• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This why we can't have nice things.

80 posts in this topic

No one is disagreeing with his reasoning for putting it up. All good intentions and good reasons.

Doesn't diminish the fact that announcements are not allowed.

Let the rule slide once and then next will be an announcement saying that there is a new probation list, or rules or this or that. Sure, all for the benefit of the forum AND so more people would see it.

Does it make it right, no.

Will it lead to others using it for other things, yes.

Are Gold and Silver comics being sold in the VCC yes. So maybe sliding in a simple rule change allowing the VCC to have a sticky thread or saying that the VCC will be the only exception would be appropriate.

Should I be in bed, yes.

Should I not have bothered, probably not :cry:

And this is why we can't have nice things.

You all, can, frankly, go pound sand.

I put the announcement for the VCC - which is done for the benefit of the forum - in all the main areas so more people would see it. There was no reason other than that.

I truly enjoy spending hours of my life moderating something because I think I'm helping the community and then getting mess for it.

do it yourself.

I understand your frustration and I do believe your intentions were just.

However a rule was bent/broker and the ones voicing their opinions on that fact are right. It's conceivable others will follow in your footsteps and make announcements where they shouldn't.

I think it's a great idea to sticky the VCC in all the sales threads, wouldn't that solve this issue?

It would be visible to all who don't visit the announcement thread and wouldn't bend/break any rules.

There's common ground here and a solution.

That being said I for one would have missed the VCC if you wouldn't have posted in the other threads so thank you for bending the rules a bit :foryou:

I'm sure lots of people appreciate it. However it doesn't diminish the fact that there is a place for announcements and if other people were to try and announce something it would get deleted.

Therein lies the age old problem on here that is appears some are priviledged.

To stay somewhat within the rules but not leave the door open, why not create a sticky thread on this sub-forum just for VCC, accessible by just the organizers. Every time there is one coming then bump it. Otherwise it appears that some people can do what they want and people are going to get upset.

Starting a thread in Gold/Silver/Bronze reminding people that a community event containing many of those same books for sale seems pretty on topic to me.

And to call Dan privileged is pretty harsh. I don't think the mods would have a problem if it was any other board member who started this thread and I don't believe Dan has exercised any special rights in starting this thread.

Dan isn't doing this for personal gain but rather to foster good will and community on the boards.

Who's disputing the VCC?

And as I've mentioned I applaud Donut for his efforts on it. And Sharon and others for the donation threads and then those that spend their time moderating on the probation threads. But everything has a place and rules were made for a reason.

I agree it's for the benefit of the forum. So let's change the rules a bit for the VCC post, that way it's not breaking them.

+1

+ 1,000

Dan

I put the announcement for the VCC - which is done for the benefit of the forum - in all the main areas so more people would see it. There was no reason other than that.

I truly enjoy spending hours of my life moderating something because I think I'm helping the community and then getting mess for it.

do it yourself.

I think the button humpers and all of you who are "oh well the spirit of it was ok but you still broke the rules" need to get yourselves a bag of cash and visit a house of ill repute. Pick your battles. This was not one of the ones you should have picked. Bunch of whiny little :censored:

do it yourself.

I think it's a great idea to sticky the VCC in all the sales threads, wouldn't that solve this issue?

It would be visible to all who don't visit the announcement thread and wouldn't bend/break any rules.

I agree with this 100% (thumbs u

I understand both sides of the argument, but personally I am glad I saw it here as I probably would not have in the announcement thread.

do it yourself.

oh dear :fear:

The VCC is for the community. It's a major event here. It's not for the benefit of one person, but brings together many sellers and buyers to one place. It is a huge effort in organizing and running that I would never want to take on so I applaud FlyingDonut, sckao and the other involved in organizing it. :applause:

I view the Boards via "Watched Forums" and "Watched Topics" so when all of the announcements were made there was a list running down the page with the same header. At first my reaction was - another VCC! :banana: Then I saw all of the posts and thought :eek: some people are going to be butthurt.

Some members here ONLY go in the GA forum, or SA forum, etc. Some hang out in Comics General. Still others in the sales subroums. FlyingDonut made sure to include everyone.

This talk of breaking rules and it shouldn't be ok for some and not others - :eyeroll: The VCC is meant to include EVERYONE. Who cares if for a few days there are multiple threads in multiple forums. Let it go.

Keep doing what you do Donut! :headbang:

I'm just guessing, this is what Dan had been posting...I'm not sure what happened, but ...here

Fast-Fifty-Number-31.jpg

Please join June 20-21 in the VCC hall for VCC 31!

Thread will go up next Friday night (June 19) at 11 PM EDT!

I would never see it in the announcement area, I never go there.

It's not like Donut was doing it for his own gains, he was doing it for the whole community and there have been many times I've missed it by not knowing it was on.

So thank you Donut for trying your best to give everyone heads up of the dates!

Doesn't diminish the fact that announcements are not allowed.

Let the rule slide once and then next will be an announcement saying that there is a new probation list, or rules or this or that. Sure, all for the benefit of the forum AND so more people would see it.

Does it make it right, no.

Will it lead to others using it for other things, yes.

I don't see this as a slippery slope. I think allowing this once or twice a year (preferably as a sticky) helps us all as both buyers and sellers. I wish it was done in past VCCs where i was a seller as there were a few people who mentioned they did not know about it.

FlyingDonut had no personal gain in this, he did it as a benefit to the members here ...I just want to thank him for his efforts, it is appreciated.

Awesome, so it sounds like everyone agrees on almost everything:

Dan (and others) do an excellent job giving his time for the VCC, everyone appreciates it. The announcement was made with no personal gain, just for forum benefit.

And finally allow the announcement of the VCC.

Now if we can just get the rules changed to allow it should be all set. :wishluck:

Hope the title gets changed back to VCC so all these bumps aren't for naught.