• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another AF15 scam?

65 posts in this topic

So on Etsy this seller has listed an Amazing Fantasy 14 CGC 2.5 with a Serial # 0916828001 for $2950.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/236940680/amazing-fantasy-15-cgc-25-rare-blue?ref=shop_home_active_1

First, GPA puts this book last sold @ $10,158.

Also this book was sold on June 24, 2012 for $5,378

Seller is selling for approx $7k less. Etsy charges a 3% fee.

Seller stated he accepts paypal.

Here are the pictures he sent me when I asked a phone picture of the book and a note written with his seller name and date.

icm_fullxfull.62337924_7i60a4zzu1440kskgcsc.jpg

icm_fullxfull.62293615_psenq74e80g84kooks08.jpg

So who owns this book?

If it's a scam (not saying it is or isn't), here's where the pictures were likely taken from:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-gd-25-off-white-pages/a/121226-13026.s#84708470686

Note that the color in the hologram exactly matches those pictures. Also note that the color in the hologram doesn't change between pictures, even though the camera angle did change some.

I purchased it before reading all this. But after comparing the pics from all of these links you all provided, it appears they all match.

If I don't get the comic I will do a charge back via PayPal anyway.

If I do get it, I will put good scans up here for you all to review.

Thanks for all the info, albeit I saw it about 10 minutes after purchase lol

I purchased it before reading all this. But after comparing the pics from all of these links you all provided, it appears they all match.

???

What did you do? Google AF15 and Etsy and found this thread?

This is why there will always be scams - too many believe in "deals too godo to be true! so buy it!"

If someone goes out of there way to get a book graded (the likes of AF15) they know how much it goes for.. so sad how many fall for these scams over and over again :tonofbricks:

Yes I googled ETSY and AF15 and found this thread.

I think oftentimes things happen to collectibles like this that would make them change hands at lower rates than originally paid.

If the comic has been recorded as being sold 3 times now since 2012 its obviously not in a collectors hands.

Tough economy, tough times, people get rid of things they don't need.

Im hoping its that kind of situation.

I did compare all three sets of photos and it looks like they all have the same flaws and are the same comic. Just varying levels of camera quality.

And if it does turn out to be fraud or scam both paypal and my bank card will be able to file a chargeback for fraud.

If/Whenit arrives I can have it looked at by a professional, and if for some reason it turns out to be a forgery I will post that data here. But there is no reason to suspect it is a forgery as of now.

Did you notice the pic you could not see the carpet behind the clear slab?

I think its a printout of a slab

Compare to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Aug-1962-Marvel-CGC-3-5-/141689612068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fd5be724

Hard times is one thing asking way less as a first try makes no sense

I think its on a tablecloth that isn't 100% flat. The guy taking the picture is standing on top, you can see his shadow. So that means there is either an overhead light, or a flash was used. That explains why the coloring is a bit light and why the hologram is shiny, and the overall graininess to the picture. Also could explain the bowing of the frame that was mentioned earlier......

Either way, Im hopeful it turns out OK. Been trying to afford one of these for many many years... Will let you know what happens. Thanks to everyone for the help and support here.

You should absolutely be able to see the tablecloth through the slab

If a flash was used there should be reflections off plastic

If it seems too good to be true it is never true

ever

Yep (to no reflection on the plastic). Was the entire slab buffed uniformly with #000 steel wool? And no color shift on the CGC hologram between photos. Looks identical in both photos (flat), and no detectible obscured visibility from a flash or light source. So, unless the tablecloth has bioluminescence, I don't buy that it's real what so ever.

*EDIT** I just restated what Cousin Itt said on page 1. Sorry. I read page 1, but for some reason that post didn't register, or I skipped it somehow.

-Terry