• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Action #242 is certainly a very difficult find in decent shape. The nicest I have ever seen is a VF copy. Published May 1958 - a difficult era for 10c DCs generally. Three months earlier World's Finest #94, origin of Batman/Superman team is even scarcer than the Action, but perhaps does not appear to be as it is less sought after.

Until a few days ago cloud9.gif, the nicest copy I had ever seen was the CGC 8.5 CR-OW that sold on ebay within the past few months.

That 8.5 is the top and one and only on the census. There's 1 8.0 and 2 6.5s. The rest is 5.5 and below.

This copy of WF #94 is part of a nice DC collection I recently purchased.

5422.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jimmy Olsen #4 First code approved issue.

jo04.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this run unfold, Danny. I, too, used to have a full set of Jimmy Olsen, but then foolishly decided to let go of all the issues I thought fell short of the VF grade. Now, my run starts at #6 and I am missing a handful of later issues.

That 8.5 is the top and one and only on the census. There's 1 8.0 and 2 6.5s. The rest is 5.5 and below.

5422.jpg

Very pretty looking copy and certainly one of the best two I have ever seen, the other being my own copy. Scans are so hard to grade from - I would be interested to know what you think this beauty grades at.

jo04.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this run unfold, Danny. I, too, used to have a full set of Jimmy Olsen, but then foolishly decided to let go of all the issues I thought fell short of the VF grade. Now, my run starts at #6 and I am missing a handful of later issues.

My Jimmy Olsen run was the first Superman family title I completed. While I have alot of nice issues, I also have alot in the VG ish range that I should upgrade at some point. Wait till you see the beautiful 18 I just got from Harley Yee. I rarlely buy upgrade issues right now, but I couldn't pass this up as 18 is a horribly hard issue to get above good.

5422.jpg

Very pretty looking copy and certainly one of the best two I have ever seen, the other being my own copy. Scans are so hard to grade from - I would be interested to know what you think this beauty grades at.

Better yet...how much and what else did you get? insane.gif

5422.jpg

About 400+ DC books from 1953 - 1959. The ones from late 56' thru 59' are higher grade meaning FN or better. Some are in the VF or better range.

The WF 94 appears better than the actual grade. If not for the tear on the back cover, I would grade it at least 6.5. With the tear, it's probably a 4.5/5.0. Most from this collection have nice pages as well.

The collection has Batman, Detective, Action, Adventure, World's Finest, Jimmy Olsen, a few JLA, Mystery In Space (pre-Adam Strange), New Adventures of Charlie Chan, Showcase, Strange Adventures, Superboy and Superman.

jo04.jpg

My Jimmy Olsen run was the first Superman family title I completed. While I have alot of nice issues, I also have alot in the VG ish range that I should upgrade at some point. Wait till you see the beautiful 18 I just got from Harley Yee. I rarlely buy upgrade issues right now, but I couldn't pass this up as 18 is a horribly hard issue to get above good.

Really looking forward to seeing your new #18, Danny. I assume it's the VF copy from Harley's latest catalog. I noticed that issue, too. Jimmy Olsen #18 is a bit of a sore point for me. I bought the Bethlehem copy and paid twice Harley's price...and that was ten years ago! It is a beautiful copy, though.

Edited by steelcity

5422.jpg

About 400+ DC books from 1953 - 1959. The ones from late 56' thru 59' are higher grade meaning FN or better. Some are in the VF or better range.

The WF 94 appears better than the actual grade. If not for the tear on the back cover, I would grade it at least 6.5. With the tear, it's probably a 4.5/5.0. Most from this collection have nice pages as well.

The collection has Batman, Detective, Action, Adventure, World's Finest, Jimmy Olsen, a few JLA, Mystery In Space (pre-Adam Strange), New Adventures of Charlie Chan, Showcase, Strange Adventures, Superboy and Superman.

Thanks for the grade on the #94. Still think it's the second nicest copy I have seen and appreciate your scan of it. World's Finest #94 hardly gets a mention as a key SA DC, but I know from years of searching that there is no other SA DC that is harder to find in decent shape. When books become so scarce to find, so sales are few and so fewer collectors think to seek for them.

Action #242 is certainly a very difficult find in decent shape. The nicest I have ever seen is a VF copy. Published May 1958 - a difficult era for 10c DCs generally. Three months earlier World's Finest #94, origin of Batman/Superman team is even scarcer than the Action, but perhaps does not appear to be as it is less sought after.

Until a few days ago cloud9.gif, the nicest copy I had ever seen was the CGC 8.5 CR-OW that sold on ebay within the past few months.

You talkin' about this copy? poke2.gif

Action242.jpg

Action242back.jpg

Yes. Would you take $5,300 for it? insane.gif

You talkin' about this copy? poke2.gif

Action242.jpg

Action242back.jpg