• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, it's already June...why isn't there a thread on the new overstreet?

55 posts in this topic

why aren't we talking about it?

[font:Book Antiqua]Because GPA made it Obsolete ?[/font]

(shrug)

So there are no more books left raw?

They've all now been slabbed? :o

Who knew...

Most definitely as I don't think GPA is really relevant to the overall general comic book marketplace.

From what I can see and whenever I attend comic conventions or visit a LCS, slabbed books only make up a very tiny fractional portion of the real marketplace. The real trade in comics is in raw books, with slabbed books segregated to a very important, but highly publicized niche within the overall comic book marketplace.

If you go to an comic convention, everybody still uses the price guide to one extent or another. Even the major auction houses all seem to use it as a reference point in their auction listings, as I certainly don't see any reference to GPA prices. hm

As in "sold a slabbed 9.2 ASM (insert issue number here) for 2.5x OPG". As a price guide, it is almost irrelevant. As a reference guide, its still very good, but not necessary to purchase every year.

Couldn't disagree more.

But hey, what do I know? I'm only in comics retail and have been for 20 years.

:gossip: lighten up, Francis.

Do the OSPG prices ever go down?

G/VG/F used to be 10/20/40% of NM, then F dropped to 33% of NM. When the percentages slid down to 5/10/15%, the $400 I'd spent on a 5.5 Giant-Size X-Men 1 started looking like a very bad idea...

I'm old enough to remember when G/F were 33/66% of NM in the guide.

Wow, it looks like they have now expanded to 4 different cover variations for the regular editions of the guide this year. One with the GA Superman cover by Shuster, a second with the Captain America & Shield cover, a third with the Captain Action cover, and the final one with the Bloodshot & X-O cover as seen in the following link:

https://www.gemstonepub.com/

For those that are buying a guide this year, which cover suits your fancy the most?

Wow, it looks like they have now expanded to 4 different cover variations for the regular editions of the guide this year. One with the GA Superman cover by Shuster, a second with the Captain America & Shield cover, a third with the Captain Action cover, and the final one with the Bloodshot & X-O cover as seen in the following link:

For those that are buying a guide this year, which cover suits your fancy the most?

I will skip it again this year. There's more accurate pricing sources available to any monkey with internet access.

I will skip it again this year. There's more accurate pricing sources available to any monkey with internet access.

Where does one obtain one of these hot spot monkeys?

lol Literally did a spit take in my cubicle. Hoping coworkers didn't hear me.

Where does one obtain one of these hot spot monkeys?

lol Literally did a spit take in my cubicle. Hoping coworkers didn't hear me.

The sad thing is you work in a cubicle all your life. :sorry:

I'll probably buy a copy after I stop at Rose's and pick up a few VHS tapes for my VCR along with a new set of encyclopedias and last weeks newspaper for the stock market report.

In all seriousness though I rank the importance of the OSG right up there with the latest newsletter from Chuck at Mile High Comics in this day and age. The only way I would pick one up is if I ran out of toilet paper in the bathroom. My LCS owner still uses one, though he's also still waiting on this internet fad to blow over along with these new fangled smart phones.

I'll probably buy a copy after I stop at Rose's and pick up a few VHS tapes for my VCR along with a new set of encyclopedias and last weeks newspaper for the stock market report.

In all seriousness though I rank the importance of the OSG right up there with the latest newsletter from Chuck at Mile High Comics in this day and age. The only way I would pick one up is if I ran out of toilet paper in the bathroom. My LCS owner still uses one, though he's also still waiting on this internet fad to blow over along with these new fangled smart phones.

Pretty bold for a new guy. I like it! :cool:

I made arrangements to get last year's massive spiral bound copy from my LCS so I can do some research out of it, but have no intention of buying a new one. I've only done it twice ever.

TMNT cover for the BIg, Big Overstreet