• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you determine the value of a Signature?

74 posts in this topic

I prefer signatures on trashed condition, lower grade books.

To me, getting a high grade book actually is detrimental to the condition and re-marketability, knowing there are so many purists out there who see any alteration such as a signature to be a defect and deal breaker.

I believe getting a signature raises the value of lower grade books, where it can possibly in the long haul be detrimental to the value of higher grade books, in part by limiting the buying audience to those who care or place value on a signature.

So, for Stan Lee as an example, he charges in the $50-100 range for his autograph and to get it CGC graded is probably another $50... so at minimum you'll need at least sell a book for $100 just to cover the expenses of the process. With that, I'd say, any Stan Lee Signature Series book in any grade is at minimum worth $100.

Getting a common current book autographed or a low grade older book often turns what's undesirable with little value, to something that has a bit more demand for it and can be sold more easily. I find that $2.99 cover price books that are now in the $1 bins, when you get a signature can often command at least the original $2.99 cover price at resale depending on the artist/writer. So, it's turning trash into treasure.

If I were a true purist of high grade comics, I'd consider getting the autograph as it was done pre-eBay era, when creators used to open a comic book and sign the bottom of the 1st page with a ball point pen instead of using markers on the covers. Sure, you can't "see" it (the autograph) if it's slabbed, but you can't read the comic book either when it's encased.

I agree with everything you say here. Especially the last part. I'm "old school" and was recently told that by Neal Addams. He even asked me if I was going to slab it and I said no. He didn't even charge me! Cool guy!

I don't slab books and have always gotton autographs inside at the bottom of what ever story they worked on in BALLPOINT pen. I do it for my self and have never worried about if anyone else would question if real or not. It's always fun to open a book and see a Kirby, Steranko, Schuster, Wood ect sig. Those guys are pre-CGC anyway.

And, I just can't see paying $100 to get a book signed, slabbed from anybody especially someone like Stan who seems to do it for a living.

I agree with everything you say here. Especially the last part. I'm "old school" and was recently told that by Neal Addams. He even asked me if I was going to slab it and I said no. He didn't even charge me! Cool guy!

You sure you're talking about Neal Adams?

Oh, back to the original question you asked...

To me, there are two things to consider. 1.) The value of said person's autograph, say on a blank piece of paper. and 2.) the value on the item that is being signed. Add them together and you get a ball park value.

Although, it really comes down to what the piece is worth you and what it is worth to a potential buyer...

Yep, I think he found it refreshing to meet some one who was a real fan and wasn't planning to make money off him. I was the only one there and we had a nice maybe 15 minute conversation.

I would rather NOT have a signature, and don't bid on SS books because of it. Using Stan Lee as an example, in 20 years key Marvels without his signature will be worth more, and there will be fewer of them.

No, not really.

Agreed --- even if every Signature Series book was signed by Stan Lee, there are 20 universal slabs for every 1 signature slab for books from the 1960s and 1970s.

For keys, it's:

6:1 for Amazing Fantasy #15 (6 universal for each 1 signature)

6:1 for Amazing Spider-Man #1

7:1 for Daredevil #1

6:1 for Fantastic Four #1

6:1 for Fantastic Four #48

5:1 for Avengers #1

7:1 for Incredible Hulk #1

8:1 for Journey into Mystery #83

10:1 for Strange Tales #110

7:1 for Tales to Astonish #27

6:1 for Tales of Suspense #39

5:1 for X-Men #1

These are interesting ratios.

And even at these ratios, that's waaaaay too many SS books. Especially the Spidey, Iron Man, Avengers, FF and X men books. 5 to 1? Come on. doh! Once these artifacts are written on they can never be un-written on. 20% of a mega key's population lost to SS just seems like over kill and unnecessary IMO.

-J.

Good way of looking at it, that strikes a cord. But end of the day it goes to personal preference. If I had the $ I'd welcome owning a blue label and yellow of each book. But still, my Infantino and Trimpe signatures mean a lot to me. I remember obtaining those books (no keys) and remember meeting them while getting the signatures. My way of saying "thanks" to these amazing creators.

Yep, I think he found it refreshing to meet some one who was a real fan and wasn't planning to make money off him. I was the only one there and we had a nice maybe 15 minute conversation.

He meets tons of "real" fans at every show I see him at - I just can't remember the last time he didn't charge for his signature ...

I would rather NOT have a signature, and don't bid on SS books because of it. Using Stan Lee as an example, in 20 years key Marvels without his signature will be worth more, and there will be fewer of them.

No, not really.

Agreed --- even if every Signature Series book was signed by Stan Lee, there are 20 universal slabs for every 1 signature slab for books from the 1960s and 1970s.

For keys, it's:

And even at these ratios, that's waaaaay too many SS books. Especially the Spidey, Iron Man, Avengers, FF and X men books. 5 to 1? Come on. doh! Once these artifacts are written on they can never be un-written on. 20% of a mega key's population lost to SS just seems like over kill and unnecessary IMO.

-J.

Good way of looking at it, that strikes a cord. But end of the day it goes to personal preference. If I had the $ I'd welcome owning a blue label and yellow of each book. But still, my Infantino and Trimpe signatures mean a lot to me. I remember obtaining those books (no keys) and remember meeting them while getting the signatures. My way of saying "thanks" to these amazing creators.

agree, everyone has different preferences.

But lets say I've been holding onto my favorite comic since 1963, and I finally got a chance to meet Stan Lee (who has written countless comics I've loved) and have him sign my favorite comic. I understand why people may not choose to do this, but I don't understand how people can deride that very personal decision.

No, not really.

For keys, it's:

-J.

agree, everyone has different preferences.

But lets say I've been holding onto my favorite comic since 1963, and I finally got a chance to meet Stan Lee (who has written countless comics I've loved) and have him sign my favorite comic. I understand why people may not choose to do this, but I don't understand how people can deride that very personal decision.

Because WICRAWYCS

5 to 1? Come on. doh! Once these artifacts are written on they can never be un-written on. 20% of a mega key's population lost to SS just seems like over kill and unnecessary IMO.

Just a minor (nerd) detail... if the ratio is 5 to 1, then there are 6 books being described. 1 out of every 6 is 16.7% not 20%. (thumbs u

He meets tons of "real" fans at every show I see him at - I just can't remember the last time he didn't charge for his signature ...

My brother and I had a nice conversation with him at Wizard World Sacramento about Batman: Odyssey, He didn't charge me for his signing 2 TPBs and a Tec comic. He didn't charge my brother either :shrug:

Maybe he just doesn't like you?

5 to 1? Come on. doh! Once these artifacts are written on they can never be un-written on. 20% of a mega key's population lost to SS just seems like over kill and unnecessary IMO.

Just a minor (nerd) detail... if the ratio is 5 to 1, then there are 6 books being described. 1 out of every 6 is 16.7% not 20%. (thumbs u

(thumbs u (I internally questioned if you had meant "1 out of 5". Rather than belabor the point I just rounded to the nearest 10 lol )

-J.

Maybe he just doesn't like you?

Could be hm