• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which of these comics is the king of the Copper age?

King of Copper  

612 members have voted

1. 1. King of Copper

153 posts in this topic

Again, the above is solid reasoning.

This is why the market cap analogy is so strong.

If I want to make the most money possible selling an '80s comic book in a weekend, I'd rather have $3,000 worth of New Mutants 98 or ASM 300 than $3,000 of TMNT 1.

Higher demand is a good proxy for higher liquidity.

And for comic dealers, who depend on actual demand to convert comics into actual money, that matters more. Doesn't matter if you have 3 copies of TMNT 1 at a show if you don't sell any of them or if no one asks about them.

Doesn't mean it's a permanent thing, or even *should be* right -- there was a brief moment in the early '90s when a short box of pre-Unity Valiant outsold a wall of prime Silver Age Marvels.

But if you were a dealer that year, the fact is the Valiants were more valuable to you because they translated to cash a heck of a lot faster than the SA wall books.

Ditto, two years ago many dealers were willing to trade prime Silver Age for early Walking Dead books because those modern zombie books could be sold much faster.

This all goes back to page one and the definition of the word "King" -- by value, _of course_ TMNT 1 wins out. But it's not even close to a consensus for "King" of the age.

If I want to make the most money possible selling an '80s comic book in a weekend, I'd rather have $3,000 worth of New Mutants 98 or ASM 300 than $3,000 of TMNT 1.

And for comic dealers, who depend on actual demand to convert comics into actual money, that matters more. Doesn't matter if you have 3 copies of TMNT 1 at a show if you don't sell any of them or if no one asks about them.

Doesn't mean it's a permanent thing, or even *should be* right -- there was a brief moment in the early '90s when a short box of pre-Unity Valiant outsold a wall of prime Silver Age Marvels.

But if you were a dealer that year, the fact is the Valiants were more valuable to you because they translated to cash a heck of a lot faster than the SA wall books.

Ditto, two years ago many dealers were willing to trade prime Silver Age for early Walking Dead books because those modern zombie books could be sold much faster.

This all goes back to page one and the definition of the word "King" -- by value, _of course_ TMNT 1 wins out. But it's not even close to a consensus for "King" of the age.

Bingo.

Bingo.

I'm sorry but defaulting to a POV on a contrived argument based on assumed "liquidity" isn't exactly a "bingo."

The purpose shouldn't just be about defining which book is the easiest for a dealer to sell. Because if that is the case ASM 300 easily defeats AF 15. Are we going to seriously argue that ASM 300 is superior to AF 15 in any way?

If you want to go down a rabbit hole on defining the context of "king" and a common definition, then fine. However, with the ambiguous usage, the boards voted TMNT 1 by a landslide.

You want a more specific definition and parameters then go for it, but this expounded nonsense doesn't disprove the poll, it just argues based on a flawed analysis that ASM 300 is more liquid. I'm sorry, but speaking as a collector - who cares?

:foryou:

Bingo.

+2

$3,000 worth of ASM #300 or NM #98 in the long run will be more profitable than one TMNT #1.

More copies to sell means more money long-term.

Think of Apple doing a stock split.

King of Copper

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 - 117 58%

New Mutants 98 - 32 16%

Amazing Spider-Man 300 - 54 27%

TMNT 1 had more than double ASM 300

TMNT 1 had more than triple NM 98

TMNT 1 represented over 50% of the total vote

Glad the dealers would rather have 10 copies of ASM 300 over 1 copy of TMNT 1, but it just isn't about their money. They would likely rather have 30 copies of ASM 300 over 1 copy of AF 15 or 1 copy of Hulk 1, but that doesn't mean anything either.

Why does everything need to boil down to money and the dealer POV on here?

King of Copper

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 - 117 58%

New Mutants 98 - 32 16%

Amazing Spider-Man 300 - 54 27%

TMNT 1 had more than double ASM 300

TMNT 1 had more than triple NM 98

TMNT 1 represented over 50% of the total vote

Glad the dealers would rather have 10 copies of ASM 300 over 1 copy of TMNT 1, but it just isn't about their money. They would likely rather have 30 copies of ASM 300 over 1 copy of AF 15 or 1 copy of Hulk 1, but that doesn't mean anything either.

Why does everything need to boil down to money and the dealer POV on here?

With over 200 votes, there's a very good chance that a whole bunch of non-dealers were voting.

As a collector, would you be the most "proud" to own ASM #300, NM #98, or a first printing of TMNT #1?

That's what the vote seems to be answering.

Dealers want inventory in quantity, but collectors want pride-in-ownership and grail success stories.

The purpose shouldn't just be about defining which book is the easiest for a dealer to sell. Because if that is the case ASM 300 easily defeats AF 15. Are we going to seriously argue that ASM 300 is superior to AF 15 in any way?

It's not about which is easier to sell. It's about which is most requested.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole on defining the context of "king" and a common definition, then fine. However, with the ambiguous usage, the boards voted TMNT 1 by a landslide.

It's not a rabbit hole. For a poll to be considered accurate the actual terms of the poll need to be clarified beforehand.

King in what terms?

Since the book does not exhibit actual 'rule' over the others the terms are very important. Without clarification everyone is just guessing at what it means.

King in terms of over all value? TMNT wins - especially on a chat forum that seems to revolve around dollars and cents, which is why this poll was slanted for TMNT to win.

King in terms of popularity? TMNT quickly moves out of 1st place. The other two books get asked about multiple times over TMNT.

