• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the worst thing you've ever done to a comic by accident?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

I haven't done damage to one of my comics myself. Here's as close as I come...

The Summer of '75.

I lent my best friend my brand new copy of Richie Rich Gold & Silver #1.

The next day I accidently broke his Green Ghost game. He got back at me by ripping the Richie Rich into tiny pieces and depositing them in my mailbox.

A few weeks ago, a 9.8 copy sold on eBay for over $500.

Should I bill him?

Yes, minus the value of the Green Ghost game today.

I haven't done damage to one of my comics myself. Here's as close as I come...

The Summer of '75.

I lent my best friend my brand new copy of Richie Rich Gold & Silver #1.

The next day I accidently broke his Green Ghost game. He got back at me by ripping the Richie Rich into tiny pieces and depositing them in my mailbox.

A few weeks ago, a 9.8 copy sold on eBay for over $500.

Should I bill him?

Depends. What does a "Green Ghost" game go for nowadays? poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like about $50-$60 on eBay. And to be honest, if the comic had survived, it would have been VG at best by now, and worth maybe a buck. So...

sorry.gif

Just last evening, I was paging through a VG+ copy of BATMAN #45, and when I carefully(I thought) put it back in the Mylar, the book ripped very slightly at the top of the cover. It's a tiny rip, hardly noticable, but I know it's there. frustrated.gif

Can you say Tape Pull = Cover skin tear. I won't mention the book, still too painful. Yes FBB I know Christo_pull_hair.gif36_1_42.gif Thank you may I have another. I was transfering it to Mylar in the early 90s.......... tonofbricks.gif

Hey, I learned the same lesson the exact same way. Never again.

Damaged a few of my bronze books cleaning them with wonderbread. Put a 2" color breaking crease on the back of my GL 76 and a 1/2" tear on the back of my Ghosts 1. Oh well, at least the front covers look slightly better after the cleaning. confused-smiley-013.gif

After finally finding a NM copy of Fantastic Four Annual #12 (would have been a 9.6 at least) in 1991, I will never forget lazily inserting an acid free backing board into the mylar with the book already in it. I sliced open the back cover half way down the book. Thankfully it happened to be THAT book because the next book on the stack of books to be 're-mylared' and 're-boarded' was a VG/Fine copy of House of Mystery #1. To this day, I always look at that as a significant learning event (SLE) in terms of 'comic care.'

My wife went to the Post Office and picked up a package for me. The package contained a Batman 1. Well, she had our then 8-month old son with her. She put the package on top of the car, secured the little fellow in his car seat, and then took off with the package on the car. When she got home I asked her where the package was. She went white as a ghost, and so did I. She flew back to the Post Office, and on the way saw a package sitting in the middle of a busy road. She got it and it turned out it was the Batman 1. The outer box was shredded, and the inner box was run over a few times, but amazingly, the book itself was fine.

Needless to say I go pick up my own packages now...

My wife went to the Post Office and picked up a package for me. The package contained a Batman 1. Well, she had our then 8-month old son with her. She put the package on top of the car, secured the little fellow in his car seat, and then took off with the package on the car. When she got home I asked her where the package was. She went white as a ghost, and so did I. She flew back to the Post Office, and on the way saw a package sitting in the middle of a busy road. She got it and it turned out it was the Batman 1. The outer box was shredded, and the inner box was run over a few times, but amazingly, the book itself was fine.

Needless to say I go pick up my own packages now...

foreheadslap.gif I think we have a winner.

I can't tell you what I have done to a comic that was real bad but I can certainly tell you what I think some of these eBay misfit sellers have done to comics they have sent to me.... I think some of them sat on them, swatted frikken' flies with them, then spat on them and frikken' stuffed the pieces of [#@$%!!!] in a flimsy [#@$%!!!] mail flyer and then busted my [#@$%!!!] when I complained sayin' that I don't know how to grade!

Steve Fishler was in my office looking at a pile of Windy City # 1's. I had the WDC&S # 1 in my hands and was explaining how "fresh and supple it is". I then let it drop from my hand a few inches from the top of my desk to let it gently flop on my desktop to show the "suppleness" of the book. It was not in a bag with a board.

Instead of plopping gently on my desk, somehow the book just glides right off my desk - like it was floating on air. We watched in horror as it landed on the top of the spine. It left a noticeable ding at the top of the spine. My guess is it went from 9.4 to 8.0/8.5.

Steve simply said, "Why did you do that?"

I stuttered and stammered and almost got phyically ill. I had no reply. To this date I've never seen anything happen like that again.

Thank God, Steve bought it anyway. foreheadslap.gif

I've never told this story before because the action was very difficult to rationalize and I was so embarrassed. But heck, after nearly 20 years, I can almost laugh about it now.

--Gary