• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best way to sell keys/hot books?

28 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Before I ask my question/s wanted to say that I have greatly appreciated the conversations, knowledge, and love in reading over various posts here. Like all of you, I love comics, have a great love of the medium itself, and have greatly enjoyed what I have read here in the past year or so.

Having said that, I am recently engaged, and have a few minor keys/"hot books" that I have decided would be better as cash towards a wedding ring for my future wife, as opposed to sitting my closet. I do not have the time for ebay or craigslist.

Would it be best to take my books to a large Con in a few months, or contact a local dealer? I understand that dealers have to do work in order to sell books, even keys, and I'm willing to accept 50% of average ebay or so for the keys, and 33% for the lesser "hot books".

Anywho, my main question is, given my situation and parameters; would you take the books to a Con, or a dealer?

There are quite a few boardies here who are dealers who could sell your stuff on consignment. Or you could try to sell yourself though you may run into some skepticism as a brand new boardie selling some keys. Best of luck and welcome to the boards.

It really depends on what you have and whether or not you can accurately grade it.

If you really have any "key" books and are willing to accept reduced prices, they would sell easily here on the boards.

All the other "non or less key" books would need to be broken into lots and you may have trouble selling them (again depending on what you have).

If this is a real post, then I would do some diligence to list what you have here with grades and your expected values and people can go from there with advice. You should also take a few pictures of the "keys" and post them so people can verify them.

Or take them to a dealer/con and get fleeced. :shrug:

Tell the future wife,to deal with no ring.

Make sure you tell her that your books were there before she was,and they will be there long after she leaves.

Welcome to the boards! (thumbs u

Make sure you tell her that your books were there before she was,and they will be there long after she leaves.

^^

:gossip: Or don't tell her about the books at all and spring for a CZ.

Oakman29: I laughed. Alot. :)

I guess ya'll get alot of goofy posts here.

I don't have anything crazy, but I have some decent books.

I don't want to violate anything on the boards by saying what books I have; I know there is a selling area here. I just want to sell them, in person, to someone in the next few months.

I work alot, but there is a big Con in my area, Tampa, end of July/early August. Figured I could take off work one of those days (I usually work weekends), stop off the Con, sell some books, and make a day of it with the woman.

Oakman29: I laughed. Alot. :)

I guess ya'll get alot of goofy posts here.

I don't have anything crazy, but I have some decent books.

I don't want to violate anything on the boards by saying what books I have; I know there is a selling area here. I just want to sell them, in person, to someone in the next few months.

I work alot, but there is a big Con in my area, Tampa, end of July/early August. Figured I could take off work one of those days (I usually work weekends), stop off the Con, sell some books, and make a day of it with the woman.

:roflmao: You thought I was trying to be funny? meh

Even if you don't want to do eBay, maybe there is a trusted good friend or family member who would be willing to do it for you if they get a 10-20% cut. You'd make out way ahead for doing nothing, and your friend/family member gets an infusion of (perhaps much needed) cash.

Just thinking a bit outside the box. Good luck to you!

I use to be of the mind that my wife should just be happy if I got her a brass band because the ring means nothing. I especially felt this way after being divorced. And for some reason I'm buying a a 2k ring tomorrow... It just feels insulting to get her less after shes seen what I spend on comic books lol