• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House got robbed :(

91 posts in this topic

I noticed that I got robbed some time before the Friday of Boston Comic Con (31-July-2015 --- it's not like I take inventory on a super recurring basis).

They didn't take my slabbed books either. They took some of my raw books.

They could've taken long box(es), instead, they took the time to rifle through my collection.

^ ^ Which is scary because it makes me fear that they were hoping to "go back to the well".

As a result, I spent time performing some research on surveillance systems.

There are multiple brands that are well acclaimed.

My only suggestions are to go wired, not wireless. And to either have a text alert when motion is detected or upload your video to the cloud (cloud will incur monthly charges ~$9 a month).

I strongly recommend one to buy a surveillance system if your collection is sizable. It is worth every $. The peace of mind alone is worth it.

It is much cheaper than you think ($300+ for a very good system -- easy to set up).

Casey....any more news about the break-in since the last post in here?

Hi, no news unfortunately, which I pretty much expected. The detective told me a lot of cases like this never get solved or can take years to solve.

We finally got done cataloging everything that was stolen and are just waiting to see how much the insurance company will reimburse us.

I'm fairly close to finishing off rebuilding my X-Men collection. I've had some help on the boards and a lot of people gave me some nice deals on books, I really appreciate it and give a heartfelt thank you. They know who they are :)

The big test will be next time we go away on vacation. We had a security system put in and have added a couple of extra surveillance cameras that are independent of the security system. I'm feeling pretty good about it but my wife is still nervous.

Casey....any more news about the break-in since the last post in here?

Hi, no news unfortunately, which I pretty much expected. The detective told me a lot of cases like this never get solved or can take years to solve.

We finally got done cataloging everything that was stolen and are just waiting to see how much the insurance company will reimburse us.

I'm fairly close to finishing off rebuilding my X-Men collection. I've had some help on the boards and a lot of people gave me some nice deals on books, I really appreciate it and give a heartfelt thank you. They know who they are :)

The big test will be next time we go away on vacation. We had a security system put in and have added a couple of extra surveillance cameras that are independent of the security system. I'm feeling pretty good about it but my wife is still nervous.

I'm going to tag your every move in Baltimore.

I noticed that I got robbed some time before the Friday of Boston Comic Con (31-July-2015 --- it's not like I take inventory on a super recurring basis).

They didn't take my slabbed books either. They took some of my raw books.

They could've taken long box(es), instead, they took the time to rifle through my collection.

^ ^ Which is scary because it makes me fear that they were hoping to "go back to the well".

As a result, I spent time performing some research on surveillance systems.

There are multiple brands that are well acclaimed.

My only suggestions are to go wired, not wireless. And to either have a text alert when motion is detected or upload your video to the cloud (cloud will incur monthly charges ~$9 a month).

I strongly recommend one to buy a surveillance system if your collection is sizable. It is worth every $. The peace of mind alone is worth it.

It is much cheaper than you think ($300+ for a very good system -- easy to set up).

This. Been there. Having a high resolution - multi-camera - system is definitely a learning curve, but gives my wife peace of mind. In my case, the higher resolution cost a bit more, and was harder to set up, but definitely worth it. You can also set it up to monitor on your smart phone outside the home, and watch remotely whenever the sensors trigger an alert.

OP. Sorry to hear about it.

Logan (Casey) is OP. :foryou:

I was too :shy: to post my experience on the boards.

I didn't see much of a mention of surveillance systems in this thread.

So I changed my mind and gave my 2c .

Prior to the loss, I was too afraid of up-front cost, recurring cost and set up of a surveillence system.

I wanted to bring to folks' awareness of how feasible a camera system is.

That said, yes, the droid/I-Phone apps and cloud storage are :luhv: