• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which of these comics is the king of the Copper age?

King of Copper  

612 members have voted

1. 1. King of Copper

153 posts in this topic

Let it begin. No one knows where it will end, one month to decide and all will be revealed!

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

Has beaten TMNT easily at the box office.

Sells more toys than TMNT.

Also came out before the Transformers cartoon show with Marvel being credited with creating most of Transformer`s iconic characters like G.I.JOE.

Transformers #1 started a billion dollar industry!

I am going to challenge the toys portion as well. Do you have any data to back up the claim?

TMNT comic hit shelves in May '84 and Transformers cartoon aired the same year in September '84. However, Transformers was an evolution/inspired by/of a Japanese program, so you could argue that the concept was older. The original TMNT cartoon didn't air until December '87 I believe, which would make Transformers available in mass media first, but not first to market. Which probably doesn't matter at all, but I find interesting. :shrug:

Here we go.

TOP 15 all-time list!

TOP 15 TOY SALES.

BTW

I`m a fan of both TMNT and Transformers.

The lack of respect for Transformers is puzzling, as the comic book came before the TV show.

Bob Budiansky and Jim Shooter had a huge hand in creating the Transformers Universe back in the 1980s.

If the 1977 Marvel Star Wars #1 can jump astronomically in price seemingly overnight, there is hope for Transformers #1 to eventually get a similar push. It is of underrated importance and deserves a spot among the top copper age books. The toy line itself only came out a few weeks on store shelves before the first issue hit the stands.

Let it begin. No one knows where it will end, one month to decide and all will be revealed!

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

Also came out before the Transformers cartoon show with Marvel being credited with creating most of Transformer`s iconic characters like G.I.JOE.

lol I get your point, but the Transformers are not an original comic book property. It's a book that was based on a toy line regardless of the technical date that it was released.

-J.

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

lol I get your point, but the Transformers are not an original comic book property. It's a book that was based on a toy line regardless of the technical date that it was released.

-J.

Marvel came up with the name and likeness of Optimus Prime. There was no toy to "go on" before the comic book guys got around to creating it. So was it based on a toy line or was the toy line based on the work the comic book guys created...

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

-J.

Marvel came up with the name and likeness of Optimus Prime. There was no toy to "go on" before the comic book guys got around to creating it. So was it based on a toy line or was the toy line based on the work the comic book guys created...

Transformers are definitely not an original comic book property. Just like Star wars is not (obviously). And Harley Quinn is not.

They are all comic books (and/or characters) that were adapted from other mediums. (thumbs u

-J,

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

-J.

No, the guys at Marvel came up with the name and backstory. The original Transformers in the comics and cartoon were all based on the toy designs. Just look at Ironhide and Ratchet in Transformers 1 if you need the most obvious proof.

Over time, new characters were added to the cartoon and comic based on the new toys.

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

-J.

No, the guys at Marvel came up with the name and backstory. The original Transformers in the comics and cartoon were all based on the toy designs. Just look at Ironhide and Ratchet in Transformers 1 if you need the most obvious proof.

Over time, new characters were added to the cartoon and comic based on the new toys.

This is 100% correct. Athough I do agree that, compared to other alternative media adaptation books like star wars 1 and BA 12, transformers 1 is under-valued.

-J.

In terms of the "market cap" for those three books, the "invisible hand" of the market currently says:

New Mutants #98 $2,629,800

Amazing Spider-man #300 $1,988,200

TMNT #1 $1,731,000

Reference: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8699927

"Voting with dollars" lol