You want a more specific definition and parameters then go for it, but this expounded nonsense doesn't disprove the poll, it just argues based on a flawed analysis that ASM 300 is more liquid. I'm sorry, but speaking as a collector - who cares?

The poll is ambiguous at best.

With over 200 votes, there's a very good chance that a whole bunch of non-dealers were voting.

A lot of non-dealers who see $ when you say TMNT #1.

ST #110, Showcase #4 and BB #28 were boat anchor books until they became really valuable. Now they are 'awesome' books.

Don't get me wrong, I love comics of all kinds and always respected all those books but dollars certainly make them look more attractive in this day and age.

ST #110, Showcase #4 and BB #28 were boat anchor books until they became really valuable. Now they are 'awesome' books.

Don't get me wrong, I love comics of all kinds and always respected all those books but dollars certainly make them look more attractive in this day and age.

There is no "better book" when it comes to TMNT, though.

The "King" book from each age is a top book for its franchise.

ASM #300 isn't the best Spider-man book... it's about 50th for Spider-man.

It's the best Venom book, but what is Venom? Nowhere near the level of Spidey.

NM #98 is the best Deadpool book... but what is Deadpool?

A mutant/experiment that came along 30 years after X-Men #1.

X-Men #1 is the best mutant book.

Hulk #181 is a better mutant book than NM #98.

NM #98 isn't the "best" for a franchise.

TMNT #1 is the best for the franchise. There's nothing better.

It isn't a cheap(er) substitute for something better from another era.

That's the difference to me.

When you have ASM #300, you don't have the best Spidey book. That's AF #15.

When you have NM #98, you don't have the best mutant book. That's X-Men #1, Hulk #181.

When you have a first printing of TMNT #1, you aren't settling for a runner-up... you win.

King in terms of over all value? TMNT wins - especially on a chat forum that seems to revolve around dollars and cents, which is why this poll was slanted for TMNT to win.

People don't vote on value in polls. Value is (relatively) objective.

TMNT 1 is the Copper Age book.

People don't vote on value in polls.

I disagree. The average person has a hard time being objective when it's a question of money.

The more expensive a book is, the more 'awesome' it becomes. lol

But based on what?

I have multiples of people ask me for an ASM #300 or a NM #98 over a TMNT #1. (shrug)

I disagree. The average person has a hard time being objective when it's a question of money.

But based on what?

I have multiples of people ask me for an ASM #300 or a NM #98 over a TMNT #1. (shrug)

Did you ignore my answer that quoted you, just to question Lazyboy's?

There is no "better book" when it comes to TMNT, though.

The "King" book from each age is a top book for its franchise.

ASM #300 isn't the best Spider-man book... it's about 50th for Spider-man.

It's the best Venom book, but what is Venom? Nowhere near the level of Spidey.

NM #98 is the best Deadpool book... but what is Deadpool?

A mutant/experiment that came along 30 years after X-Men #1.

X-Men #1 is the best mutant book.

Hulk #181 is a better mutant book than NM #98.

NM #98 isn't the "best" for a franchise.

TMNT #1 is the best for the franchise. There's nothing better.

It isn't a cheap(er) substitute for something better from another era.

That's the difference to me.

When you have ASM #300, you don't have the best Spidey book. That's AF #15.

When you have NM #98, you don't have the best mutant book. That's X-Men #1, Hulk #181.

When you have a first printing of TMNT #1, you aren't settling for a runner-up... you win.

Let's put it another way...

ASM #300 and NM #98 are pawns.

There are lots of them and they move all over the board.

They're usually the first pieces that get moved around.

Of course they're popular and people ask about them.

How can you win the game if you don't even have any pawns?

TMNT #1 is the King.

You finally take it home... you win.

Convention buyers are playing with those pawn books.

They aren't winning yet... they're just moving things around.

They might win some day.

People who already own the Kings aren't standing at a booth asking for more pawns.

The answer is going to be different depending on who you talk to.i personally said in my opinion its asm 300 or nm98.i could care less a bout a turtle book.most of my comic book friends same thing, they would jump to buy a nm98 or asm 300 but not a tmnt book especially at those prices..i look at the turtles as a silly kid thing.but to someone else TMNT is the bomb.more power to ya. Again depends on who you talk to.

The answer is going to be different depending on who you talk to.i personally said in my opinion its asm 300 or nm98.i could care less a bout a turtle book.most of my comic book friends same thing, they would jump to buy a nm98 or asm 300 but not a tmnt book especially at those prices..i look at the turtles as a silly kid thing.but to someone else TMNT is the bomb.more power to ya. Again depends on who you talk to.

Do you even remotely believe you've purchased the best Spider-man book or the best mutant book if you buy ASM300 or NM98?

We're talking about the "king"... not the "second best thing because I can't actually afford the king for my favorite title".

Only the most brainless mor... ohhhhh.

But based on what?

I'm sure you also have many more people ask about ASM 300 or NM 98 over AF 15, Action 1, Tec 27, GSX 1 and maybe even Hulk 181. They're more available and more affordable to more people while still being very popular.

Do you even remotely believe you've purchased the best Spider-man book or the best mutant book if you buy ASM300 or NM98?

We're talking about the "king"... not the "second best thing because I can't actually afford the king for my favorite title".

You are 110% right!

Is NM 98 a grail book?

Is ASM 300?

When " collectors" think of grails TMNT #1 is right up there with the S.A. big dogs.