• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books

143 posts in this topic

With high grade raws, I use GPA as a BASIS for pricing.

If I have a raw book, which I am damn sure would fetch a CGC 9.8, I would post it up at 50-60% of slabbed 9.8 GPA figures.

To ask 100% of GPA for a unslabbed book, not matter how dead on of a 9.8 candidate it is, is absurd.

hm

You don't think it is more absurd to give away 40-50% of potential value...?

If the book is $1,000 in 9.8, and you know beyond any shadow of a doubt it's a 9.8, would you price it at $500-$600?

If so, please send me your selling list of 9.8s, and what kind of grade guarantee you offer.

:popcorn:

Sounds to me we are all agreeing that NM 9.6 with a likely 9.8 is not $800, but it is not $500 either.

If I have a raw book, which I am damn sure would fetch a CGC 9.8, I would post it up at 50-60% of slabbed 9.8 GPA figures.

To ask 100% of GPA for a unslabbed book, not matter how dead on of a 9.8 candidate it is, is absurd.

hm

If the book is $1,000 in 9.8, and you know beyond any shadow of a doubt it's a 9.8, would you price it at $500-$600?

If so, please send me your selling list of 9.8s, and what kind of grade guarantee you offer.

I think both are fairly absurd, actually.I was also speaking from a buying perspective, as in I would be willing to pay 50-60% of GPA for dead on raw 9.8 or 9.6 candidates.....

You don't say....?

hm

I am not about to try to sell a 9.8 spot on candidate of a book like Preacher # 1, BA 12, NM 98 at 50-60% of GPA.

Gotcha. There were qualifications you didn't mention in your original post.

:)

You can price your books at any price you want, as they are your books to sell. If you are pricing raw books using GPA prices and stating that, you are - at best - being disingenuous to your buyer. GPA tracks sales of certified graded books. I don't care if your grading is "just as good as CGC's" or if you "know what a 9.8 is". GPA is tracking books encased in plastic cases. If you aren't selling books encased in plastic cases, the data point you are using is simply wrong.

You can price your books at any price you want, as they are your books to sell. If you are pricing raw books using GPA prices and stating that, you are - at best - being disingenuous to your buyer. GPA tracks sales of certified graded books. I don't care if your grading is "just as good as CGC's" or if you "know what a 9.8 is". GPA is tracking books encased in plastic cases. If you aren't selling books encased in plastic cases, the data point you are using is simply wrong.

:P

I think you are all missing something

At a certain price point the CGC plastic case is irrelevant

grading by who ever is subjective so a expensive book in or out of the case is worth the same depending on if you trust seller as being as good at grading as CGC

So if you don't trust the quality of the sellers grading buy CGC right ?

What is it you read so often on here ? ( don't buy the grade buy the book)

So

*Re: Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books* = sure why not if you trust the seller as much as you trust CGC

edited for example

----------------------

If theses guys ever get anything I need (fingers crossed) I would buy from them sight unseen

http://www.comicanadirect.com/#content=home

its all about trust

I think you are all missing something

At a certain price point the CGC plastic case is irrelevant

grading by who ever is subjective so a expensive book in or out of the case is worth the same depending on if you trust seller as being as good at grading as CGC

So if you don't trust the quality of the sellers grading buy CGC right ?

What is it you read so often on here ? ( don't buy the grade buy the book)

So

*Re: Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books* = sure why not if you trust the seller as much as you trust CGC

edited for example

----------------------

If theses guys ever get anything I need (fingers crossed) I would buy from them sight unseen

http://www.comicanadirect.com/#content=home

its all about trust

...surely, the point is that cgc graded books command a premium over and above the raw value. Therefore, a raw book (in theory) can never be valued as high as the equivalent graded book. Otherwise there's no point in having cgc graded books - or am I missing something?

Someone needs to give Harvey an award for his speedy and hysterical posts.

Even when if its not fitting that Star Trek one is always a treat lol

he got an award last year for it "forumite of the year" :shrug:

p.s.

get a room (you two) :sumo:

FlyingDonut: Setting the record straight since 08/02/02. :applause:

I don't like it either but it doesn't bother me as I will just wait and buy a graded copy instead. I'm in the camp, that it is your book and you can ask whatever you want for it. I will simply not pay the price is all and move on.

I probably won't ever buy from that seller again since IMHYWO you are kind of trying

to rip me off a little bit.

I don't like it either but it doesn't bother me as I will just wait and buy a graded copy instead. I'm in the camp, that it is your book and you can ask whatever you want for it. I will simply not pay the price is all and move on.

I probably won't ever buy from that seller again since IMHYWO you are kind of trying

to rip me off a little bit.

hm i feel that way when i see a thread w/ a 70% off sale

hm

I think both are fairly absurd, actually.I was also speaking from a buying perspective, as in I would be willing to pay 50-60% of GPA for dead on raw 9.8 or 9.6 candidates.....

I'll happily pay 50-60% of GPA for a copy of spot on 9.6 raws of Batman Adventures 12, for instance.Or New Mutants 98.Likewise, I'd pay 50-60% of GPA for a dead on 9.8 candidate of BA 12 or NM 98.I think pretty much anyone on this board would pay those figures.

As far as selling raw 9.6 to 9.8 candidates......I would only do this with books that have GPA averages of up to $150 in 9.8.

In other words, books that are likely not worth paying grading/fast pass/shipping fees on....mostly this applies to "hot" books which may not retain a higher value in a couple months.

Case in point:

Iron Man 304 and 305.....which I would happy to sell at 50% of GPA for spot on 9.8 candidates.They have dropped considerably in 9.8, since the movie hype died down and while I doubt they will drop all that much further, I have plenty of other books which take priority on having graded.

