• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Tomb Of Dracula #1 - "She's a beauty"

27 posts in this topic

Still can't believe I pulled this out of a $3 bin. I've only gotten lucky with comics a handful of times, but this is up there.

I wanted some opinions on this one. I'd like you to grade it from what you see in the scans.

The deal with it is there's a non-color breaking crease on it that is easily pressed out. I'm legitimately thinking about sending in a batch of books to get pressed because of this one. It's too nice to not do so. I wanted to get an estimate of where it would be grade-wise after the press.

Thanks so much.

2xTsXfy.png

weh6fxk.png

seems like an 8.5 as it stands now, possibly 9.0+

I don't see the crease you are referring to in these scans.

It can't be seen here, that's why I scanned it because I'd imagine that this is what it would look like after the press.

I'm thinking 7.5 now...but a possible 8.0 after the press...mostly because of the kinks on the front beside the spine. A beauty though, nice corners.

How in the world is that an 8.0 from what you see in the scan? ???

It is a bad opinion. Just because you have an opinion does not mean you should voice it. Especially when someone else may be relying on said opinion for a financial decision, just like in this case. That particular book may not be worth submitting in 8.0 especially figuring in the pressing cost just to go from 7.5 to 8.0 however it most certainly is worth it at 9.2+

Thank you for the opinions. I welcome anyone to do so and respect their thought process behind it. If he was stating it was a 4.0 or something absurd I'd be incline to agree with you.

Regardless I appreciate your concern and the opinions are important to me here when additional costs are involved.

I'm thinking 7.5 now...but a possible 8.0 after the press...mostly because of the kinks on the front beside the spine. A beauty though, nice corners.

How in the world is that an 8.0 from what you see in the scan? ???

I'm not prepared to assume the ticks along the spine will completely disappear after the press. This will be the risk he's taking.

Now, if I were him, I'd take a look at the 34 points you have so far in the grading contest along with the 16 I've earned to date. He can decide which opinion he values the most and act accordingly. Regardless, I stand by my opinion and am most certainly entitled to it. :)

I'm also leaning toward 8.0/8.5. I see a few spots on the right edge, specifically, about mid-point of Dracula's cape. Are those tiny tears or color flakes?

I too feel there are too many transverse spine creases (aka "ticks") for this to go anywhere above 8.5. Especially if there is the additional issue of color loss/fade in the red areas in question.

Regardless, quite the deal for $3.

I've seen 9.2 books with similar spine ticks. Looks to be two small tears on the middle of the FC near Dracula's cape. If that's the case, I don't think it'll touch 9.2.

8.5/9.0.

But still a fantastic deal. Slightly OT, but you could just post it on the bay etc raw instead of getting it slabbed. The difference on GPA between an 8.5 and a 9.2 is currently $50+. So factor in grading fees etc, you could easily make your money selling it raw without the cost of a press and slab.