• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, I'm Watching Penny Dreadful.....

66 posts in this topic

I was ready to turn it off halfway through, but it picked up at the end. My question is this - what is possessing her if she can scare off both Lucifer and Dracula? She said her God is with her - is she possessed by another Angel? Or, something from an older religion?

My money's on Yog-Sothoth .

Hi Ethan's dad.

Bye, Ethan's dad.

:ohnoez:

That happened fast. But what a dark and twisted episode. Especially when you realize the trap Dracula has been planning for Ms. Ives.

:fear:

I love the show and I have been watching it from the start as well. for the last few episodes I have been waiting for dr jeckle to drink something and mr hyde show up.

I'm thinking the way they have ended the past couple seasons that it may be one of the last things we see this season

I love the show and I have been watching it from the start as well. for the last few episodes I have been waiting for dr jeckle to drink something and mr hyde show up.

I'm thinking the way they have ended the past couple seasons that it may be one of the last things we see this season

I'd bet folding money on that!

Finished Episode Nine, which is the end of the entire series.

WOW! What a way to go out. It definitely convinced me some of these actors that I always assumed were B and C-level are really at the top of their game.

:applause:

Loved every single episode except the last. Seemed rushed and very unfinished. They keep saying it was always planned to end at 3 seasons but I don't feel that was decided until recently.

I wonder if they learned that it would not be renewed during filming, hence the rushed/unfinished feel as the tried to tie things up, or if they learned about it afterwards and some scenes had to be reshot which led to the rushed/unfinished feel?

Watched the full 9 episodes over the last two days - late at night after the wife has gone to bed.

Words can't describe how much I love this show - it's measured, deliberate, thoughtful and so much more than the 'Gothic horror' tag that hangs around its neck. I love its literacy, both in its references and its language - I don't think that I have seen a show with such a wide use of vocabulary.

Episode 4, were Vanessa is in the asylum was one of the most emotional episodes of TV that I have ever seen.

I'm sorry to see it end but it could have only ended in that manner.

I really wanted to see where Doctor Jekyll and Lord Hyde would take us. But better they take you out wanting more on a high note, then ending with just a scene with all the characters sitting there looking at each other.

Loved every single episode except the last. Seemed rushed and very unfinished. They keep saying it was always planned to end at 3 seasons but I don't feel that was decided until recently.

I agree I didn't like the episode or the ending. While I understood why they went that way it just didn't seem to fit the entire series.

I really wanted to see where Doctor Jekyll and Lord Hyde would take us. But better they take you out wanting more on a high note, then ending with just a scene with all the characters sitting there looking at each other.

I thought Hyde was a complete waste. The last part of this season I didn't like. I thought the buildup to Dracula was let down in the end. The slow pace of the series I think just didn't work for me this year. Don't get me wrong I liked the series it just didn't end well for me and I am sure I am not alone.

I thought Hyde was a complete waste. The last part of this season I didn't like. I thought the buildup to Dracula was let down in the end. The slow pace of the series I think just didn't work for me this year. Don't get me wrong I liked the series it just didn't end well for me and I am sure I am not alone.

They appeared to be building things up with an eye to next season at the start, but likely learned of the show being cancelled midway through and had to tie things up instead. This led to the rushed feel and waste of character development. Dracula has been in the background from Season 1 and it would have been fun to see them chase after him for another season.

The Ethan origin/Hecate storyline seemed rushed as well. I thought they would drag that out to the end of the season and then have everyone heading back to London to go after Vanessa and Dracula next year.

Dracula did seem to pick up speed rather fast, and Ms. Ives converted to his side rather quickly versus the slow and dark seduction. Then the vampire nest being destroyed so rapidly by such a small group. I can see why fans would feel like late-breaking news came in there was no Season Four, so the cast and crew just wrapped it all up in the end as clean as they could.

Even The Monster finally tracking down his family, and just like that it was all over.

Dracula did seem to pick up speed rather fast, and Ms. Ives converted to his side rather quickly versus the slow and dark seduction. Then the vampire nest being destroyed so rapidly by such a small group. I can see why fans would feel like late-breaking news came in there was no Season Four, so the cast and crew just wrapped it all up in the end as clean as they could.

Even The Monster finally tracking down his family, and just like that it was all over.

Yeah, I definitely think that the last couple of episodes at least were them trying to finish everything off.

It's a shame really because the show had such high quality in all aspects. When I eventually buy the box sets I'll forgo alphabetical order and store it next to Deadwood.