I am not about to try to sell a 9.8 spot on candidate of a book like Preacher # 1, BA 12, NM 98 at 50-60% of GPA.

fd6.gif

meh.

No back pedaling here.Highlight what you will from my posts but if you read them again....I never stated I was of the mindset that I was all for selling raw 9.8 big dollar books at half GPA.

However, as RMA pointed out, I did not specifically include such qualifications as I was just throwing my 2 cents in so yeah...I can see why/how you'd possibly get that impression.....and my proverbial hats off to you for the witty image,BTW .....but, that's just not the case.

hm

I'll happily pay 50-60% of GPA for a copy of spot on 9.6 raws of Batman Adventures 12, for instance.Or New Mutants 98.Likewise, I'd pay 50-60% of GPA for a dead on 9.8 candidate of BA 12 or NM 98.I think pretty much anyone on this board would pay those figures.

As far as selling raw 9.6 to 9.8 candidates......I would only do this with books that have GPA averages of up to $150 in 9.8.

In other words, books that are likely not worth paying grading/fast pass/shipping fees on....mostly this applies to "hot" books which may not retain a higher value in a couple months.

Case in point:

Iron Man 304 and 305.....which I would happy to sell at 50% of GPA for spot on 9.8 candidates.They have dropped considerably in 9.8, since the movie hype died down and while I doubt they will drop all that much further, I have plenty of other books which take priority on having graded.

fd6.gif

meh.

No back pedaling here.Highlight what you will from my posts but if you read them again....I never stated I was of the mindset that I was all for selling raw 9.8 big dollar books at half GPA.

However, as RMA pointed out, I did not specifically include such qualifications as I was just throwing my 2 cents in so yeah...I can see why/how you'd possibly get that impression.....and my proverbial hats off to you for the witty image,BTW .....but, that's just not the case.

Yes you did. It's highlighted up there.

To answer the first question: because there are people who know what a 9.8 book looks like. GPA is for slabs....which contain comic books in a certain condition.

The slab isn't the reason the book has value...the book is. The slab is just the most acceptable opinion on the market.

Will someone sell a self-graded 9.8 for what it would sell for in a slab? 999 times out of 1,000, no. But then, there are people who will happily pay a 9.8 slab price for a 9.6 book that was gift graded. Who really got the short end of the stick there....?

I have had customers in the past who wanted raw 9.8 books by request, knew how to grade, were happy to pay 9.8 prices and absolutely did not want the book in a slab.

GPA is a record of past sales of books in CGC grades, but strict graders as well as books from other grading companies can fetch the same prices.

GPA is simply an indicator of what a book is selling for in a CGC holder but if the seller of the book grades as strict as CGC (or stricter) that seller will fetch those prices for their slabbed books.

And the bottom line really is that people are free to price their products at whatever they like and buyers are free to either buy them or pass on them.

You are mostly correct.

GPA does indeed track the sales of CGC graded books only (Go Collect tracks all graded books) but what invariably happens is that the market is then set for books in certain grades - and then books start popping up for sale ungraded at those same price points.

And while this discussion is specifically focusing on CGC graded books in 9.6/9.8 (how convenient) the fact is that books have value based on what the book actually is (title / issue number, etc) and how accurately graded it is. OR better said how much trust the buyer has in the grading of the seller.

A buyer can ask for his or her book what they want. That's really the end of it.

Shouldn't a raw 9.8 book be one of the easiest books to grade? A 9.8 should have almost no flaws or a very minor flaw; so a dealer should be able to see if a book has almost no flaws. I see nothing wrong with using gpa minus grading fees to price a 9.8.

Would I buy a raw 9.8 at 9.8 prices? No, but that's because I'm risk averse and I like to limit my downward risk; but I feel confident that I could identify a slam dunk 9.8.

To answer the first question: because there are people who know what a 9.8 book looks like. GPA is for slabs....which contain comic books in a certain condition.

The slab isn't the reason the book has value...the book is. The slab is just the most acceptable opinion on the market.

Will someone sell a self-graded 9.8 for what it would sell for in a slab? 999 times out of 1,000, no. But then, there are people who will happily pay a 9.8 slab price for a 9.6 book that was gift graded. Who really got the short end of the stick there....?

I have had customers in the past who wanted raw 9.8 books by request, knew how to grade, were happy to pay 9.8 prices and absolutely did not want the book in a slab.

GPA is a record of past sales of books in CGC grades, but strict graders as well as books from other grading companies can fetch the same prices.

GPA is simply an indicator of what a book is selling for in a CGC holder but if the seller of the book grades as strict as CGC (or stricter) that seller will fetch those prices for their slabbed books.

And the bottom line really is that people are free to price their products at whatever they like and buyers are free to either buy them or pass on them.

This!

GPA shows actual sales data for books in specific grades; the encapsulation just makes it easier to identify which book is in which grade. If you can grade accurately then gpa (minus grading costs) is a valid pricing method. I find GPA much more relevant than OSPG which has magical numbers based on what, dealer reported asking prices from a year ago? Growing up using Beckett price guide and learning what a total scam that was I like to look at actual sales data. When I'm shopping for a raw book I will determine what grade I think it is and then look at gpa to see what the potential value is and if the asking price is similar I'm good to go.

When I am buying raw books I always consult GPA pricing to see what I should be paying (relatively speaking) for a raw book.

Selling raw 9.8 books at slabbed 9.8 prices?? :screwy:

Why is it :screwy:

Some people don't want the book in a slab, regardless of the grade.