• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

off33.jpg

What a GREAT cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's a killer.... I've been on the prowl for a nice VF, but nothin' doin'.

And John, nice one on the G.I. Combat. It's a great book to have - looks like you've got a bad case of big five fever! There's a great story about that cover, and the story inside. When Kanigher got the art for the cover from Grandenetti, he wanted the entire image re-drawn so everything was an inclh lower... so he made a notation on the cover... 'Drop an inch'. Next thing he knows, the letterer inks that into a box on the cover, and the cover goes to print. He gets back the proof, sees what's happened, and calmly walks into his office and writes a story called 'Drop an Inch', gets it drawn on the quick-quick and makes the deadline.

Kanigher was a bit of a testy character, but you have to appreciate his writing and editorial skills...

Great covers... when I get back from Toronto (business trip) I'll post some more frogman covers that I have.

Shep

It's from Jimjum. A great grader by the way.

Great story Shep...where do you here all of these anecdotes from? They really add something to the books in my opinion.

Edited by johnenock

It's from Jimjum. A great grader by the way.

Great story Shep...where do you here all of these anecdotes from? They really add something to the books in my opinion.

I'm not sure where that one came from... I may have gotten it from Robin Snyder.

I'm in touch with a number of DC war collectors who aren't on this list, who are as passionate about the history of these books as they are about the books themselves. They've passed along loads of great tales from the DC bullpen.

I've also been very lucky to meet guys like Russ Heath, Ric Estrada, Ayers, Bob Haney, Irv Novick and others at the DC War Collectors dinner that happens each year during the San Diego con. Great guys, and great stories.

On top of that, I've done lengthy interviews with Joe Kubert and Russ Heath. The interview I did with Joe Kubert was amazing - so much insight. Russ was able to tell me about his artistic growth from a cub artist at Atlas during in the early 50s to becoming the star he is today. Best of all, I had a short mail correspondence with Bob Kanigher before he passed away. My sense is that he was his own biggest fan, but he did take the time to answer my questions about some things.

Anyway, I love the comics AND the stories behind them. 'Drop an Inch' was just one of those tales.

Shep

I have been really lazy and havn't scanned anything in awhile. Here are a couple of Superboy's (I don't *think* they duplicate ones scanned previously). Superboy's number in the 40's-60's are my absolute favorite of the run. These are from a notoriously hard period to get nice copies from. Let's start with issue 51:

sb51.jpg

While this isn't one of my favorite covers of this era, this is a particularly nice copy, and the deep green colors are a change for the time period. What you see on the bottom is the CGC tag behind the backing board. This is an 8.0 CR/OW copy. Issue 54:

sb54.jpg

Last for now, my favorite of these four. First of all I LOVE baseball covers, and this is one of the better ones. Anyone who collects DC from this era (1957) knows how notorious some issues can be to get in nice shape. This copy seems scarcer than other issues from the same time frame, and is nearly impossible in this grade. Issue 57:

sb57.jpg

Absolutely wonderful copies of a great title. I really enjoyed looking at them, especially the "baseball cover". You have quite a collection, Danny. Please take the time to scan some more Superboys. I like Lana Lang covers myself. Perhaps you can scan some of those.

I have been really lazy and havn't scanned anything in awhile. Here are a couple of Superboy's (I don't *think* they duplicate ones scanned previously). Superboy's number in the 40's-60's are my absolute favorite of the run. These are from a notoriously hard period to get nice copies from. Let's start with issue 51:

sb51.jpg

It's nice to see these as there are so few pictured in Gerber.

Thanks!! thumbsup2.gif