• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the one comic that brought you back to collecting?

70 posts in this topic

Hadn't been to a shop for 7-8 years and I had recently read that Frank Miller was doing a sequel to Dark Knight Returns. There was a comic shop in the local mall so I started popping in there and asking when it was coming in.

I bought DKSR #1 the week it came out. I thought it was OK, but I knew I was going to get the whole story and that I'd be back into the store. Picked up #2 and decided to try something else out too. On the shops recommendation, I picked up Preist's Black Panther and, I think, 100 Bullets TPB. I liked BP alright and I thought Bullets was really good.

This happened a time or two more and I finally picked up a book one of the guys had been recommending since the first time I asked. It was Preacher. I was hooked and full-force back into the hobby.

So, depending on your perspective, its either Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 or Preacher Vol 1 trade.

I stopped buying comics in 1982.

I was completely out of comics for almost 6 years when, in 1988 wile I was visiting my brother in Hamilton, Ontario, I saw a copy of ASM 298 on the book shelf in a convenience store.

The artwork caught my eye so I bought it.

Well, I was hooked all over again...that McFarlane....

Briefly stopped for my high school years into Art School then around early 1990 saw a shop on the way home from a job interview and saw these books that intrigued me. Especially the covers to Animal Man and Swamp Thing. I had to know what the hell was going on in those covers!

Second.jpg

Spawn #1 got me in to comics, stopped when all of the Ultraverse hit the shelves and titles like WANTED, Supreme Powers, Chosen, Walking Dead, Locke & Key, Kingdom Come, Astro City and Y:TLM really sucked me back in to reading and collecting books again. The adult content was awesome. I remember reading Walking Dead during hurricane Ike when we were out of power for 2.5 weeks. I couldn't put it down and burned through the TPBs until I was all caught up...that took about 3 days.

I don't really read funny books any more, but still collect although that seems to be fading as well...

Tough call. I flirted with getting back in with a couple of GA purchases in the new millennium after selling off my collection in the early 90's, but if push comes to shove this is the book that got me (seriously) back into comics ...

be7816ef-a4b3-4d64-b7aa-feac7211bd15_zps33590d60.jpg

One doesn't buy early MM in nice grade unless you're into comics for the long haul! My 2c

For me it also wasn't a comic, but a movie...

When the first X-Men movie came out in 2000 I went to see it with my girlfriend at the time, and when we got home she was interested in seeing the handful of nicer Silver Age comics I acquired back when I collected (I quit in 1986 and briefly got back into collecting for a few months in 1990).

Suffice to say, after showing her this small stack of Silver Age comics I caught the bug again, and now collect mostly Silver Age books, as well as a few Bronze Age and EC books.

I did give new books a try from 2000-2004, but got burned out on having to hit the comic shop every week... lol

Now the only modern book I read is the Walking Dead, but I wait for the hardbacks that come out once a year.

Tough call. I flirted with getting back in with a couple of GA purchases in the new millennium after selling off my collection in the early 90's, but if push comes to shove this is the book that got me (seriously) back into comics ...

One doesn't buy early MM in nice grade unless you're into comics for the long haul! My 2c

(worship)

What a pristine copy of Marvel Mystery #2!!! Is it of a particular pedigree?

(worship)

What a pristine copy of Marvel Mystery #2!!! Is it of a particular pedigree?

Wow, that is impressive!