• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the worst thing you've ever done to a comic by accident?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif

I'm kinda of embarrased (and still in shock 893censored-thumb.gif), but i dropped a raw solid NM- Avengers #4 this weekend and made a VF or VF- out of it. 893whatthe.gif893censored-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif I was talking to my Daughter while handling the book and should not have been handling the book at the time, but such is life.....The cover was WHITE and the book had 2 or 3 tiny spine stress...perfect otherwise.

In my early collecting days I had an Incredible Hulk #1 that today would have graded a solid 6.0 if i hadnt monkeyed with it. It had a slight wave to the book ( it didnt lie flat but the wave was extremely minor ) and some very minor color breaking stress marks on the spine. What made the book so nice was that it had absolutely no chipping on it which I know is less common. Without the wave I think it was solid 7.0 material.

Here is what I did:

1. took a colored marker and filled in the spine stresses to make it look better

2. took the book to where I worked as a part time picture framer and put the book into the drymount heat press. Unfortunately I didnt do it as carefully as I should have and put a great big fold in the book at the bottom 3rd of the book!

I think that ranks higher than falling asleep on my FF #12.

:P

If only I could have told that teenager to take care of his comics!

Artboy99

Can you say Tape Pull = Cover skin tear. I won't mention the book, still too painful. Yes FBB I know Christo_pull_hair.gif36_1_42.gif Thank you may I have another. I was transfering it to Mylar in the early 90s.......... tonofbricks.gif

Same here. I did it to a FF 12 on the front cover and it received a 5.0 from CGC rather than prob a 6.0. I left literallly hundreds on the table. makepoint.gif

Botched tape removal attempt. Amazing Adventures #1. no, not the Bronze Age one. The OTHER one. It was a long time ago. It had tape on it and I tried to remove it. I learned the hard way that it's best to leave it on there. And looking back, I have no idea WHY I tried to remove it. I have other books with tape and didn't try to remove them. confused-smiley-013.gif

Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. Ah well. Live and learn.

Botched tape removal attempt. Amazing Adventures #1. no, not the Bronze Age one. The OTHER one. It was a long time ago. It had tape on it and I tried to remove it. I learned the hard way that it's best to leave it on there. And looking back, I have no idea WHY I tried to remove it. I have other books with tape and didn't try to remove them. confused-smiley-013.gif

Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. Ah well. Live and learn.

Ya Tape removal definitely falls under the category of professionals attempt only. Please more stories to lessen my sob story. That Spidey 50 was a 9.0 cadidate prior to the TP.

Can't remember the specific book, but it was a late Silver ASM. While transfering it out of the bag/board I bought it in years ago and into a brand new bag/board, I placed the book on the bed. Girlfriend's cat promptly jumped up onto the bed, landing on the comic. VF+ ====> VG, just like that.

I haven't done damage to one of my comics myself. Here's as close as I come...

The Summer of '75.

I lent my best friend my brand new copy of Richie Rich Gold & Silver #1.

The next day I accidently broke his Green Ghost game. He got back at me by ripping the Richie Rich into tiny pieces and depositing them in my mailbox.

A few weeks ago, a 9.8 copy sold on eBay for over $500.

Should I bill him?

The Summer of '75.

The next day I accidently broke his Green Ghost game. He got back at me by ripping the Richie Rich into tiny pieces and depositing them in my mailbox.

Should I bill him?

Depends. What does a "Green Ghost" game go for nowadays? poke2.gif

In 8th grade I took the new "X-Men/Teen Titans" to school with me, carrying it along with my books in a plastic grocery bag. Riding my bike home, it I was letting the bag swing at my side. Taking a curve, the bag leaned into my spokes and it got "lightly" shredded.

Also in 8th grade, I took my X-Men #135 to school so a friend could read it. He showed it to another friend. Then when the first friend tried to take it back, the second friend wouldn't let go. A tug-o-war ensued, and it got ripped down the cover and the first couple pages. I was compensated for it ($5) but I still haven't replaced it. It'd cost a bit more now.

The Summer of '75.

Should I bill him?

Depends. What does a "Green Ghost" game go for nowadays? poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif