• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Boys

23 posts in this topic

Hi all, I just finished reading Ennis and Dillon's PREACHER and absolutely LOVED IT!!! I felt for the characters as they evolved from issue to issue and the story kept me wanting more right up to the end. I am actually a bit bummed I am finished with it.

I did a little research online about Garth Ennis and have read some positive reviews about his series THE BOYS. I am hoping to get some opinions from you folks that have read it here on the boards.

Is it a good read? Comparable to PREACHER? Is it collected in short TPB's or do they publish omnibus style books?

I am also a big fan of Ennis' on THE PUNISHER. Though, I still have some more of that run to buy and read. I hope Seth Rogan does a good job on THE PREACHER for AMC. Finger's crossed.

So, tell me what you think of THE BOY's!!!

The Boys was at the height of Ennis' "waging war on superhero comics" phase. I really enjoyed it for what it was. I didn't finish it because I stopped reading all comics about the time issue 20-something came out, but it was quite good/entertaining/irreverent for those first 20-something issues. It was a different feel than Preacher. More like the slightly-goofy Marvel Knights Punisher feeling than the serious-ish Marvel MAX Punisher.

The Boys is really over-the-top, but at the same time hilarious and fun. I remember feeling a little down when they were coming out because it was never as good as Preacher (however there are some really classic issues), and I never felt as emotionally invested in the characters in The Boys, but comparing the Boys to Preacher is like comparing "Eyes Wide Shut" to "A Space Odyssey" for Stanley Kubrick. That first big one is always difficult to compete with and impossible to compare.

Jay

The Boys is really over-the-top, but at the same time hilarious and fun. I remember feeling a little down when they were coming out because it was never as good as Preacher (however there are some really classic issues), and I never felt as emotionally invested in the characters in The Boys, but comparing the Boys to Preacher is like comparing "Eyes Wide Shut" to "A Space Odyssey" for Stanley Kubrick. That first big one is always difficult to compete with and impossible to compare.

Jay

Ennis' run on HELLBLAZER is definitely more comparable to PREACHER :golfclap:

Agree with the above.

I would say though, that the Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker miniseries that deals with one of the main characters' back story is very different from the rest of the series. Much more series and heartfelt, with a lot of the military stuff that Ennis so obviously loves in it. More of a Preacher feel to it.

Basically, Preacher is loads better, but The Boys is good.

The Boy's was all about two characters and the rest were never fully fleshed out. I think it could have been really epic but ended up being an excuse to poke fun at super heroes and comic tropes.

That said the art and some storylines are really good. Like what happened to the poor little super heroes in that plane.................

The Boys is no Preacher

I think Hitman is more comparable as a truly fleshed out character study over 60 issues.

I got bored silly with The Boys after about 20 issues or so, whereas Preacher and Hitman never lost me for a second.

The worst thing he did was state that the Boys will Out-Preacher the Preacher book.

He set the bar so high that it was destined to be less successful. Didn't help that he had to change publishers so early in the series too.

Taking Preacher out of the discussion, it was a great series.

Only complaint is that I thought he tried to make things nasty just for shock value. But he's done that tons in the past.

Patrick

Loved it!

One of my favourite reads - insane!

I think it is sometimes taken too seriously, when it's really just a massive -take.

Highly recommended to anyone who has not read it.

This cost about $30 and it will stay in my collection for ever.

1The%20Boys%201%209.8_zps2d5cx7hc.jpg

Awesome folks, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I think I will give it a go, sounds like I will have to check out Hitman too. I have never heard of that series.

Now, which one to start first?? hm

Do yourself a favor and try Ennis' Hitman and Hellblazer run. The overall message of friendship throughout Hitman comes off much better than in Preacher (and without some of the over the top gross out stuff). Here is a great review of the series:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/02/04/comics-you-should-own-hitman/