-GIcombat87.JPG

And not just a masterpiece of a cover (gets my vote as one of the top five greytones) a masterpiece inside as well. Features the very first Haunted Tank story, drawn by Heath and another backup story drawn by Heath. I know this gets into the weeds a little bit, but that makes GI Combat #87 the only book in the DC war pantheon where Heath drew the cover and all the interior stories.

Absolutely a must-have book. Good luck finding a copy above FN... they are next to impossible.

If I can, I'll scan and post some of the wonderful Heath greytones between #87 and #100. The toughest books in that run are #88 (really hard to find) and #91 (incredible Heath greytone, and the first Haunted Tank cover.)

Cheers

Shep